PDA

View Full Version : Extend my summer driving south with my Moomba - suggestions?

Rugburn
07-28-2015, 07:39 PM
For some time now Ive been wanting to hook up the LSV and drive south in September to extend my summer for just one more long weekend. Im in Madison Wisconsin and once Labor Day hits, the days start to get colder quickly. Id like to find a lake within 8 hours drive of Madison that I can rent a cabin, or get a decent hotel near said lake. That is where all of you come in. Perhaps you already live on or near a really good lake that has restaurants, bars, sandbars etc. Things that make for a good weekend away. As with all of us, being on a new lake makes me nervous. I dont want one of those lakes where "you are fine if you know where to go" in regards to rocks and stumps, etc.

Please comment with suggestions of lakes that you think make a worthy trip south.

parrothd
07-28-2015, 08:49 PM
For some time now Ive been wanting to hook up the LSV and drive south in September to extend my summer for just one more long weekend. Im in Madison Wisconsin and once Labor Day hits, the days start to get colder quickly. Id like to find a lake within 8 hours drive of Madison that I can rent a cabin, or get a decent hotel near said lake. That is where all of you come in. Perhaps you already live on or near a really good lake that has restaurants, bars, sandbars etc. Things that make for a good weekend away. As with all of us, being on a new lake makes me nervous. I dont want one of those lakes where "you are fine if you know where to go" in regards to rocks and stumps, etc.

Please comment with suggestions of lakes that you think make a worthy trip south.
We used to hit lake Shelbyville, IL about 3.5 hours south of Chicago.. It's huge with little boat traffic, you can rent a house boat, not much on the lake to stay but the Shelbyville inn is nice. Or you can camp at the lake..

I'm on a river heated by power plants so we don't go there anymore. ;)

patrick232
07-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Our condo on Norris Lake to will extend your season, but about a 10 hour drive. PM if you want more information.

Rugburn
07-29-2015, 10:08 AM
I think they should add a "Real Estate" section to this forum adding VRBO style posts. Condos or cabins forum members own or suggestions of resorts, that sort of thing. That qualifies the lake too as being skier/wakeboard/surf friendly.

Mobius22
07-29-2015, 10:32 AM
Good idea ^^

Jason05216
07-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri is about 8 hours. It really calms down after school starts back and Labor Day. Plenty of places to stay from high end to bare bones. Lots of bars, restaurants, marinas, etc on the water. The whole lake is navigable other than the obvious places like the back end of coves. Weather is usually pretty decent until October.

Rugburn
07-30-2015, 10:08 AM
Id like to see the previous Real Estate section comment made previously get some traction. How do we get something like that going?

Ironcross25
07-30-2015, 09:08 PM
norris lake-awesome, dale hollow- awesome, lake cumberland, never been, always pass on way to dale hollow-looks awesome. Lake norman- awesome. thats a drive from wi for sure. headed there tomorrow for a week. love it.