PDA

View Full Version : Anybody piggyback IBS off center bag in GIII aerator pump system?

kaneboats
08-19-2015, 10:48 AM
I have a mini-IBS I want to install that will get some weight up front and get a manually filled bag off the walkway floor. Right now my center bag fills with a dual Rule aerator pump system connected to a homemade manifold that also fills my 400 under the port seats. I want to fill the li'l IBS bag right off the center bag. My thought is to take the vent line that comes from the "top" port on the end of the bag (and doesn't work worth a crap because the port is too low on the bag) and use it to fill the IBS bag. Then I'd run a vent line back to where the center bag vent line meets the drain line next to the thru hull (I have an existing check valve and a T I'd connect to). I'm just not sure if the aerator pumps will push water through the center bag and up into the IBS bag. Do I need to run a separate fill line to the top of the IBS bag? Has anyone successfully piggybacked an IBS bag off the center bag? If so, how did you set up your fill and drain? I have a good supply up there and the bag isn't very big so I don't feel like pulling the floor, adding a switch, etc.

jmvotto
08-19-2015, 11:10 AM
I ran a new line, vents, switch and added a fourth manifold on the old boat

moombahighrider
08-19-2015, 11:32 AM
I did mine this way. The vent line of the center 400 gets a t fitting after it comes up through the floor under the bow seats. The 2 ends of the t fitting connect to the fill ports on each leg of the ibs. The ibs has a vent port at the top center that I vent out the side of the boat. When I see water coming out, both bags are full. I empty the ibs with a line coming off each drain port on the two legs of the ibs. These are connected together with a y fitting and then tied into the drain pump for the center bag with another t fitting. Works well, although the center bag has a little trouble completely draining (but it had the same issue before the ibs was added, so no change there). The ibs drains completely.

gregski
08-19-2015, 11:40 AM
I'm just not sure if the aerator pumps will push water through the center bag and up into the IBS bag.
I can't think of any reason why not. A pumps capability is best thought of as the ability to pump water vertically (straight up). Any restrictions in the path reduce that vertical. In your case, the IBS would only be say, 3-12" higher than what you are already filling. I don't know the max head of these pumps but it's likely in the range of 7-10'.

kaneboats
08-19-2015, 11:55 AM
The vent line of the center 400 gets a t fitting after it comes up through the floor under the bow seats. The 2 ends of the t fitting connect to the fill ports on each leg of the ibs. . . . I empty the ibs with a line coming off each drain port on the two legs of the ibs. These are connected together with a y fitting and then tied into the drain pump for the center bag with another t fitting.

Hmmm. This really makes sense. My bag only has 4 fittings. The two fill ports on top are very close together. I could use one to fill and one to vent. But I could certainly use both lower leg ports to insure it drains all the way. Good stuff!

kaneboats
08-19-2015, 11:57 AM
I can't think of any reason why not. A pumps capability is best thought of as the ability to pump water vertically (straight up). Any restrictions in the path reduce that vertical. In your case, the IBS would only be say, 3-12" higher than what you are already filling. I don't know the max head of these pumps but it's likely in the range of 7-10'.

It occurred to me that it would probably work but maybe not very well. I could T the fill line and just route one side to the top of the IBS bag. It's only about 370 lbs. full so not really worth running a separate line all the way forward.

drb59
08-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Let me know what you decide and how it works. I was thinking of doing this as well. Good luck!

mmandley
08-19-2015, 01:23 PM
On my lsv I plumbed the ibs off the center bag. I ran the line into the bow through a hole I drilled under the front seat into the ski locker. Plugged that into the top port of the ibs. Then each leg I added a 700 drain pump. I tired these to the center ski drain pump. I upped the fuse to handle the load. I used the center top port as a vent on the ibs and added a check valve.

kaneboats
08-19-2015, 01:29 PM
I think I'll be drilling the same hole for a short run from the center bag to the top of the IBS bag. Adding drain pumps is a good idea too. I have about 6-7 of them in a box somewhere.

kaneboats
09-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Finally got most of this done last night. Drilled a small hole from under the front seat to the ski locker. Took the vent line from the center bag and ran it to the top port of the mini-IBS bag. Added a drain pump and decided just to drill another thru hull forward of the center bags empty one. Should drain very quickly. Trying to decide whether to tie the switch for the drain pump into the center bag switch or use the ACC switch. It lights up but I don't think it's connected to anything. Anybody know for sure? Is it there for the heater or something?

moombadaze
09-04-2015, 12:00 PM
^^^^ you have been busy---ghetto gate, ibs, plumbing and electrical. hopefully it all comes together and works great. did you move the underseat bag back over for your goofy rider

kaneboats
09-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Not yet. I want to try out the gate and see if I need the underseat anymore (probably not). We'll fill the 540 manually (not all the way) for regular and then fill it all the way and drain the 750 for E.

kaneboats
09-05-2015, 12:36 AM
Trying to decide whether to tie the switch for the drain pump into the center bag switch or use the ACC switch. It lights up but I don't think it's connected to anything. Anybody know for sure? Is it there for the heater or something?

Found some older posts on this. The ACC was empty from the factory but has power. I was able to run a line from the new mini-IBS empty pump right to the switch and then grab some ground from a power outlet nearby. So the new bag has its own switch for emptying. I put a new thru hull in so it has its own empty line too. Should be flawless tomorrow but we'll see.

moombadaze
09-07-2015, 06:12 PM
and, how did it all work out ?

kaneboats
09-13-2015, 12:42 AM
Everything worked very well. Still need the bag under the surf side seats tho, I think. Maybe not with a full crew tho.