PDA

View Full Version : Depthfinder on DD

YellowMoomba0
06-16-2006, 09:43 AM
I am going to be installing a Depth Finder in the bilge area of my 04 Outback DD. At first glance the transducer looks like if will fit just behind the drain plug / in front of the bilge pump. Has anyone done this or have a better location so that you get good readings? Thanks for the help.

qb12
06-16-2006, 09:46 AM
The awesome Brian Raymond helped me with this one. I mounted it right under the transmission as per his instruction on my old outback and it worked great.

hope this helps...

db

Wolf-
06-16-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by qb12
The awesome Brian Raymond helped me with this one. I mounted it right under the transmission as per his instruction on my old outback and it worked great.

hope this helps...
db

Ditto.

The fins will cause some turbulance.
Remove the tranny cover/floor plate.
You will find some nice places to mount it under there.
Be sure to sand as flat as you can, no bubbles in the epoxy, and you should be good to go.

Catdog1
06-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Where the prop shaft passes thru the floor there may be a single wall area of hull that will accomodate the sensor.

YellowMoomba0
06-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks everyone, tested it out this weekend with tape and it works great at all speeds. Shall silicone or expoxy today.

futuredeadguy
06-19-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by YellowMoomba0

Thanks everyone, tested it out this weekend with tape and it works great at all speeds. Shall silicone or expoxy today.

YM:

Thanks for posting this question. I'm also mounting a transducer on my '05 Mobius.

The instructions on my sounder recommend epoxy and advise against silicone - states it will decrease accuracy. They even say 5 min epoxy is bad, due to failure to purge bubbles prior to curing. Not sure how much difference it will make.

Sure would be nice if silicone works - I'd rather use that myself. Anyone else use silicone with success? Also curious if it's possible to use resin with a release agent, so the transducer could be relocated or replaced if needed.

Jim

YellowMoomba0
06-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Thats exactly why I wanted to use silicone. I cannot get mine placed well enough behind the transmission to give me a reading that I can truly test. Currently I have it trapped under the steering cable. Consider the bilge plug 6:00 and the Ski pylon plate 12:00. Mine is sitting at 9:00-ish and if I pour a solo cup of water in the bilge it works perfect at all speeds. It definately did not work sitting on the pylon plate because of the skegs.

I talked with Mark at PCM on the lake this weekend and he has his attached with silicone in his 93 sport nautique in the same area we are talking about. I suppose I will re-read my instruction booklet regarding do's and dont's before I make the final application.

zabooda
06-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Silicone always worked for me and I've never had one come off.

futuredeadguy
06-20-2006, 10:29 PM
It's worth a try with silicone, I guess. It's easy enough to fix if the results are bad. Seems the trick would be to press out as much silicone as possible from under the unit.

I killed my prop 15 hours into Moomba ownership. Hit a ^%*$#$ cinder block 70 feet offshore.

The only time I'll look at this gauge is when cruising in and out of lake runs when going 5mph, but still want it to work correctly. We camp a lot, so have more need for moving close to the beach.

Next angler I see throwing a cinder block into the lake might get more than he bargained for depending on what kind of mood I'm in.

Jim

Smrtz
06-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Oh wow man that sux....wtf are people throwing cinder blocks in for?? anchoring?

YellowMoomba0
06-21-2006, 09:35 AM
Sounds quite similar to what people do to our submersible slalom course over the winter. This year we found a cut to the steel main line and three cuts to the air lines, clearly the work of someone who does not like our course in "their cove"

News flash, it aint your cove and we will be skiing that site again soon. Its unfortunate that retirees are stopping short of Florida and settling in South Carolina.

Wolf-
06-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Smrtz
Oh wow man that sux....wtf are people throwing cinder blocks in for?? anchoring?

Last winter we caught some guys out cutting timber on Federal land. They would haul the logs onto their railless pontoon and then drop the logs into the lake (West Point) to build habitats for their fishes.

YellowMoomba0
06-26-2006, 01:04 PM
Silicone worked, installed it friday morning and used the boat all weekend, Went out to cover it Sunday night and depth finder working perfectly at all speeds.