PDA

View Full Version : Best engine bay heater to buy with the cold aproaching

sledneck__11
08-18-2015, 04:30 PM
First year with my 13 lsv v drive and we will start getting into the. Negative temps here in the next few weeks and my boat does not sit in a heated area often on the boat lift or driveway, what do you guys use to ensure that the block doesnt crack or heater core and ballast bumps and such. Have lots of great days left on water and want to get the most out of the boat before i winterize it thanks again

sivs1
08-18-2015, 04:34 PM
once I know we'll be below freezing over night for more than just an hour I drain everything after each use. it takes 20 minutes to go through everything, but we'll continue into October by doing this.

jmvotto
08-18-2015, 04:36 PM
where are you that it will freeze the first part of SEPT.

sledneck__11
08-18-2015, 05:12 PM
once I know we'll be below freezing over night for more than just an hour I drain everything after each use. it takes 20 minutes to go through everything, but we'll continue into October by doing this.

What do you all drain to be safe?

sledneck__11
08-18-2015, 05:13 PM
where are you that it will freeze the first part of SEPT.
Saskatchewan canada haha allready forecasting for +3 celcious this weekend

sivs1
08-18-2015, 05:14 PM
What do you all drain to be safe?

Everything there is to drain, just as if I was winterizing it. Engine/heater/hoses etc...

trayson
08-18-2015, 05:35 PM
First year with my 13 lsv v drive and we will start getting into the. Negative temps here in the next few weeks and my boat does not sit in a heated area often on the boat lift or driveway, what do you guys use to ensure that the block doesnt crack or heater core and ballast bumps and such. Have lots of great days left on water and want to get the most out of the boat before i winterize it thanks again

Here's what I've used. It's pretty high tech. 100 watt bulb.

http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb300/20080719/Hanging-Utility-Cage-Light-812160.jpg

trayson
08-18-2015, 05:42 PM
I've read lots of threads that show that the temps of the block rarely get freezing w/o prolonged sustained temps below freezing. The thing I'd be worried about would be the heat exchanger on the boat heater (assuming you have one).

I know a couple of us have installed hose quick connects to make disconnecting and draining the heat exchanger a lot easier. Having an air compressor really helps with blowing air out of the heater. That's the one item that's farther away from the block that I'd actually worry about.

sledneck__11
08-18-2015, 05:57 PM
I've read lots of threads that show that the temps of the block rarely get freezing w/o prolonged sustained temps below freezing. The thing I'd be worried about would be the heat exchanger on the boat heater (assuming you have one).

I know a couple of us have installed hose quick connects to make disconnecting and draining the heat exchanger a lot easier. Having an air compressor really helps with blowing air out of the heater. That's the one item that's farther away from the block that I'd actually worry about.

yea the boat has a heater and its just the outgoing small hose and the return larger one that you are talking about and blow through those two?

trayson
08-18-2015, 06:03 PM
yea the boat has a heater and its just the outgoing small hose and the return larger one that you are talking about and blow through those two?

There's two hoses that go to/from the heater unit. the unit consists of a blower fan and a heat exchanger (like a little radiator thing) and it's all in a box with hoses going to and from. So yeah, the hoses that go to and from the engine to that remote unit are what I'd be most concerned about. Beyond that, the shop light should work well. Maybe two for redundancy so that if one light bulb burns out, you've still got the backup.

Myth
08-18-2015, 06:17 PM

Disconnect both hoses and blow air through one of them. You'll get water out of the other. Be careful not to over pressurize.

saskyrider
08-18-2015, 09:40 PM
Where is sask are you located?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

sledneck__11
08-18-2015, 10:10 PM
Where is sask are you located?

North battleford but we always have the boat out on jackfish lake battlefords provincial park yourself?

saskyrider
08-18-2015, 10:32 PM
North battleford but we always have the boat out on jackfish lake battlefords provincial park yourself?

I'm from Nokomis. We have a cabin at the regional park on the north end of last mountain lake. I have a buddy on jackfish with a wakesetter.. think its a 2012. Mostly black.. his wife's family have a cabin on the water.

callynoah
08-19-2015, 02:40 AM
I have a cabin on jackfish lake too. Our boat is a purple metal flake/ black bottom mondo and yes it is starting to get cold at night up here in saskatchewan!!

sledneck__11
08-19-2015, 07:05 AM
I have a cabin on jackfish lake too. Our boat is a purple metal flake/ black bottom mondo and yes it is starting to get cold at night up here in saskatchewan!!

I have seen yours forsure, u have prob seen my lime green mobius on the lake aswell was just out camping there for two weeks