PDA

View Full Version : Exile SXT9Q's cutting out?

blackcup
07-29-2015, 06:19 PM
Any idea what would be causing this? Happens when I jack up the volume ... not overly loud though. I have run them much louder in the past for a lot longer without any cutting. It sounds almost like a CD skipping (its not its playing from a USB key) ... shortly after that I will lose all high end from the tweeters. This is from the towers only. Sub and cabins are fine and they are on different amps.

Is that a sign that the amp is overheating?

mmandley
07-29-2015, 06:28 PM
Generally that is a sign of amp overheat. Touch your amp when its acting up, also it could be the gains are too high for the amp and your over pushing the amp.

A quick test is take a towel <i use yellow micro fiber> wet it with cooler water, ring it out and lay it on the amp, if you can play music longer then its over heating the amps.

On 4th July weekend at LBC we had 105 Temps and I was cranking my tower hard, over heated 1 of the amps, did the towel deal and in 5 minutes it came back on. Rest of the day and weekend I just repeated the cool wet towel on the amp and never an issue.

ian ashton
07-29-2015, 09:04 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxoyf2pnb68ruvo/photo%20jul%2004%2C%2012%2022%2013%20pm.jpg?dl=1

The XM30.2's stay nice and cool (just one pair per amp, at 4ohm) but the Xi800.4 (class AB) heats up pretty good when pushed hard - 2 channels at 4 ohm, 2 at 2 ohm, running 6 SX65Ms.

blackcup
07-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Generally that is a sign of amp overheat. Touch your amp when its acting up, also it could be the gains are too high for the amp and your over pushing the amp.

A quick test is take a towel <i use yellow micro fiber> wet it with cooler water, ring it out and lay it on the amp, if you can play music longer then its over heating the amps.

On 4th July weekend at LBC we had 105 Temps and I was cranking my tower hard, over heated 1 of the amps, did the towel deal and in 5 minutes it came back on. Rest of the day and weekend I just repeated the cool wet towel on the amp and never an issue.

Yeah we hit 102 that day and I was cranking it for a while ... not super hard but hard enough. I always thought if the amp was overheating that you would lose ALL sound ... not just the highs?

This all goes back to my original issue with the 4 x SXT9Q's and not really being able to hear them that well when surfing. I started to turn em up and then this happens.

I'll give the towel trick a try. Thanks. :D

brain_rinse
07-29-2015, 11:22 PM
Something is not set up or functioning correctly. You should easily hear 2 SXT9s while surfing and 4 should rock. The heat might be putting a spotlight on the issue but you've got something else going on that requires more than a wet towel.

mmandley
07-29-2015, 11:47 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxoyf2pnb68ruvo/photo%20jul%2004%2C%2012%2022%2013%20pm.jpg?dl=1

The XM30.2's stay nice and cool (just one pair per amp, at 4ohm) but the Xi800.4 (class AB) heats up pretty good when pushed hard - 2 channels at 4 ohm, 2 at 2 ohm, running 6 SX65Ms.

Yea I have 1 800.4 on 2 channel to 2 XM9s and then the Harpoon on 4 XM9s, I can over heat the 800 pretty easy, the Harpoon takes a bit longer, but I push it pretty hard.

I have 2 30.2, 1 15.4 and 2K.1 to replace all my older amps I have been running, plan is upgrade it all in 2 weeks when I'm off for a week from work.

blackcup
07-30-2015, 12:07 AM
Something is not set up or functioning correctly. You should easily hear 2 SXT9s while surfing and 4 should rock. The heat might be putting a spotlight on the issue but you've got something else going on that requires more than a wet towel.

If that is in fact the issue ... any tips on where to start? The shop that did the install is a one hour drive from here so I would rather not do that if it is something I can tackle.

mmandley
07-30-2015, 01:19 AM
Well looks like your running the new 30.2 amp on your speakers already, so technically you should not be having heat issues.

It could be a cross over set up, not positive, I would look at the amp settings, copy down the frequency set points. Also whats your battery setup? Is the amp on a dedicated stereo bank or sharing the house battery?

When your tower starts to act up does it return to normal when you lower the volume, or does it take a little while?
When your tower starts to act up is it only the Tweets that you lose? Or does the entire speaker shut off?

Trying to get a picture of what is happening.

On mine I know its heat, the amp goes into protect mode with a red light, and I lose all power to the speakers effected on that amp.

jmvotto
07-30-2015, 07:14 AM
The 800.4 can overheat, Brian at exile mentioned that my gains might be slightly too high . Usually happens on hot nights will the boat going slow , not a lot of air movement .

What amps are powering your surf 9's

Brianinpdx
07-30-2015, 08:14 AM
If your 800.4 is overheating, def turn down the gains. If your 30.2 are cutting out, then we probably have a short somewhere to look for.

I'll send you my tel#in pm. Give me a ring and we can walk thru a couple things to trouble shoot.

Nice looking install. Clean!

-Brian

jmvotto
07-30-2015, 08:20 AM
Great customer service right there!!!

blackcup
07-30-2015, 02:49 PM
If your 800.4 is overheating, def turn down the gains. If your 30.2 are cutting out, then we probably have a short somewhere to look for.

I'll send you my tel#in pm. Give me a ring and we can walk thru a couple things to trouble shoot.

Nice looking install. Clean!

-Brian

Beauty!! I will note down all the settings and be in touch :o

blackcup
08-01-2015, 03:45 PM
http://oi58.tinypic.com/1zef2q1.jpg

http://oi59.tinypic.com/90q52a.jpg

blackcup
08-01-2015, 03:49 PM
There is a shot of the amp settings now.

Had it out yesterday and it started cutting highs within 5 mins of turning it up. I don't lose all power to the towers just the high end starts cutting and then eventually I lose all high end (after a few mins). If I lower the volume when the cutting first starts then it stops but starts right back up when I turn it up again. If I leave it when it is cutting the highs will eventually go and it takes a while after powering it down for them to come back (almost an hour last time). Amp doesn't feel overly hot. Def not as hot as the Stock Kicker that is powering the cabins. I am not sure about the battery thing I can take a closer look if need be?

The head unit is at 31 volume too if that helps

blackcup
08-01-2015, 03:55 PM
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=c3nfm&s=8

blackcup
08-01-2015, 03:56 PM
Pic of the controller settings

jmvotto
08-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Did you adjust the gains on the equal at all?

blackcup
08-01-2015, 11:32 PM
you mean on the controller? or the EQ built into the head unit?

jmvotto
08-02-2015, 07:51 AM
The controller, all setting on the head unit should be flat or zero.

blackcup
08-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Ok I changed everything on the head unit to flat or zero. I will play with the gains on the controller to see if that might fix it

blackcup
08-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Hmmmm that just made it sound worse. I have to crank the volume on the controller to get it even close to the level it was at before ... And at that level you could barely hear it while surfing. Now the towers are distorting.

ian ashton
08-02-2015, 03:58 PM
What head unit do you have?

Brianinpdx
08-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Blackcup -

Looking over your thread.....looks like your trying to compensate for a setup that is improperly gained by pushing EQ boost into it.

Set your EQ' bass mid, treble ettc to flat. (12 o'clock position).
set your input gains on the ZLD up to 80% (the adjustments on the top of the ZLD L & R)
make sure the deck doesn't have boost stuff set
set your amp gain and about the 8 o'clock position (look like its at 1-2oclock in the pic)

From what I see by these pics is you have the amp way over gained, and the EQ boosted and this is an instant recipe for distorting speakers. We want as much gain as we can upstream and less downstream from a signal perspective. If your using the exile bluetooth module on the Aux input of the ZLD you'll need seperate gain levels on the ZLD as well.

Do all this and call the office and I or a Tech can walk you thru the fine running. You'l be far better off than where your at right now.

Cheers

-Brian / Exile

blackcup
08-04-2015, 01:34 AM
Amazing info Brian! I wish I had seen this post earlier as I just dropped the boat back at storage for the week. I will do everything you said and report back at the end of the week!! :D

Cheers!

BamaMojo
08-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Amazing info Brian! I wish I had seen this post earlier as I just dropped the boat back at storage for the week. I will do everything you said and report back at the end of the week!! :D

Cheers!
Speakers still giving you problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackcup
04-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Bringing this thread back from the dead as now I have some free time to troubleshoot. So I DEFINITELY have some wiring gremlins. I was adjusting the gain on my XM30.2 and when I brought the gain down as far as it could go the cabin speakers on the right would go down in volume. This is BIZARRE because my 30.2 should only be running the 4 tower speakers. When I adjust the gain back up I get sound from both the right and left cabins. I have a feeling this is what has been causing my problems right from the start. Any ideas? Is that a different way of wiring that I don't know about?

jmvotto
04-18-2016, 07:05 PM
Post up how it is wired

blackcup
04-18-2016, 07:08 PM
I didn't wire it the local exile dealer did. So I'm not really too sure. Or do u mean pictures?

blackcup
04-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Talked to Brian and Bill @ Exile and they are shipping me a new 30.2 amp. Hopefully this will solve all the issues with the towers.

Thanks everyone for the help ...