PDA

View Full Version : ballast

drewdwn
06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I have an 05 outback and I'm looking for a bigger wake. I currently have 540 lbs but would like to double that. Does anyone know how much it can handle?

05mobiusxlv
06-13-2006, 11:13 PM
If you want to comply with the law, take a look at your maximum capacity sticker by the throttle lever. It tells you the maximum weight load, including ballast. Some states are strict on this.

pickle311
06-14-2006, 01:09 AM
that all depends on how rough the water is. I usually run 1000 to 1200lbs with 6 to 8 people in the boat. The boat easily handles the extra weight. You can feel the extra drag on the motor. The biggest concern is taking water over the sides from other boats though. Because of the low freeboard it's already easy to have a wake come over the bow, but with an additional 1000lbs, it's going to happen several times with any traffic on the lake. The boat handles it fine, just be ready to run your bilge pump and get wet. Make sure all electronics in the boat are up where they can't get wet.

It's really not that bad if you don't run a lot of weight in the bow, but last weekend I got hit hard. I had about 300lbs of ballast and 3 people in the front of the boat. That's 600 to 700lbs in the bow and the wake from a wakesurfer nailed us while we were stopped. I had about 6 or 7 inches of water in the build in ice chest. Nothing the bige pump can't handle, but it was a lot of water.

MEDIC151
06-14-2006, 09:31 AM
I have been told that the bags on my 06 XLV are 1500 front and 600 each in the back. Whether that is the right amount or not, I don't know. Anyways, the boat handles fine, but it higher out of the water than the outback. My 02 outback did fine as well, but I speared waves on a regular basis which gave eveyone in the front a nice bath from time to time. Just watch your slowing down too fast as the wave can come over the back and swamp you. Never ballast with anything other than people and water since your boat will stay afloat with water as it will equalize if that should happen. I have seen people using concrete and such and if they ever swamp, its a race to the bottom.

Medic