PDA

View Full Version : Brown Water Stained Hull

JHutch
08-03-2015, 01:26 PM
So I just got back from a week at the lake and the bottom of my boat has a brownish scum on the bottom. I washed it and it wont come off? What do you guys use to remove this? Also how to you get under where the bunks are?

BensonWdby
08-03-2015, 01:46 PM
I picked up some Starbrite Hull Cleaner at Walmart a few yars ago. Basically diluted Muratic acid I think. Not sure they still carry it but it worked great - litterally no hard rubbing. but you do need to wax after you use it.
http://www.starbrite.com/category/hull-bottom-cleaners

viking
08-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Heard of this product on here a few years ago. Never had to use it but still remember it due to the quirky name: "slimy grimy"
http://slimygrimy.com/before-and-after/

parrothd
08-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Yep...

Or take it to the marina and have them acid wash(same stuff) it.

They'll use a crane to lift the boat off the trailer so you get everything clean, my marina charges around $220.

mjr119
08-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Try using (at your discretion) a 50-50 blend of cheap toilet bowl cleaner and hydrogen peroxide.

I like using the cheap stuff from Dollar General. It comes in a white bottle and it's more of a gel substance.

I mix it in a spray bottle and only use it on the scum line. You will need to wax after but it really cuts thru the stains!

Your spray bottle will only last a time or two and it will be toast.

parrothd
08-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Watch out for the fumes, they can be brutal... lol..

bhowell
08-16-2015, 04:29 PM
FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) from Academy. Inexpensive and works well. Apply and rub off shortly after and it cuts through the stain and will go back to polished clean hull.

dav51lin
08-31-2015, 03:25 PM
i have been using the name is The Works toilet bowl cleaner i buy at grocery store for years wipe on wipes off on second wipe after minute or so scum disappears i can do whole underside in less than half hour no scrubbing just do about 2-3 ft section at a time its under 3 dollars a bottle safe for fiberglass

Ironcross25
08-31-2015, 10:03 PM
Heard of this product on here a few years ago. Never had to use it but still remember it due to the quirky name: "slimy grimy"
http://slimygrimy.com/before-and-after/
This stuff is amazing. Literally spray on And it disappears. I used it on my old boat earlier this year when water stained it and it took it right off. Even took off old stains on underneath

rca
09-01-2015, 01:09 PM
This stuff is amazing. Literally spray on And it disappears. I used it on my old boat earlier this year when water stained it and it took it right off. Even took off old stains on underneath

I used to use it on mine when we boated in a brackish river. It works great and isn't as harsh on the nostrils as some of the other options. Spray on, wash off.

MJHSupra
09-01-2015, 08:34 PM

+2 or 3 on this. Works great.

After it's clean, I've used wax or this other product called Hullkote.
My buddy who is a sailboat racer told me about it.

M-