PDA

View Full Version : ms4217

mschude
06-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Help, I hulled my New LSV with the canvas top on that comes with the boat. The straps that wrap around the trailer have rubbed against the boats hull and worn an impression into the boats paint. I have 2 sections on the boat that have a vertical line running up the boat. This has happend from the wind making the straps vibrate against the boat. Does anyone have any suggestions how to get this off without hurting the boat?

I have learned not to tow the boat with the cover on anymore.... Any help would be great!!

qb12
06-14-2006, 03:01 PM
No, you are correct that you should not tow with the cover. It will scratch your gel coat, (not paint)..

You might try a light polishing compound and then wax. I have removed a few scratches this way.

I am only familiar of one strapless cover and that is produced by rankin.

db

Smrtz
06-14-2006, 03:30 PM
yes I had the same experience,
a really light polish (has rubbing compound... mcguires??) will take that haze away... I was told the same thing about travelling with the cover... I had a friend who was on the highway and took a rock off the car in front s tire.. busted his windshield. Im not taking any chances.

I went to local hardware store, bought a pack of sponges,put a cut in them and put them between the strap and the boat. Works awesome. Its the friction from the straps that casues the marks take away that and you are golden!!

04moblsv
06-14-2006, 11:39 PM
I also did the same thing towed with the cover on, My dealer had the boat for service and the guys at the dealer used a rubbing compound and a high speed buffer to remove the scratches that were left by the straps. Basically they burned them out the gel coat. You can't even tell they were ever there.

mschude
06-15-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the help guys...

Hey Smrtz... What type of sponges did you use? Is it one sponge that covers the whole strap? or is it just a dish washing sponge? I might give that a try.

Thanks.

Smrtz
06-15-2006, 10:57 AM
The sponges were nothing special, just the softest one sthat I could find. I have noticed after taking a close look last night that the friction takes its toll on the sponges too but at least they are cheap!! Im thinking about using the spong wrapped in a microfibre cloth (the kind you use for wiping your car/boat dry.)

regardless if you have to reinvest in a bag of sponges once a season its totally worth it.
You know what it feels like when you are driving and a rock comes and hits your car.. Imagine taking one of those off the gel coat or windshield.. driving with no protection just seems nuts to me...

maleyb
06-15-2006, 04:35 PM
My dealer told me about this when I picked my boat up. He gave me 6 "bungie cords". The strap in the front is tight enough it shouldn't scratch. On the other 6, I hook the bungie cord around the trailer and then through the loop by the plastic snap. The bungie cord goes behind the snap, forcing it out so the snap doesn't scratch the boat either. Then I roll up the nylon and shove it under the cover. The bungie cords he gave me are all rubber, so nothing gets scratched. I'll try to remember to get a picture. It works great for me and I trailer my boat everywhere with the cover on.

Smrtz
06-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I'd like to see that if you can get those pics that would be awesome!!

qb12
06-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I haven't tried this but I heard about it on the supra site. One guy uses foam pipe insulation and puts this around the straps.

hmmmm...

smartz, i do want a photo of the sponges

db

ps, one guy over there said he puts duck tape along where it might hit. that might be a little redneck.

:p

qb12
06-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Ed, Dang I though something happened to you. Any damage from the hurricane.

db