PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump help needed ASAP

AGIII
07-23-2015, 12:15 PM
My in tank fuel pump has a leak. Not sure exactly where the leak is, but it is leaking between the tank and the fuel pump. The fuel line running from the tank to the engine is not leaking. I don't have a local dealer, so I called what seems to be everyone's go to remote dealer (Atlanta Marine) and the cost to replace the pump is $686 and it will take 2-4 weeks for the part to arrive (basically killing the rest of the summer season!!!). Are there alternative ways to get the same part, but not through a Moomba dealer? I can't believe that this fuel pump was created solely for Moomba. The only information I have on the pump is a part number (111200), but no manufacturer, etc. Any thoughts on how I can salvage my season?!?! Thanks.

-Andy

AGIII
07-23-2015, 09:14 PM
So...I found the exact place where the gas is leaking from. It is leaking from underneath the silver cylinder that the fuel line is connected to (see attached pic...I think that is the top part of the fuel pump?). The silver cylinder is very wobbly so I am thinking that it either needs to be tightened, or if it is supposed to be wobbly, then maybe there is a blown seal inside of it that needs to be replaced? Any thoughts? Anyone? Bueller? Ha!

AGIII
07-23-2015, 09:15 PM
BTW, sorry for the upside down pic. Never remember to keep the buttons the right way on the iPhone.

mjr119
07-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Tighten it for sure. I think it would need to be tight to have a good seal.

AGIII
07-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Tighten it for sure. I think it would need to be tight to have a good seal.

Not sure how to tighten it...ran out of light tonight, but my buddy has a very good mechanic friend who is going to swing by tomorrow and I am hoping that he can figure out what the problem is. Keeping my fingers crossed!

mmandley
07-23-2015, 11:31 PM
Never dealt with that type of problem, I would remove the unit from the tank with the bolts you can see, disconnect all the wires and hoses, once out of the tank you might be able to see a way to tighten it.

Snap some pics as you repair it, might be good for someone else down the line.

JASONZ
07-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Chief is stopping by your house around 13:30 and he is going to have it water ready so you can booze cruise tonight! ;)

AGIII
07-24-2015, 05:36 PM
Chief is stopping by your house around 13:30 and he is going to have it water ready so you can booze cruise tonight! ;)

Chief didn't get me on the water, but I should be by Monday night. We finally located the source of the gas leak today. I thought it was leaking from in between the tank and the upper unit of the fuel pump, but there is actually a pin hole crack in the arm that connects the fuel line to the fuel pump. The crack is right where the arm and the fuel pump connects (JASONZ has a picture of the gas shooting out of the pin hole). I just dropped the fuel pump off at a radiator shop to have them re-solder the arm. I should have the pump back on Monday and can test it to make sure that the problem is fixed. Really surprised that this was the problem. Can’t imagine how that crack got there to begin with since that compartment has never been opened before. Perhaps the first soldering job was not as good as it should have been. I really hope this does the trick because I don't want to shell out $700 for a new fuel pump and wait 2-4 weeks for the part to come in!

ninedriver
07-26-2015, 12:21 AM
Well done. I bet that'll fix you up. Keep us posted b

JASONZ
07-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Here's a picture of the pump with the fuel leaking out from the weld spot where the line meets the fuel housing.
You have to look closely to see the fuel spraying but it is visible.22619

AGIII
07-27-2015, 06:54 PM
The saga continues. The radiator shop was not able to re-solder the fuel pump. They re-soldered the arm back to the fuel pump but when they tested it they found other pin hole cracks in the fuel pump itself and when the tried to fix those more pin holes started developing (not sure how or why that happened, but that's the story they told me). So...I had to bite the bullet and buy the $700 replacement part from my dealer. I spoke to a person at Moomba and they said that it should take more like 7-8 days to get the part as opposed to the 2-4 weeks that I was originally told. Either way, very annoyed that this part went on a boat that has been used for not even 2 1/2 summers and even more annoyed that this part costs $700. But the most annoying part is that I will be without my boat for at least a week or two, but maybe more than that. I know things happen, but wasn't expecting this sort of stuff to start springing up until the 5 year mark or so.

mjr119
07-28-2015, 08:59 AM
Why is the fuel pump so expensive?

AGIII
07-28-2015, 09:32 AM
Why is the fuel pump so expensive?

Not sure why it is so expensive. I found automotive ones in the $100-$200 range and a very similar one for a Mastercraft boat in the $250 range. The cost is bad, but for me, the worst part is the wait. I had to cancel plans with friends this past weekend, have already cancelled plans with friends this coming weekend, and will likely have to cancel our plans with friends the weekend after next. Plus, I have a 6 year old who has recently become obsessed with wakeboarding and he is more than a little heart broken that he is not going to be able to board for a while. Our summer revolves around going out on the boat every weekend and now we may be losing half of our summer.

mjr119
07-28-2015, 10:13 AM
I feel your pain. I live on a lake so my life revolves around water toys! I wont even take a trip to the beach during the summer because I try to make use of every weekend on the boat! Summer is here and gone in a flash.

But I would call SKIDIM and see if they have a pump for you. Not sure which one is the correct pump but they are in the 150-350 range. Nothing astronomical like the pump you purchased from the dealer. I would order from SKIDIM and get it overnighted to me, install it and be on the water this weekend!

AGIII
07-28-2015, 11:08 AM
But I would call SKIDIM and see if they have a pump for you. Not sure which one is the correct pump but they are in the 150-350 range. Nothing astronomical like the pump you purchased from the dealer. I would order from SKIDIM and get it overnighted to me, install it and be on the water this weekend!

I have already ordered and paid for the part through my dealer. Even so, I don't think SKIDIM has the part that I need (at least from what I saw on their website). It appears that there are several sites that have replacement fuel pumps for the pump that attaches to the Indmar engine, but the fuel pump that I am having an issue with is the one that goes in the fuel tank. I searched for several hours trying to find a replacement online and it was nowhere to be found.

mjr119
07-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Got ya. Well there is no way I would pay that much for a fuel pump. Ive bought freshly built short blocks for that much!

AGIII
07-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Spoke to Anthony from Skier's Choice and he is showing an estimated delivery date of the part to them on July 31st. Keeping my fingers crossed that their estimate is accurate!!! If so, I will have the part in my hands early next week and be back out on the water! Now all I'll left to complain about is the outrageous price for this stupid thing (and the fact that this problem even occurred on a fairly new boat)...

AGIII
08-03-2015, 11:59 AM
Just got word from Anthony that the part has been shipped and that it will be delivered by EOD tomorrow. Big sigh of relief. Can wait to get the new pump installed and be back out on the water! A big thanks to Anthony and everyone from Skier's Choice in keeping me updated and getting the part right out the door to me! Also, a big thanks to Jesse from JC Sports in South Carolina for lining this all up for me. They were great during the purchasing process and with helping me troubleshoot this issue and another issue...just wish I lived a lot closer to them so servicing my Moomba wouldn't be such a chore.

parrothd
08-03-2015, 05:27 PM
Those guys are great, sucks I have to email them get the info, then call a "dealer" to order..