PDA

View Full Version : Sick of Knots on my Forehead

WhiskeyRunner
08-12-2015, 01:24 PM
A weekend does not go by where me or someone on my boat bangs their head on the tower speakers. The curvature of the tower, in addition to the small-ish cabin of the '14 Mondo tends to leave speakers in a really vulnerable place. I noticed on the 2015's the brackets they've installed to fix this problem. For the rest of us, I'm scratching my head (when there's not a giant bruise) to figure out how to solve this problem. Any ideas?

I thought about a wetsound sound bar... but the forum suggested these won't carry the sound. I'm not looking to advertise my poor music choices to the entire lake, but overcoming engine noise and having a good time is the goal here.

sivs1
08-12-2015, 01:55 PM
same problem here, I have 4 cans mounted underneath the tower as my Bimini goes over the top. I am thinking about removing two of the cans and just using two. I will need to upgrade those speakers but will give me more head room.

kaneboats
08-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Some people are just slow learners. :o

WhiskeyRunner
08-12-2015, 03:27 PM
Some people are just slow learners. :o

No doubt! But even if I finally learn my lesson, my problem is not solved. My wife hit her heard for the 3rd time this summer and started the nagging questions on whether the speakers were necessary. Instead of creating an argument, the Confucius in me decided to make it an opportunity to buy new/upgraded system and turn it into a positive. But if I show up a couple grand lighter and even bigger speakers; I might as well make the bow a cabin cruiser and move in to my new home.

smorris7
08-12-2015, 04:48 PM

How about a setup like this. This was how mine was originally before I added the Exile XM9's to the tower. Out of the way and looks good IMO.

Mrd8ker
08-13-2015, 01:35 AM
Whiskeyrunner...I feel your pain, literally. Sound is a necessity but my crew has started looking for alternate locations for the middle speakers as well. Need to do something in the off season. #firstworldproblems

Woody929
08-13-2015, 09:53 AM
I'll fix this by having an S-Bend tower on the next boat :-)

My wife gave herself a concussion last year as she came down off the back of the boat. Nothing like that to develop muscle memory of where & when to duck

WhiskeyRunner
08-14-2015, 01:57 AM
Glad I'm not the only one! I'll have to check out my boat tomorrow for Smorris7's idea, that might be the only option short term. Seems crazy no one has designed something low profile to address this issue.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions

mikenehrkorn
08-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Maybe my OBV with the Oz tower is configured differently, but I'm 6'2" and the tower itself hits me right in the forehead. I do occasionally bump my head on the XM7s I have, but I pretty much walk around the boat in a permanent squat anyway so I don't just hit my head on the tower. One day, after a long day on the boat, I had a bit of a back ache and couldn't figure out what it was and then I remembered...all that bending over when walking around the boat!! :p

I'm with Matt...really looking forward to that next boat with the S bend tower to really provide some headroom. Too bad its like 6-7 years away. :(

nitrodude24
08-15-2015, 12:53 AM

on our 14' LSV I wasn't careful as t where I put our speakers has them on the aft rail but when we traded for our 15' Mojo I carefully planned and fit the speakers less head bumps and more head room. There in front of each other almost.