PDA

View Full Version : Review of 2016 Moomba Craz

Zim
07-22-2015, 09:35 AM
Well.. first off, huge thanks to Jon Allen for going 3 hours each direction out of his way to come give myself and another fellow member here, Jed, a chance to demo this boat. He definitely didn't have to do that, so props to him. He's representing the brand in a great way... give him a raise Rick haha.

Full disclosure... I haven't been on a ton of different boats. The boats I'm really familiar with are My own Supra 20v, the Supra 24SSV, Tige 2200i, and a couple others here and there that I've personally ridden on or behind. This was the first boat with a surf system that I've had a chance to ride behind, and newest boat by far that I've driven/ridden in. I have climbed around in some of the new MC's at the boat show, as well as Centurion, Bu's, Axis, and Tige's, but never been behind them.

Lets start with the looks of the boat. This is clearly subjective, but I thought it was a nicely designed boat. Nothing super fancy, nothing over the top, just a functional traditional bow boat with some size. For the 22 foot category, this thing had plenty of space inside, and was very large outside. I'm used to being able to rest my arms about shoulder level on my sunpad when i was standing next to my boat while on the trailer. This boats sunpad was level with the top of my head and I'm 6 feet tall. Lots of freeboard with this boat. The boat was plenty deep so your knees weren't in your chest, and had ample storage with the factor ballast. If you put enzo sacks in the rear lockers that come underneath into the storage, you'd lose most of your storage... especially if you have the IBS sack that (I believe) comes with the "surf edition".

The boat we got to demo was the promo photo boat, so it's the same boat that's on the Moomba.com home page when you look at the Craz. One thing you can't see in the pictures is the black on this boat has metal flake in it. The flake looked great in the sun, and it's cool to see black with flake in it. Here's some pictures of the boat that I took. There's lots of pics of this boat from moomba, so I didn't take a ton of the actual boat.

Here's some photos - Jon had started taking the bimini off so that's why it's just hanging there in spots haha.

http://i.imgur.com/6ZhYmw0h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/b5l11mJh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/qdhYP1Xh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OnVY8Nch.jpg

Zim
07-22-2015, 09:36 AM
More Pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/DMaMSrgh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fMcnwpMh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jeBbObah.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/kHqSYC6h.jpg

Zim
07-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Driveability

First, on how the boat drove. It handled wonderfully. Easy to turn, no cavitation under heavy throttle and sharp turns. The boat hardly turned on it's side at all... very stable, which is one thing Jon pointed out to us to notice, as the hull design keeps the boat very level. With the Raptor 400 and wakeboard prop, it got out of the hole in a hurry (granted we only had 3 people on board, but still). The boat didn't have much bow rise either, so sitting in the drivers seat without the bolster up, you could still easily see over the front of the bow. The cruise worked as it should, it got out of the hole, didn't ever overshoot your set speed, but got up to in slowly and stayed right there even through sharp turns. The boat took the wake just fine for a double up, but the lake was pretty calm, so I didn't get a real good feel for how it would do in chop, but at 4000 lbs dry, I think it'd do great. The boat powered through boat wakes no problem with minimal jarring.

Zim
07-22-2015, 09:49 AM
Stereo

For me, the stereo on my boat is important. I like loud, clean sound, and I like to sit at the sand bar here and there and play music too. I don't wakeboard much, but I want to hear the music when I do. Surfing is the primary thing I'm concerned with when it comes to audible distance of the stereo though, which doesn't take much.

This boat was equipped with the 6 in boats, and 4 roswell tower speakers. No subwoofer in the boat, and this one had the Fusion 2 zone system. Didn't really play around with this much, and to be fair, we only played the stereo a tiny bit while surfing, and it was the FM radio playing, so it's hard to get a good idea of the sound. For me personally, this is one place I'd probably save money. I'd just get my tower wired up and buy some Wetsounds for the cost that the factory speakers would be. I'd also omit the sub and put my own in there to my liking. From my experience with other boats from all manufacturers, the stock stereos just come underpowered. They work fine for most people, but I like things really really loud so I'd probably go with my own install on the stereo. It's hard to give a good comparison here because I have wetsounds in my boat on the tower, a JL sub in the footwell, and 6 inboats all amped up through my WS420SQ equilizer... so it sounds much better than what was in this boat, but for a budget sector boat, it would be sufficient. Just not for me.

Zim
07-22-2015, 10:00 AM
Features

The tower on this boat was the S bend tower. It looked great to me... it also had the Z5 on it, which looked awesome on the boat as well. One thing I noticed is that if you get the Z5, you won't be able to hang different bigger tower speakers from the top bars, and still fit between the tower and the bimini frame. You'd have to put the speakers above the tower, which may not appeal to some. If I was going to put different tower speakers on this boat, I'd order the standard bimini and forgo the z5. Standard bimini also includes surf pouches from what Jon said, and that would be the big reason for me to get the z5 anyway (to put surf boards up there), so I'd save the few thousand and just go standard bimini giving me more speaker options later down the road from the tower.

The flooring in this boat was the snap out carpet. I like carpet on my feet, so this was a great feature. Still can take it out, easy to replace, etc... but still have that nice feeling on your feet. You can also get snap out seadek style flooring on this boat. The material is stuck to a mat, not the floor of the boat, so you can take it out easily and not deal with a glue mess if you ever have to replace it. Great Idea to put that stuff on a mat and have it removable.

Board racks in this boat were swivel, and use the bungees. Only 1 per side, 4 boards total, then 2 surf boards on the bimini if you needed it. 6 total boards would serve most people just fine. If you put 10 people in this boat each with their own board, you'd be looking for space to put stuff. Would be hard to add racks too because of the way the S bend tower is designed, so some might run into issues there. For most, I doubt this would be a problem.

Convertible seating on this boat was nice. Jon was able to switch the seating around, and get the back rest mounted in under a couple minutes. Would be a pain to do this over and over (mainly because of the back rest), but it's a great feature. I'd use it a lot. The back rest option from the factory will include the back rest on the convertible seat, and a back rest for the starboard side bench that you'd put right behind the driver seat so people could use that as a rear facing seat as well. That would give enough room for 4-5 people to watch the action in the water while sitting backwards, more if people went in the bow. Seating was superb... people will love this layout.

Autoflow was easy to use on the boat. There was a switch to go from goofy to regular side, and the transition hardly took any time. Could really play around back there with good communication between driver/rider. That's the hard part. I tried a transition... I fell on my butt real quick haha. Would take some practice, but a HUGE plus and big factor in advancing the sport. You could also make fine tune adjustments by 5* (I believe) at a time. Really lets you dial the wake in for skim or surf style boarding depending on your preference.

The screen on the boat was easy to use/navigate. Would take a little time to play with it, but very user friendly and intuitive. Also love the fact that all of your ballast and all other toggle switches are still manual switches, not built into a screen. That's a HUGE plus IMO for those that want something thats simple, without all the gadgets that can break and cost a lot of money to replace.

deelan_
07-22-2015, 10:01 AM
Zim, how was the boat when yall loaded it down to surf? does it lean real hard to one side or evenly weighted?

Zim
07-22-2015, 10:14 AM
Wakeboard Wake

Lets talk about the wakeboard wake now...

This is where this boat really shined IMO. The boat was able to have a nice clean wake at any speed. We put it all the way down to mid 16's, and it was still a rideable wave for the beginners and smaller kids out there that were learning. The first picture here is at 18.6mph with no ballast and 3 adults in the boat. I didn't actually wakeboard, so no comment on it... but the wake looked great.

http://i.imgur.com/JP4CdRwh.jpg

Full size here:
http://i.imgur.com/JP4CdRw.jpg

Next.... 21.5mph, no ballast

http://i.imgur.com/8SDG6Jzh.jpg

Full size:
http://i.imgur.com/8SDG6Jz.jpg

Full ballast at 21.5mph

http://i.imgur.com/8zegBaW.jpg

Full size:
http://i.imgur.com/8zegBaW.jpg

Zim
07-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Surf Wave

This is also one of those things that this boat did exceptionally well. I don't have much for boats with surf systems to compare to, but if I got behind this boat, and only this boat, for the rest of my surfing career, I'd be happy with the wave.

The way the boat works with Autoflow 2.0, is you just even weight the boat... so that's what we did. Filled all the ballast in both side rear lockers, then choose the side you want to surf. Super easy, no tweaking necessary. You immediately get a great wave behind the boat. If you pile people on the surf side, it does help, but not needed. Here's a video of the wave going from goofy to regular. Cleans up real quick for a great wave. We had this set up for more of a surf style setup since that's what I was riding on... it was amazing. Push was great, could still recover from the very back of the wave where it started to curl over and the pocket was huge. You could ride close to the swim platform, or drop back and ride way back. This is the selling point on this boat for me. Wave is incredible. One thing that was great is when we put it full of ballast, the swim platform was still only like 4" under the surface of the water. I usually have my boat sunk to my knees when my ballast is full. This thing can hold some weight. More weight will only make this wave bigger and better. We surfed at 10.5mph, with 900-950lbs in each rear sack. Center hard tank was full, as was IBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or6tmPgL7qI

Some pictures of me back there. I'm 6 foot tall for reference:

http://i.imgur.com/4U1hVjTh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/E4Fk7JXh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NMqvLTIh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/omq5bJHh.jpg

Zim
07-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Overall Impressions

Well done SC, well done.

Great price point, boat looks great IMO, the boat handled wondefully, kicks out both a nice wakeboard wake and great surf wave. For those that have complained there's not something out there for the core rider that just wants good wakes... this is your boat. Unless you're a pro rider, these wakes will get you doing anything you want to do. Even the pro riders can likely kill it behind this boat without being held back from much. It comes with the quality you'd expect from SC in a basic package that does the things its supposed to without all the bling to add on to the price tag. This boat is a home run.

sivs1
07-22-2015, 10:50 AM
thanks for the review. The wave looks awesome and the ability to switch in under 15 seconds! wow. I'm not "really" looking for a new boat, but wow, this one is a contender. I am hoping to get out and emo one soon.

bluice311
07-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the detailed review AND pictures!

DatTexasBoy
07-22-2015, 12:18 PM
I am impressed also. I will fully admit coming from Axis and MB boats I never gave Moomba a second look, but these newer boats are putting out some great wakes and waves.

Jceclipse01
07-22-2015, 12:39 PM
What was the sticker price on that boat?

Zim
07-22-2015, 12:44 PM
What was the sticker price on that boat?

Dunno... Jon said optioned like this, it was 68K with the trailer. Not sure if that's MSRP, or "street price". I assume MSRP.

wolfeman131
07-22-2015, 01:25 PM
that should be MSRP and that boat was loaded up with the S bend and Z5 bimini

pauley71
07-22-2015, 02:03 PM
I know there is a lot of markup on the high-end brands, and logically a lot less in these value lines. Are we only talking a few thousand off for street price?

Mobius22
07-22-2015, 02:06 PM
On a boat that was just released a week ago, I wouldn't expect dealers to be cutting killer deals on them yet.

Zim
07-22-2015, 02:49 PM
that should be MSRP and that boat was loaded up with the S bend and Z5 bimini

Really the only other things that I'd want out of that boat would be a sub in it, and a heater. Otherwise the bimini/tower was more than I even would have put together myself.

jtryon
07-22-2015, 03:52 PM
great review, thanks!

Beejwest
07-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Great review! Wish I could've attended! After your review I feel like it's a bit underwhelming. Still having sacks sucks. Why not go with bigger hard tanks? The transfer seemed slow as well. Has anyone seen someone ride a transfer on the Craz yet? Looks kind of rough. The rear seat took minutes to set up for rear face? No standard sub or heater? Shower? Ballast pump type, aerator or impeller?

I'm not comparing this to my LSV because it absolutely smokes the LSV as far as I'm concerned. I'm probably going to be yelled at for saying this; this thing doesn't even hold a candle to the G21. STOP! I know what you're gonna say. I'm aware the MSRP is half that of the G. That is where this thing shines, like most Moombas. I don't mind the fit/finish items like chrome,metal flake, or electronics that Moomba is known for. What I want them to do is make a boat that surfs like a G at the Craz price. ;p that may be impossible, but I'm hoping they come around. Once you have a boat where you can transfer it opens up so much possibility.

KG's Supra24
07-22-2015, 04:14 PM
What? Compare to a G? Silly, wait until the new SA comes out or look at the SC and make a comparison. What budget boat has a sub heater and shower that's not an option? No, the reversible seat doesn't take minutes. What his timing was referring to on the seat is that Jon has a prototype seat that is a little more difficult to setup than the final production piece.

Still having sacks sucks? Skiers Choice has had sacks for years and now nearly every other company on the market has copied them. They nearly all use plug n play.

For what's its worth ... I've surfed both the G and the Craz ... yea the G has mega push but the Craz isn't lacking any push in the surf wave. It had quite a bit more push than the 100k Bu LSV I rode the next day ... which also had plug n play sacs.

I didn't try to transfer so can't really help there. How many seconds are they claiming a transfer takes?

Beejwest
07-22-2015, 04:18 PM
I believe Zim's write up said 15 seconds. Not sure what they claim. The G does it in 5-6 seconds. Really the only thing I was comparing the G with the Craz on was the transfer and the hard tanks. Yes bags suck. Once you spend time on a bot with only hard tanks and still has locker storage that is comparable to my LSV you'll never want to deal with a sack again.

KG's Supra24
07-22-2015, 04:24 PM
FWIW, I agree that the G is pretty much what everyone is/should be chasing but to compare a Moomba to Nauti is Craz .... ugh stupid puns :D

Zim
07-22-2015, 04:30 PM
I believe Zim's write up said 15 seconds. Not sure what they claim. The G does it in 5-6 seconds. Really the only thing I was comparing the G with the Craz on was the transfer and the hard tanks. Yes bags suck. Once you spend time on a bot with only hard tanks and still has locker storage that is comparable to my LSV you'll never want to deal with a sack again.

Transfer didn't take close to 15 seconds... it took 5 from my count from when I told Jon to switch sides to where the wave on the other side was all cleaned up. It had a surfable wave within 3 seconds of flipping the switch. In 5 seconds it was a completely clean face. Transfers are MORE than doable on this boat. I've never done one, and the one I tried I slid out on the mountain of a wave like I was on a sheet of ice it was so steep. Defintely could have done it if I knew what I was doing haha.

I've never surfed a G wave... but to date, the Craz is the best wave I've been on.

wolfeman131
07-22-2015, 04:35 PM
it doesn't take anywhere near 15 sec to transfer and the best G surf waves I've seen on a 21 or 23 require sacs and lead. Sorry, but they don't surf well with just the hard tanks.

At the USA Wakesurf Nationals, they have stuffed some 900-1,000 lbs in the nose and bags on top of the hard tanks (that you get to fill with a tsunami pump. YEA! Nice feature for a 6 figure boat) to make a comp-level wave. I'll throw my SG against the G23 any day and the SE against the G25 without any fear of embarrassment - except for the dude who cashed out his 401K for the G.

wolfeman131
07-22-2015, 04:38 PM
Once you have a boat where you can transfer it opens up so much possibility.

curious as to "possibility" for what?

jedandsara
07-22-2015, 04:42 PM

Yeah I was on the boat last night and the transfers took no more than 5 seconds. Check the transfer video he posted, at worst the full clean wave transfer was 6 seconds. Bags aren't perfect but for the extra 60k you would spend for a G21 I'll bet you could get some custom hard tanks built in lol or better yet buy a second boat and surf a spine!

KG's Supra24
07-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Yea, I forgot the video was posted .... clean at .06 (maybe even .07) and clean at .10

tater
07-22-2015, 05:20 PM
it doesn't take anywhere near 15 sec to transfer and the best G surf waves I've seen on a 21 or 23 require sacs and lead. Sorry, but they don't surf well with just the hard tanks.

At the USA Wakesurf Nationals, they have stuffed some 900-1,000 lbs in the nose and bags on top of the hard tanks (that you get to fill with a tsunami pump. YEA! Nice feature for a 6 figure boat) to make a comp-level wave. I'll throw my SG against the G23 any day and the SE against the G25 without any fear of embarrassment - except for the dude who cashed out his 401K for the G.

Hey Drew did you have to upgrade your bags in the SG? Considering a SG or SE,I know the SE needs more weight i believe the Supra freaks had 900's in the SE when they was here,looks like the Craz needs 900 as well,i believe that what is in the Demo boat but comes from the factory with 650's or 750's

jedandsara
07-22-2015, 05:42 PM
Hey Drew did you have to upgrade your bags in the SG? Considering a SG or SE,I know the SE needs more weight i believe the Supra freaks had 900's in the SE when they was here,looks like the Craz needs 900 as well,i believe that what is in the Demo boat but comes from the factory with 650's or 750's

The Craz comes from factory with the 650s. Not sure about the Supras.

wolfeman131
07-22-2015, 05:43 PM

Didn't "have" to, but when did more ballast hurt anyone, other than at last call that one night in college after your buddies had fed you about 13 shots of Jaeger . . .

We did put the 450's I bought from jmvotto under the seats. I wanted the enzo-style sacs but wakemakers wouldn't call me back and take my money. :(

Mobius22
07-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Little known fact, but the G's actually still use bags for their ballast systems...they're just below the floor. Actual hard tanks are tiny. That's why MC can only fit a small amount in theirs, same as Supra. Nautique has more ballast under their floor by not using hard tanks and instead sticking bags down there.

wolfeman131
07-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Little known fact, but the G's actually still use bags for their ballast systems...they're just below the floor.

#gamechanger

where's my damn watch?

Mobius22
07-22-2015, 05:49 PM
The Pebble Watch? I will pass and just give a thumbs up/down to the driver

wolfeman131
07-22-2015, 05:49 PM
If you were my driver, I'd use a different finger!

Mobius22
07-22-2015, 05:54 PM

and now I'm sad

DatTexasBoy
07-22-2015, 06:40 PM
The Craz comes from factory with the 650s. Not sure about the Supras.

Supra's come standard with 750's. I am just going to add some lead bags to avoid taking up any more storage than necessary. Probably 300# on each side.

tater
07-22-2015, 09:08 PM
Supra's come standard with 750's. I am just going to add some lead bags to avoid taking up any more storage than necessary. Probably 300# on each side.

Is it me or does the new SA look like a G21,only better,IMO ?

KG's Supra24
07-22-2015, 09:35 PM
Is it me or does the new SA look like a G21,only better,IMO ?
How would one compare looks? Got pics?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

tater
07-22-2015, 09:44 PM
I have a couple that was sent to me,let me find out if I can post before they throw me off the forum,LOL, I need Mr.Tinkers approval.

Mobius22
07-22-2015, 10:09 PM
I'm going to step out on a limb and say probably not a good idea to post before they release it

RickT
07-22-2015, 10:47 PM
I need to know who gave you pics. Reward money offered. :)

Do not post, please. :) And no, I don't think it looks anything like a G21.

tater
07-23-2015, 05:03 AM
I need to know who gave you pics. Reward money offered. :)

Do not post, please. :) And no, I don't think it looks anything like a G21.

No problem,I am looking at ordering a 2016 Supra soon and needed some pics to make a comparsion to no harm no foul they are save with me.

patrick232
07-23-2015, 08:30 AM
No problem,I am looking at ordering a 2016 Supra soon and needed some pics to make a comparsion to no harm no foul they are save with me.

I thought you started an ebay auction for the pictures, whats the bid up to?

parrothd
07-23-2015, 08:46 AM
What's this storage space you're taking about? Isn't that where the extra ballast goes?..:)

07STI
07-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Great review. Hoping to pick one up this weekend!

Mobius22
07-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Post pics when you do!

jmvotto
07-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Great review. Hoping to pick one up this weekend!

If these are on the showroom floor for sale , why can't we see��

07STI
07-23-2015, 03:07 PM
I think there are only a few out right now. I'll post pics after I go to my local dealer on Saturday.

KG's Supra24
07-23-2015, 03:29 PM
I think the two of you are talking about different boats .....

MJHSupra
07-23-2015, 03:57 PM
Little known fact, but the G's actually still use bags for their ballast systems...they're just below the floor. Actual hard tanks are tiny. That's why MC can only fit a small amount in theirs, same as Supra. Nautique has more ballast under their floor by not using hard tanks and instead sticking bags down there.

Who do I need to talk to about a SC factory tour? I want to come over some morning or afternoon to see Moomba & Supras getting put together.

Mark

wolfeman131
07-23-2015, 03:59 PM
call the factory

Mobius22
07-23-2015, 04:06 PM
call the factory

Yep, they're happy to set one up

jmvotto
07-23-2015, 04:29 PM
The new supra?

RickT
07-23-2015, 05:18 PM
The new Craz is at dealerships. The possible new Supra, if it existed, and I cannot confirm or deny, would not be at dealerships.....YET.

tater
07-23-2015, 08:08 PM
The new Craz is at dealerships. The possible new Supra, if it existed, and I cannot confirm or deny, would not be at dealerships.....YET.

Can you confirm that the Supra line also had the surf system tweaked just a little?

blackout_58
07-23-2015, 10:43 PM
MJH, the tour is fantastic! I got to do one last year and loved it, would definitely recommend. Just call the factory line and set it up.

brain_rinse
07-27-2015, 07:30 PM
I got to spend some time in a Craz last week. WOW this boat is really well done. I'm really impressed with pretty much everything they did with this boat. Nice work Rick and crew. We planned to do a water test the next day but the boat sold that same afternoon, and I'm not a bit surprised.

Beejwest
08-04-2015, 10:15 AM
curious as to "possibility" for what?

Makes it ridiculously easy to ride transfers, do tricks with reverses, switch feet on the board heel to toe then trasfer wakes and ride heel again etc. Because of the ease of switching waves on the G, I can now ride all four positions (heel and toe on goofy and regular) comfortably.

I definitely want to love the Craz, much more so when you compare MSRP's. I want to demo one. I'd like to say I'll be looking to upgrade for next summer.

Rode for about 20 minutes behind a 2015 Mastercraft X23 Friday. Thing threw a great wave! The windshield wass goofy as all hell though. Never have seen a boat with a window that ends. (If you haven't seen it, look it up.) Also the weird bend in the gunnel under the tower makes it look goofy IMO. The transom seats are an awesome feature. Supposedly not to be used under way, which we ignored. I'm sure it's illegal too but we were out for about 40 minutes with a huge crew after jumping on from my buddy's G so we needed the extra seats. It had no FAE and when surfing I feel like I breathed more fumes than any other boat I've ridden behind. Transfers on it were smooth, but slower than the G by maybe 1-2 seconds and way way way faster than my LSV :p The transfers were easy to ride through once you and the driver worked out the timing. Unfortunately, the MSRP on the G and the X23 are almost identical. This pushes me back to the Craz.

Also interesting factoid about the bags on the G. They certainly don't market it very clearly. Maybe it's the visibility factor of the bags that I dislike...

Mobius22
08-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Definitely think you'll be impressed with the surf wakes on the Craz, as well as how well the Auto-Flow 2.0 works to create a great wave and switch sides quickly

KG's Supra24
08-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Still not really sure how you compare an x23, g, and craz. You are either shopping 120k boats or you aren't. A fair comparison is new sa, sg, or se.

With that said, I rode craz and g within last month and didn't think the g surf wave was notably more impressive.

I actually ranked the x23 surf wave higher than the g at surffest. I thought it had a larger sweet spot. The SE was on par. Imo, Malibu has lost its place in the top 3 to supra

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk