PDA

View Full Version : PNW dealers

senna1
06-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I will be buying a new boat next spring and Supra and Moomba are on my short list. However, the closest dealer is Gonnason's and it is about 1 hour away and during rush hour(s), forget it. After scouring many of these discussion boards, it seems that the dealer is almost as important as the brand of boat so I'm doing my research.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the buying experience and service issues for Gonnason's or any other dealers in the PNW?

Thanks in advance!

zabooda
06-16-2006, 04:30 PM
I got my boat from the Portland dealer but since that time the dealership changed hands. I worked with the dealer in Post Falls Idaho (30 miles east of Spokane) and he was really helpful. Stay away from the one in Kennewick (Shumates) as they are new to the business and the service department is clueless. They sell motorcycles also and I had a real experience in purchasing one this winter. I had the cycle shipped from Wisconsin and it was still a lot cheaper than what they would sell it for. Unless you want to travel, the servicing of the boat would normally be done by your local dealer so you may need to visit Gonnason's just to check out the service department. I know that traffic scene well and pulling a boat around is no fun. The traffic is good for one thing...it keeps the people off the water. I'm five minutes from work and five minutes to the water so for me and my croonies we are out on the water and back by 5PM just in time to avoid the evening crowd. Good luck boat hunting.

boatnuts
06-20-2006, 12:17 PM
DONT BUY FROM GONNASON'S!!!! I have had nothing but problems with their service department. I live North of Seattle and I now take my boat to Portland for Moomba service. You name it and they have done it to my boat!! Plus, they stole my brand new boat cover (while in for service) and replaced it with a nasty old one and claimed it was the cover I left with the boat. They have mangled my electrical, torn my seat covers, etc. Their sales department is great in the beginning, until you have service problems and they say they cannot help you. Anyway, go to Kennewick or Portland to buy your boat.

Wolf-
06-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by senna1
I will be buying a new boat next spring and Supra and Moomba are on my short list. However, the closest dealer is Gonnason's and it is about 1 hour away and during rush hour(s), forget it. After scouring many of these discussion boards, it seems that the dealer is almost as important as the brand of boat so I'm doing my research.

I really didn't have a choice here in Georgia. My closest dealer is on the north side of atlanta. My first trip up to the dealership to look at Moomba's, I insisted on visiting the service area to look around. My next trip up, brought my wife and we bought.

Things to look for:
1. Clean environment. If there is oil and debris all over, expect your carpet and vinyl to get damaged there.
2. Plenty of space. Often exterior damage occurs when two jobs are sitting too close together.
3. Talk to the mechanics. How long have they been working here? How long in the marine industry? How long in the local area?
4. Has the service department received awards for customer service?
5. Do they have pre/post service storage? Is it covered? If not, near a road? Do they wash the craft for you when you pick it up?
6. Ask the mechanic some questions specific to your boat. Ask him how to add something later that they would normally charge you for. Is he free with the information or does he prefer you bring it in?

Lpfeil
06-29-2006, 01:24 AM
Senna1,

Where in th PNW are you. I bought my 2004 Moomba from Gonnasons. Sales people were great, Can,nt say the same for the service dept. I live in North Seattle and have my service done at Ski Master Water Sports in Kenmore. They use to sell Moombas and are still a authorized Skiers Choice service dept.

Hope the info helps.

Larry

Tanners
06-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Moomba and Supra are great boats and good choices BUT there are a lot of nice boats that will fit your needs. I agree with the previous posters that the Service Dept of a Dealer is critical. AND closeness of the dealership to where you keep your boat. I bought a boat several years ago from a showroom/service about 15 miles from home. 6 months later they moved the service dept 40-miles from home. I found that to be very inconvienient and probably would have picked a different boat if I had known.

Good luck

senna1
06-29-2006, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the responses. I posted this same query on the Mastercraft and Tige forums about their local dealers since these were the other 2 top contenders for me. Guess what? Same type of responses. It appears everyone has or knows someone that has a horror story or two about our local boat dealers. I'm not discounting anyone's response but it seemed to be the common theme.

Anyway, I went to look at the boats and really liked them. So they made me an offer for an '07 21V that was just too good to pass up. The other dealers didn't seem very interested in dealing at all. To be fair, I wasn't trying very hard but did want to get a feel for how negotiable things were. So they got my business and my boat is on order now.

Lpfeil, this is good news as I am in Snohomish. I'm going to call them tomorrow and check it out. Where do you usually go boating? I've got Lake Stevens in my backyard but it can get busy. It's great for quick outings though so that's where I usually end up.

Again, thanks everybody.

Lpfeil
07-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Senna1,

Have not been on Lake Stevens yet. Took a drive up there one day just to check out, looks like a nice lake but afraid it would be packed on nice weekend days. Spend most of our time on Lake Wash., when its not to rough. My son has been to Lake Goodwin which is nice but can also get very crowded. Seems to go with the turf I guess. Theres a lake and campground just over the pass on I-90 that we spend a week at usually the end of each July that is really great. Being there during the week we usually have the lake to ourselfs.We try to also get over there for a day couple times during the summer. We were over there Saturday July 1st. in the lake at 10 am, by 3 pm were a lot of boats and jetskis out but the lake is big enough where it,s not a problem.

If your interested in more info on the lake contact me at [email protected]

Lpfeil

cj11302000
07-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Gotta give my two cents about Gonnasons. I dealt with Jason in sales and he was great. I got a good deal on my 2005 Outback. I had them install a sub, amp, and tower speakers and that turned out great. The service dept. does suck! They are messy, slow, and somewhat clueless. I get the opinion that the sales people don't even like the service department. They did do a good job on the first service and winterize. They have been somewhat responsive, but I've had to bitch pretty good. I referred a friend there who bought a Supra. He had an engine problem that the service dept. couldn't fix. They had his boat for over a week...he'd only had it a few days. He had to get pissed. They are now putting a new engine in his boat and is supposed to get it back this week. They did give him a loaner boat.

So, Gonnasons is o.k. as far as service...I will continue to use them unless I have another bad experience.

cj11302000
07-19-2006, 12:51 AM
Gotta give my two cents about Gonnasons. I dealt with Jason in sales and he was great. I got a good deal on my 2005 Outback. I had them install a sub, amp, and tower speakers and that turned out great. The service dept. does suck! They are messy, slow, and somewhat clueless. I get the opinion that the sales people don't even like the service department. They did do a good job on the first service and winterize. They have been somewhat responsive, but I've had to bitch pretty good. I referred a friend there who bought a Supra. He had an engine problem that the service dept. couldn't fix. They had his boat for over a week...he'd only had it a few days. He had to get pissed. They are now putting a new engine in his boat and is supposed to get it back this week. They did give him a loaner boat.

So, Gonnasons is o.k. as far as service...I will continue to use them unless I have another bad experience.