PDA

View Full Version : Idiots on the water

uniwarking
07-24-2015, 08:16 AM
So, this past weekend we were enjoying some wakesurfing on the Mississippi river. It was a nice calm area... fairly wide and about 20' deep. I had finished riding and my step brother started his set (it was only his second time surfing). He was able to free ride a short distance a few times. On his last pull a boat attempted to overtake us at a very short distance... crossing the wake on our surf side... and the boat turned straight toward us. The driver failed to let of the throttle and they nearly hit my brother... luckily he'd not attempted a free ride yet! Then the dang boat speeds back up and drive right behind us!

I had the Gopro mounted to the rear grab rail. Sadly, there was some water on the lens by this time and the angle wasn't the best but I did manage to capture some of the event... unreal. This was also my first attempt with Gopro studio... did a bit of slow motion and zooming. The first slow motion sequence is the boat appearing behind the rider, the second is the fall and the third is a shot of the boat as it passes (along with registration numbers).

The idiots on the water never cease to amaze me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMvs1YuNUzo&feature=youtu.be

jmvotto
07-24-2015, 09:01 AM
idiots, I would call in the regs to the appropriate authorities.

the gopro video creates images that seem further away than they actually are.

they seemed really close on the first slow mo when their heads appeared....

Mobius22
07-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Wow... Definitely report them. People like that infuriate me

Zim
07-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Pro tip: Put some rain-X on your gopro lens.

parrothd
07-24-2015, 10:00 AM
I let those guys know really quick, usually a full throttle power turn right at them.. If that doesn't scare them off when they hit the rollers it does.. ;)

kaneboats
07-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Use the patented Wolfey method of teaching them to keep their distance. Pull up close to them like you need to tell them something and then blast their ears with a hand held air horn.

zabooda
07-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Use the patented Wolfey method of teaching them to keep their distance. Pull up close to them like you need to tell them something and then blast their ears with a hand held air horn.

Seriously, I like that method. I would add some verbiage like when you are passing on the port side you use the horn twice and then blast them. Then the air horn is used as a training aid.

liquid_acid
07-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Are you kidding me! What the hell is wrong with people?! It's dumb people like this that ruin things for everyone else.
This is where HLCD tower speakers combined with a ws420 with the talk back feature come in handy. A quick GTFO you tool might do the job.

viking
07-24-2015, 12:01 PM
I have no patience for people like that. I'd definitely report them. They could have killed him had he fallen that first slo mo they were on top of him.

uniwarking
07-24-2015, 12:03 PM
The camera didn't pick up all of the explicit verbiage and gesturing from our boat... I think they were a bit scared off when there were no smiles coming from our boat.

Thanks for the rain-x tip. I'd heard this but didn't pick any up prior to this outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beat taco
07-24-2015, 03:34 PM
I don't need the PA system. Just my HCLD's and the asshole song. Works perfectly.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x219gr0_jimmy-buffett-the-asshole-song_fun

KG's Supra24
07-24-2015, 03:38 PM
Have used the mic for similar situations.

I couldn't believe how close the heads looked in that first slow-mo! Surfing is likely to cause a boat wreck, so many necks break when they see someone doing it ... guess it's still new to most.

Solid tip on the rain-x.