PDA

View Full Version : Proper rope length?

Gabbyg88
07-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Just started wakesurfing and still getting everything dialed in. One question I had was about the rope length. Should I shorten the rope if I am having to pull myself into the wake sweet spot or is it normal to be out of the wake on the start?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gregski
07-24-2015, 04:32 PM
Personally, I'd leave the rope a little long. When you start to "get it" you'll get slack in the rope, then when you start to wash out, you can catch yourself with the rope and then do it again. If you have the rope "just right" for the sweet spot, I think it would become too much of a crutch in your learning. Besides, as you get better, the "sweet spot" gets bigger. You'll be able to move forward and back, up and down, using much more of the wave than what seems possible when you are first starting out.

And just a matter of preference, I like to start long/back and pull myself in before tossing the rope in.

parrothd
07-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Leave it long, I like to play around, cutting way out like on a wakeboard, or jumping over to the other side of the wave. Just hold the end of the rope and use it only to save yourself as a last resort.. You can always hold the rope in the middle..

Gabbyg88
07-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Great advice! My wife wanted to shorten the rope and didn't know how to respond to her. I was able to ride without the rope for a little my first time out.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/24/cfb5a147b5c5b8aed3a75a27e54144a5.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk