PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical- If you had $80k to spend, what would you buy?

WhiskeyRunner
08-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Is it me, or is there a gap between the 60k and 100k range of boats? I know there's a reason we all bought Moombas (price to value ratio), but I want to know- if folks had an 80k budget, and they wanted to upgrade to the next level of surfing, what would you buy (any brand) and why? It just seems like you quickly find yourself in the land of 100k+ which is just a massive jump and the increased wave and boat don't match. Am I crazy?

Couple specs I was using for this if you take the challenge:

- new 2015 or 2016 models
- 21ft max overall length (not including platform)
- not a bunch of crazy options (underwater lights, expensive trailer, etc...)
- Moderate engine upgrade
- emphasis on surfing

Any recommendations?

BamaMojo
08-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Probably look for a 14' LSV Malibu slightly used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KG's Supra24
08-21-2015, 12:50 AM
http://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-Supra-SC400-4-hrs-SALE-for-sale-Albany-Kentucky-48372.aspx

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-TIGE-Z1-for-sale-SUISUN-CITY-California-49565.aspx

That Guy
08-21-2015, 01:14 AM
I think the 21ft requirement is a tough one IMO. If you bump that up to 22ft I think it opens up quite a bit more boats that you could consider for the money.

sandm
08-21-2015, 05:54 AM
^
this. I would not spend 80k on a 21ft boat but since you asked, I would compare the supreme s21, mb 21tomcat and tige z1.

80k on a 22ft boat would be enzo, craz or rz2 as a surf boat based on location. if I was back in the nw, I would add supreme 226 to the list.

07STI
08-21-2015, 07:58 AM
I just went through this and decided that I'd be much more comfortable being in the $60k - $70k range on the boat (depending on options), and then have some money left over for upgrades and more gear. I basically have a "boat fund."

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're looking for an upgrade on surfing, you'd be better served going with a 22'+ boat vs a more expensive 21. Is the length a storage issue? If so, I'd take some of the extra money you're saving by not using your full $80k budget and apply that towards a storage unit.

JoelFett
08-21-2015, 08:22 AM
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-Malibu-Wakesetter-VLX-664309

This wouldn't be too far down my list, If I had to stick to your options

mmandley
08-21-2015, 10:02 AM
If i had 80K to spend, I would pay off my new Ram and the Mojo.

Since I do not, I will keep paying my double Mojo payments until its paid off, then roll that to my Ram.

kaneboats
08-21-2015, 10:09 AM
I don't have 80k lying around but if I did it wouldn't be going toward a boat. Only new boat I would consider would be the Craz but I haven't paid off my LSV yet and still really like it.

WhiskeyRunner
08-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately my lake is private (ran mostly by blue-haired pontoon drivers) and they restrict boats to the 21ft max; which is why the Mondo was a perfect fit. To my surprise, after my 4th knee surgery last summer, surfing has become my prime activity and the Mondo just isn't giving me the length to go to the next level. The sweet spot is close to the boat regardless of my attempted configurations. Granted the hull has a lot to do with that, but I was hoping there was a moderately priced 21 footer that was meeting those requirements.

I just don't have a need for bells and whistles, but a better wave is always the desire. I can add on the autoflow and throw a sack in the cabin, but the allure of a new boat is always lingering like a bad habit.

jmvotto
08-21-2015, 02:06 PM
Is it me, or is there a gap between the 60k and 100k range of boats? I know there's a reason we all bought Moombas (price to value ratio), but I want to know- if folks had an 80k budget, and they wanted to upgrade to the next level of surfing, what would you buy (any brand) and why? It just seems like you quickly find yourself in the land of 100k+ which is just a massive jump and the increased wave and boat don't match. Am I crazy?

Couple specs I was using for this if you take the challenge:

- new 2015 or 2016 models
- 21ft max overall length (not including platform)
- not a bunch of crazy options (underwater lights, expensive trailer, etc...)
- Moderate engine upgrade
- emphasis on surfing

Any recommendations?

what's wrong with your Mondo that you wish you had..

edit just read above post

tige Z1 puts out a great wave for a 21 ft boat

trayson
08-21-2015, 05:40 PM
What about a supreme S21?

http://1uj7k91di07flrn6e1nwiwvw.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/bfi_thumb/s12-top-view-mdvgnib9nyqpmyelwg501mcpzjat8g4wo9d861adt4.jpg

Or a MB Sports F21 Tomcat?
http://www.mbsports.net/image/F21_Tomcat_BKGRND.jpg

WhiskeyRunner
08-21-2015, 07:57 PM
they definitely meet some of the specs... are they good surf boats? I'm not familiar with either the supreme or tomcat to know if they are worth it. I'm surprised no one has recommended the Centurion SS210... are they not reliable?

mmandley
08-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Generally not the best idea to talk about all the competitors boats in a light such as this.

Like always said, go surf them and make a choice. All the competitors have + - to them.

Even now as I ride behind other boats the one thing that always rings true is the service I always get from SC and this forum.

trayson
08-21-2015, 08:35 PM
they definitely meet some of the specs... are they good surf boats? I'm not familiar with either the supreme or tomcat to know if they are worth it. I'm surprised no one has recommended the Centurion SS210... are they not reliable?

Supreme is to Centurion what Moomba is to Supra. Centurions have positioned them as surf boats first and foremost, and those with Supremes tend to be happy with them as the "budget" versions of Centurions. MB sports has a strong following, mainly on the west coast and they are likewise positioned primarily as a surf boat.

It's too bad you can't fine what you want in an under 21' skiers choice boat. Damn them stoopid length rules.
I think any wakeboat these days is going to be pretty reliable. They share lots of technologies after all.

Greg Davison
08-21-2015, 09:03 PM
We ride the Nautique demo every year with our Moomba dealer, the 210 has one heck of a wave compared to my Mondo. I could just not spend the extra money.

valleywine
08-22-2015, 02:05 AM
I've seen both the supreme and the mb for $60K new. Maybe a product of CA drought, not sure but I know nobody is selling any boats this year here. I'm partial to the supreme's looks vs the mb. I think both boats make a great surf wake.

I have a friend with a RZ2 and it makes a great wake also. Guessing the Z1 would be similar but don't know how much it costs.

sandm
08-22-2015, 05:39 AM
the OP lives in virginia according to his profile. MB and Supreme are west coast boats. I would not entertain either with a spotty dealer network out east.

I have some reservations posting on here about other boats as it is a skiers(moomba) website, but they do not make a 21ft that will fit what the OP is looking for. having seen the mondo surfwave in person, it is good, but not in the same caliber as a longer boat. 20ft boats just don't surf well. at a 21ft limit, I think that even supra would be too long. z1 is where I would put my $$. in the old enzo world, the 23/24 ft boats surfed amazingly, but the 21ft was always the red-headed stepchild. not sure if the ss210 is still the same way, but worth a look if you have a dealer network.

jmvotto
08-22-2015, 07:21 AM
The tige z1 is 21.5 feet much like the supra sc . Not sure what the actual limits on the lake are but if you stuck with a sub 21 ft boat, the mondo is where it's at. Which I believe has a better surf wake thank the mc x20 but is not in your price range.

WhiskeyRunner
08-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Generally not the best idea to talk about all the competitors boats in a light such as this.

Like always said, go surf them and make a choice. All the competitors have + - to them.

Even now as I ride behind other boats the one thing that always rings true is the service I always get from SC and this forum.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of surfing behind a bunch of other boats. This is a forum... forums are meant to be informative and facilitate discussion. There's a reason there are other boats out there, no reason to avoid talking about it. There's also a reason why Moomba has a solid following, which is bolstered when talking about other boats in my opinion. If you have a good product, it will speak for itself. In fact, this discussion alone has been helpful in learning just how much value I get out of my Mondo, so thank you to everyone for helping me with the hypothetical. My hunch seems accurate, for a bit more money, I don't really see anything impressive that would be worth it.

smorris7
08-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Nautique 210 is unbeatable for surf and wakeboard wake in the 21 ft segment. You can get a 14 model in your price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mobius22
08-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Pretty sure a used SC350 can be had in that range as well, and it would beat the 210 in pretty much every category

Here's one for 70K

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-Supra-SC350-102577582

wolfeman131
08-22-2015, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure a used SC350 can be had in that range as well, and it would beat the 210 in pretty much every category

Here's one for 70K

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2014-Supra-SC350-102577582

yep. no need to leave SC.

I'd go with a SC or new Mondo with autoflow + 2 hot, Asian girlfriends.

KG's Supra24
08-22-2015, 12:14 PM
SC doesn't fit the 21 limit

Mobius22
08-22-2015, 12:18 PM
It's a 21 foot boat, just not 21 even. Didn't know how strict that is

valleywine
08-22-2015, 12:57 PM
the OP lives in virginia according to his profile. MB and Supreme are west coast boats. I would not entertain either with a spotty dealer network out east.

I have some reservations posting on here about other boats as it is a skiers(moomba) website, but they do not make a 21ft that will fit what the OP is looking for. having seen the mondo surfwave in person, it is good, but not in the same caliber as a longer boat. 20ft boats just don't surf well. at a 21ft limit, I think that even supra would be too long. z1 is where I would put my $$. in the old enzo world, the 23/24 ft boats surfed amazingly, but the 21ft was always the red-headed stepchild. not sure if the ss210 is still the same way, but worth a look if you have a dealer network.

Most of our dealers out west are pretty solid w/ the exception of maybe 1-2. Maybe I'm making the assumption that the rest of the country is the same. Maybe that's not so true. And I think engine warranty work doesn't necessarily need to be done by the dealer, but a certified shop. Understood how important the dealer can be for related boat warranty items.

It's worth a demo if you can. Then you will know exactly what the difference is and if it's worth the cost.

mmandley
08-22-2015, 10:59 PM
Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of surfing behind a bunch of other boats. This is a forum... forums are meant to be informative and facilitate discussion. There's a reason there are other boats out there, no reason to avoid talking about it. There's also a reason why Moomba has a solid following, which is bolstered when talking about other boats in my opinion. If you have a good product, it will speak for itself. In fact, this discussion alone has been helpful in learning just how much value I get out of my Mondo, so thank you to everyone for helping me with the hypothetical. My hunch seems accurate, for a bit more money, I don't really see anything impressive that would be worth it.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But I have seen in the past how these threads get, then watched how they are shut down.

I'd be more then willing to share my thought and experience behind the different boats I have surfed, but as I have in the past, this honestly is not the best place for that discussion.

Even though this forum is tolerant of other boat discussions it's still a SC forum, just like any other major boat forum, when you cross that line in the discussion it will be shut down.

sandm
08-23-2015, 10:29 AM
Most of our dealers out west are pretty solid w/ the exception of maybe 1-2. Maybe I'm making the assumption that the rest of the country is the same. Maybe that's not so true. And I think engine warranty work doesn't necessarily need to be done by the dealer, but a certified shop. Understood how important the dealer can be for related boat warranty items.

It's worth a demo if you can. Then you will know exactly what the difference is and if it's worth the cost.

born and 44 years in boise idaho so I know the western dealers and have looked at/ridden mb's/supremes. great boats but out here in wisconsin, I would not touch either one new as there is no dealer network. you are correct in getting engine work done but the fit/finish issues that come up with every boat would be a nightmare.

I would not be in my current boat had I not bought it before moving here. dealer is a tank of gas to drop off and to pick up. that's not worth it. had some work done at the local mc dealer and although they will work on it, I did grab my ankles pretty hard as I paid the bill. wouldn't have happened with a dealer closer.

bergermaister
08-23-2015, 09:09 PM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?27023-2015-Supra-SC400-SWELL-RAPTOR-EXILE-SOUND-SYSTEM

Done. We can close this thread now.

jmvotto
08-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Yeah. Not sure where the thread is really going.

SC is definitely the 21 ft choice Under 21. Mondo is the option

sandm
08-24-2015, 07:13 AM
sc is 21.8. if the lake, as the op suggested, is ran by blue hairs in tooners, the first surf rollers he throws will have them investigating and figure out it's not a 21ft boat.

on that note, love to have that sc.

viking
08-25-2015, 09:02 AM
to the OP.......if you want to learn about the other brands hit up their forums as well. Lots of discussions on the various models.
Dealer definitely plays a role in geographical location.

Cam3sc
06-06-2016, 12:01 AM
Random but I can no longer see Moomba's Facebook page...what gives? lol

moombadaze
06-06-2016, 09:30 AM
id buy the 08 LSV in Montana that is dang near bone stock, add my own ballast system and Exile the heck out of it and put 40k in the bank

Blueliner
06-08-2016, 11:41 AM
id buy the 08 LSV in Montana that is dang near bone stock, add my own ballast system and Exile the heck out of it and put 40k in the bank

I would by a Used mondo with a double axle trailer. If I could go larger a used LSV 2012 ish?

I could never spend $80K on a boat even if I had the cash to spare, too many other interests to support.

mmandley
06-09-2016, 09:39 AM
If i had 80K to spend, I would pay off my new Ram and the Mojo.

Since I do not, I will keep paying my double Mojo payments until its paid off, then roll that to my Ram.

Since we sold the house, I actually do have the 80K sitting in the bank.
Interesting this thread came up again lol.

Seeing my response here still makes me actually want to do what I said, but instead we paid off the couple small bills we have, and the rest is staying in savings until we figure out what lake home we are going to buy.

At that time if our finance guy suggests to pay off the Ram and Mojo and eat the mortgage insurance cost we will, but until then we are sitting tight on the house money.

wolff supra21v
06-09-2016, 12:07 PM
I would be interest what the SC title says for length (if they show inches). Most our private lakes in IL goes off of the title and if the measure it you can take the title in and fight it. We got one lake that is 21' or less and one that is 22' or less. one of my friends have around a 07 supra 22v and that is 22'9" (no problems cause the title says 22' on the 22' limit lake) But another friend has an 09 x-star and is constantly fight because his title shows something like 22'4".

MJHSupra
06-09-2016, 02:12 PM
I would be interest what the SC title says for length (if they show inches). Most our private lakes in IL goes off of the title and if the measure it you can take the title in and fight it. We got one lake that is 21' or less and one that is 22' or less. one of my friends have around a 07 supra 22v and that is 22'9" (no problems cause the title says 22' on the 22' limit lake) But another friend has an 09 x-star and is constantly fight because his title shows something like 22'4".

Good point. I vote for the used (and loved)
SC 350.

Dandy21
06-10-2016, 09:09 AM
Did anyone else notice that this thread gained traction with a reply on June 5th and prior to that the thread was in Aug 2015. Everyone is responding to a question nearly a year old with boats that most likely are not for sale. None the less it's fun to see everyone's thought process.

Wax
06-10-2016, 09:25 AM
Did anyone else notice that this thread gained traction with a reply on June 5th and prior to that the thread was in Aug 2015. Everyone is responding to a question nearly a year old with boats that most likely are not for sale. None the less it's fun to see everyone's thought process.

Sometimes that happens...

FYI, I'd buy a $20-30k boat like a 06+ LSV or the boat I have now, and bank/invest the rest like moombadaze said...oh wait, that's already what I do! Although, I don't have $80k cash to spend on a boat. Banks I'm sure would give it to me though, and I hear 30 year loans are happening on boats now!!!!

jmvotto
06-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Random but I can no longer see Moomba's Facebook page...what gives? lol

and it all started with this ...LOL

sandm
06-10-2016, 12:49 PM
from a guy with 2 posts :)

MJHSupra
06-10-2016, 01:09 PM
from a guy with 2 posts :)

Yep, and then people start dreaming of the 80k . . . .

sandm
06-11-2016, 06:49 AM
well it's easy to with a 30 year note. payments are only $400/month... on a boat that now runs $155k :)

Cam3sc
06-12-2016, 01:48 AM
and it all started with this ...LOL

Glad I could finally contribute:oops:

JASONZ
06-13-2016, 12:23 PM
I think you could buy a 2014 G21 for 80k...but def low 80s Most of the listings are from 89 - 95 but I think you can do it if you starting making offers.

zabooda
06-13-2016, 07:43 PM
If I had 80 grand I would buy a K-Car. A nice Reliant automobile

ghebert1111
06-13-2016, 07:47 PM
If I had 80 grand I would buy a K-Car. A nice Reliant automobile

Nice BNL Reference.