PDA

View Full Version : Help protecting chrome speakers

Roachman
06-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I need some help protecting my chrome speakers. I have the factory tower speakers (set of 4) and they are already showing some corrosion. I do use my boat in brackish water but have only used it 4 times and I am alrady seeing the effects. I wipe them down each time, but should I be spraying some WD-40 or something else on them. Or will speakersoxs help this problem.

Are the speakers not anodized? Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

qb12
06-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Roachman, I have the same speakers and I use the speakersoxs. I don't know if they will help against corrosion, but do protect against bugs and road grime.

As of yet I don't have any corrosion.

Db

JoeTechie
06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Are you talking about the cans or the speakers themselves ? Speakers are made from the cheapest metal possible. Only on the top of the line designs is the metal changed to higher grade for stability/rigidity. Chrome is a terrbile thing in general IMHO - it masks bad stuff under the surface. You can wipe down the metal w/ WD-40 or CRC - but do NOT spray it on directly, and it will effect the rubbers/plastics of the speaker drivers so be very careful.

-J

Roachman
06-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Do you use your boat in fresh water or salt?

canuckskier
06-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Not sure if they are "real" chrome, but the best way to clean and polish any kind of "real" chrome is with steel wool. It works wonders. I admit I was skeptical when I heard this, but it's cheap and really works. Steel wool also gets that grime that builds up on the top of your truck windows where it sits in the seal. Just be careful not to use it on mirrors or plastic made to look like it's chrome.

Cheers

lowdrag
06-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Once you get them cleaned up try keeping putting a few coats of a high quality wax on them that has a high carnuba content.