PDA

View Full Version : Seaweed on Prop shaft just Forward of prop

trayson
08-13-2015, 06:15 PM
So do any of you deal with seaweed on your prop shaft? Mine gets tangled on there immediately on the forward side of the prop (towards the bow). it comes off easy enough when I pull the boat out of the water and yank the weeds off the shaft.

I have had it happen where I've undoubtedly ran over some seaweed and get some crazy vibrations and loss of power suddenly. Typically a blast of the throttle in reverse gets rid of it...

I do worry that it could gum up/jam something and cause actual damage though.

Anyone else deal with this kind of thing?

zabooda
08-13-2015, 06:52 PM
A good power reverse has always cleaned it off. BTW, we are too far from salt water to call it seaweed so we use the more subtle name of milfoil. LOL

MJHSupra
08-13-2015, 06:54 PM
You need to get to the doctor and get that fixed.

Antibiotics will get you fixed up.

Did you try reverse - quick gun.
Then forward with another quick gun.

That also worked on my old I/O boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
08-13-2015, 06:55 PM
Well, Vancouver isn't THAT far from the ocean...

trayson
08-13-2015, 07:06 PM
You need to get to the doctor and get that fixed.

Antibiotics will get you fixed up.

Did you try reverse - quick gun.
Then forward with another quick gun.

That also worked on my old I/O boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess that's what happens when I go motoring around with my shaft exposed...

If I notice that I've vibrations or loss of power, then absolutely I'll rev it in reverse and it seems to remedy. The last time I even put on my dive goggles and checked and it was all clear.

Last night I pulled the boat out of the water and there was still some on the prop shaft though. not enough for me to notice a performance hit. I might have got it close to the dock, so maybe that's why I didn't notice as I was just idling from there until I was on the trailer.

mikenehrkorn
08-14-2015, 09:34 AM
We have a ton of vegetation right near our dock which gets us nearly every time out, but the quick reverse and forward seems to always do the trick.

mmandley
08-14-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm never on that shallow of water.

2 things Claudia hates to see in the water, grass when we are shallow and fish. If she see either she won't get in the water lol

kaneboats
08-14-2015, 11:15 AM
Shoot that's nothing compared to what you can't see in the water down here. :-?

trayson
08-14-2015, 01:34 PM

2 things Claudia hates to see in the water, grass when we are shallow and fish. If she see either she won't get in the water lol

Mike, it's pretty much impossible to launch at Vancouver's Marine Park without finding yourself in 4 to 8 feet of water. And the seaweed (milfoil) floats on the water. I've picked up some in water that was 20 to 50' deep. When it's floating in clusters (a lot of that happening on the Columbia right now) there's not much you can do to avoid it completely.

However, I'll take this stuff over the toxic Algae that's been all over the lower Willamette. (and actually Lake Billy as well. We had a couple people get a little sick from the Algae in Lake Billy on our trip.)

mmandley
08-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Mike, it's pretty much impossible to launch at Vancouver's Marine Park without finding yourself in 4 to 8 feet of water. And the seaweed (milfoil) floats on the water. I've picked up some in water that was 20 to 50' deep. When it's floating in clusters (a lot of that happening on the Columbia right now) there's not much you can do to avoid it completely.

However, I'll take this stuff over the toxic Algae that's been all over the lower Willamette. (and actually Lake Billy as well. We had a couple people get a little sick from the Algae in Lake Billy on our trip.)

Just razzing you bro, I understand the issues with being on the Willy, Columbia, and other bodies of water like that.

Its pretty shallow at Hagg by the ramp as well but its a mud bottom, not much growth even by the shores.

As for the Allege, we saw some at Dexter when we went out with Jester, was just floating every where, I felt a bit sick after my long surf set, the last fall I took a good shot of water up my nose. Curtis also fel pretty sick at the end of the day when he surfed his second set last.

We did see any allege at LBC in July, I know the Cove is more susceptible to it as its shallower and warmer. That's why the Cover people can stay in the cove LOL.

@Kaneboats, I am with you, I tell her all the time when we are deep you never know whats down there, but she says she would rather not know and not worry about it LOL

bergermaister
08-15-2015, 03:14 AM
Mike, you need to take Claudia up the Willy sometime. Remember this little guy?

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070838.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070833.jpg

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070836.jpg

He was only about 1/3 the length of the boat...

jmvotto
08-15-2015, 08:38 AM
What the hell is that , looks like something from river monsters....

beat taco
08-15-2015, 05:49 PM
So the toxic algae is back at Lake Billy? I sure hope they issue an advisory before the big weekend.

Blueliner
08-16-2015, 07:25 AM
Sturgeon? Was it dead. I would rather deal with weeds than hit that.

Blueliner

trayson
08-16-2015, 01:00 PM
So the toxic algae is back at Lake Billy? I sure hope they issue an advisory before the big weekend.

I can't say for certain if this was the blue/green "toxic" algae. It didn't look like the same stuff that's in the willamette. But there was algae that last week of July that was a subtle green flim. You could see it if you looked for it. It wasn't *that* thick IMO. I have to think that regardless of whether it was the blue/green toxic stuff or not, ingesting any algae probably won't make a person feel spectacular.

bergermaister
08-16-2015, 01:10 PM
Sturgeon? Was it dead. I would rather deal with weeds than hit that.

Blueliner

Very dead. From a distance it looked like the front leg of an alligator sticking up. As we got closer I saw it was the pectoral fin. Pretty harmless but the idea that this monster could be, or better WAS swimming around out there with you at one point definitely gives the heebee gibes.

Needless to say I was the only one who got in the water that day.

beat taco
08-16-2015, 02:52 PM
I can't say for certain if this was the blue/green "toxic" algae. It didn't look like the same stuff that's in the willamette. But there was algae that last week of July that was a subtle green flim. You could see it if you looked for it. It wasn't *that* thick IMO. I have to think that regardless of whether it was the blue/green toxic stuff or not, ingesting any algae probably won't make a person feel spectacular.
I know it wasn't. I was there at the same time. The toxic sample came from one bad sample out of 100 in a stagnant shallow cove at perry south when there were abundant blooms at the end of June. A toxic bloom will be thick like paint and pea green in color or foamy and slimey. I burned 90 gallons of gas in 5 days going everywhere on the lake and saw nothing that resembled such a bloom. Definitely green as usual for that time of year. The lake has also continued to get tested with no positive samples.
However it is a resivior and considered a dead body of water and filthy by some.

rdlangston13
08-16-2015, 10:41 PM

That's what's great about where we ride, once your hand goes in about 6" you can't even see it anymore!

Sent from my iPhone