PDA

View Full Version : V-drive leaking oil on my 13 LSV

Kstalvey
08-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Checking the motor yesterday and found oil in the bilge on my 13 LSV. The bottom of the v drive was nasty from what appears to be a small leak. Can I just pull the v drive and replace seals? Open to suggestions

DOCDRS
08-20-2015, 12:32 PM
How much is it leaking, is the level down on the dipstick. Is it still under warranty? Where is it leaking from. Shaft or a cover plate bolt or other?

Kstalvey
08-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Not under warranty. Checked the bottom of the v drive and saw oil on the two bottom bolts closest to the fuel tank. Looks like there are four nuts holding a bottom plate on. Checked the tightness of the four nuts and they were tight. Drain plug on front and back were also tight. Could it be leaking from a bad gasket on that plate?

rje-3
08-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Not under warranty. Checked the bottom of the v drive and saw oil on the two bottom bolts closest to the fuel tank. Looks like there are four nuts holding a bottom plate on. Checked the tightness of the four nuts and they were tight. Drain plug on front and back were also tight. Could it be leaking from a bad gasket on that plate?

If you bought your 2013 LSV new the engine is still under warranty. The Moomba boat warranty is only two years, unless you got an extended warranty at the Boat Show or something else. The engine, however, is warrantied separately by Indmar, not Moomba. If you are the first owner, the dealer should have registered your motor with Indmar and the factory warranty for 2013 was three years on the engine. That means you should still have some time left on the warranty. If you are the second owner, you would have had to do the transfer inspection ($300) and paperwork ($200) within ten days after buying the boat in order to retain the warranty coverage.

Kstalvey
08-24-2015, 04:43 PM
the boat nor engine / trans is under warranty. Checked the bottom of the v drive and saw oil on the two bottom bolts closest to the fuel tank. Looks like there are four nuts holding a bottom plate on. Checked the tightness of the four nuts and they were tight. Drain plug on front and back were also tight. My question is this.... is there a gasket on that bottom plate? If so can i just replace the gasket or do I need to pull the transmission and v-drive? And can i seperate the v-drive from the transmisison while its still in the boat?

Kstalvey
08-24-2015, 04:46 PM
I have a 13 LSV and id discovered oil in my bilge. Checked the bottom of the v drive and saw oil on the two bottom bolts closest to the fuel tank. Looks like there are four nuts holding a bottom plate on. Checked the tightness of the four nuts and they were tight. Drain plug on front and back were also tight. My question is this.... is there a gasket on that bottom plate? If so can i just replace the gasket or do I need to pull the transmission and v-drive? And can i seperate the v-drive from the transmisison while its still in the boat? It definately oil and not transmission fluid, and its not coming from the motor. Need some help!

Second owner and there is no warranty on the boat and motor.

DOCDRS
08-25-2015, 05:55 PM
how much oil is leaking, i honestly believe a lot of these drives leak a little oil. thats why they have the idiot light on them. mine leaks but i have yet to have to add any to it. had my first one replaced under warranty as it was leaking at the shaft output seal. with the dripless seals its now easier to identify the leaks even though there may be no great concern. keep checking your levels,

996scott
08-25-2015, 07:27 PM
If the bolts are all tight then i would take a towel and dry everything off completely so there is no oil anywhere. place a paper towel under the v drive and wait for a drip to appear on the paper towel and then you can track down exactly where it is coming from.

DaveM
08-26-2015, 10:11 PM
My 2013 LSV with the 330 HP Indmar also leaks oil from transmission. I have to add about 1/4 quart every 25-30 hours. I see oil in the bilge, but have never been able to locate the source. The housing does not have oil on it, and none on the shaft. Its a mystery, but not worth pulling the transmission out. My engine also uses about a 1/2 quart per 25 hours, so I just add to both at the same time.