PDA

View Full Version : Sony remote heads working backward?

FFEMTP933
08-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Any help would be great. Went out last weekend both days and everything worked fine. Went out Wednesday and radio works fine but both of my remote heads are messed up. The seek forward button turns it up, seek back is now volume down, source is now mute, volume up does nothing, volume down is seek, so it's all jacked up. I unplugged the remote from back of radio hoping it would reset the heads but it didn't work. Dealer has never heard of it and was unsure on fix.
Has anyone else had this happen? Anyone know the fix or other suggestions on a fix? Thanks in advance for feedback. For now I just have to remember to use seek forward and back for volume until fixed.

MLA
08-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Sounds like you have one failed remote or bad Y cable. Start by making sure both remotes' cables are fully seated into the extension cables, the Y cable and the Y cable to head-unit. Next, disconnct the small Y cable unplugged from the back of the head-unit. Disconnect one remote cable from the Y and go direct to the head-unit and check the function of the remotes. Next, disconnect that one and plug in the other direct to the H/U. If you have a bad remote, the good one will function normally when plugged in by itself and the bad one will prevent both from working when plugged in together. If both work right when used by themselves but the issue is there when the Y cable is back in place, its likely the Y cable.

csm
08-16-2015, 02:49 PM
I had this exact thing happen, and like MLA says, it was my Y cable. I tried everything else I could think of and finally ordered a new Y cable and everything worked fine again.

jmvotto
08-16-2015, 11:00 PM
Make sure the 1/8 plug is properly seated into the connector, mine would slightly come apart enough to send a scrambled signal, which messed up the remote functions.

I finally used electrical tape to make sure it did not vibrate apart and problem solved

FFEMTP933
08-23-2015, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. it started working right the last 30 minutes on the water last week and messed up again today.