PDA

View Full Version : Touchy wake on 2014 lsv

Jrichard1987
07-21-2015, 11:57 PM
My 2014 lsv has factory ballast with the ibs installed and it seems when I'm loaded up full with ballast it gets really sensitive side to side for the wake washing out... Had four people in the boat tonight had to keep moving people around and playing with wake plate to get it right. Am I the only one noticing these wakes being sensitive???

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

wolfeman131
07-22-2015, 05:57 PM
do you have the flow system on your boat?

yes, any boat listed for surfing will be effected by the shifting of weight, be it people or other forms of ballast. Every boat, regardless of mfg, will require some tweaking every time out based on crew, conditions and even fuel. A gallon of fuel weighs in at around 6lbs (I think). So, fill up my SG at 72 gal and you have an extra 432 lbs versus when we're running on fumes.

yz 2smoke
07-22-2015, 06:16 PM
Instead of moving people around I just adjust the ballast.

Mj Mac
07-22-2015, 07:48 PM
My 2010 lsv has the manual flow on it and to get a decent wave I still have to list it a bit. I have 750's in the back. Only surf regular so have my surf side full and offside only 1/2-2/3 depending on crew. I don't have an ibs but I run a 400 on my surf side front seat and then 400 in the floor looker. I was told to have the swim platform level as possible from front to back. I found if I filled the rear all the way it was swamping the flow. Hope that helps.

kaneboats
07-22-2015, 10:55 PM
A gallon of fuel weighs in at around 6lbs (I think). So, fill up my SG at 72 gal and you have an extra 432 lbs versus when we're running on fumes.

I think I just figured out why I haven't nailed my 360. Gotta go first before we burn up that extra 90 lbs. of gas or so. That could be the difference with my LSV.

mmandley
07-23-2015, 02:36 AM
My 2014 lsv has factory ballast with the ibs installed and it seems when I'm loaded up full with ballast it gets really sensitive side to side for the wake washing out... Had four people in the boat tonight had to keep moving people around and playing with wake plate to get it right. Am I the only one noticing these wakes being sensitive???

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

If your wake boarding, the LSV and Mojo <had them both> Are very sensitive side to side at 20+ mph. Even the rider loading up in the flats will pull the boat enough to wash out the landing side until they get in the air and release that side ways tension on the tower.

Weighting the boat down more does help but I have always noticed its sensitive.

parrothd
07-23-2015, 12:32 PM
For my older LSV, I have this issue if using to much wakeplate (all the way down or close too)to stop the wake from curling over. I add more ballast up front and use less wakeplate keeps the side to side movements less..

Jrichard1987
07-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the posts. I don't have the flow and primarily wakeboard. I usually fill the ballast all full and drain accordingly to tweak for people in the boat. Get tired of being that guy telling everyone where to sit haha.

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

rdlangston13
07-24-2015, 08:55 AM
Why do so many people automatically assume he is referring to surfing?? Yes, that running surface generation of the LSV is very weight sensitive side to side for wake boarding. Constant battle with my 08 LSV. The 15 and newer Mojos supposedly address this issue.

Jrichard1987
07-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Noticed this weekend that my boat now floats about 2 inches lower on left side than right. Pretty well need my rear ballast on that side with half and other side full to level it out... Very weird nothing changed cargo wise that could have changed that. But I am noticing now im getting more water leaking in the boat which it was always dry before too...

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

AGIII
07-27-2015, 10:04 AM
From my experience, every wake boat has this problem. My neighborhood is a bit of a boat testing ground. We have an X-Star, X-1, SC 350, XLV and my LSV. All of these boats, as well as a few others that I have ridden on (G23 and an older Nautique model) have the same issue. That's why they sell 150lb ballast bags that you can throw around the cockpit to even out the weight distribution. By the way, in case you are wondering, the X-1 has the best wake out of the bunch. It is huge and very vertical (if you like that sort of wake when you are wakeboarding). I think my LSV comes in second (big wake, but slightly less vertical). Followed by the SC 350, X-Star and XLV. The SC 350 is brand new so we are still dialing the wake in...I think it will be very similar to my LSV once we get it dialed in. Interestingly, on the SC 350, the wake is wider but I need to ride at 70 feet to get the sweet spot of the wake. I usually ride at 65 feet, but I was not getting the sweet spot of the wake at 65. The X-Star is just running factory ballast, so I think that once he upgrades, the wake will be comparable to the X-1, but the wake right now is similar to my LSV with no bags full and wake plate up. Haven't ridden on the XLV in a while, but I don't recall it being better than any of the other wakes, but it was still a good wake.

Jrichard1987
07-28-2015, 08:38 AM
From my experience, every wake boat has this problem. My neighborhood is a bit of a boat testing ground. We have an X-Star, X-1, SC 350, XLV and my LSV. All of these boats, as well as a few others that I have ridden on (G23 and an older Nautique model) have the same issue. That's why they sell 150lb ballast bags that you can throw around the cockpit to even out the weight distribution. By the way, in case you are wondering, the X-1 has the best wake out of the bunch. It is huge and very vertical (if you like that sort of wake when you are wakeboarding). I think my LSV comes in second (big wake, but slightly less vertical). Followed by the SC 350, X-Star and XLV. The SC 350 is brand new so we are still dialing the wake in...I think it will be very similar to my LSV once we get it dialed in. Interestingly, on the SC 350, the wake is wider but I need to ride at 70 feet to get the sweet spot of the wake. I usually ride at 65 feet, but I was not getting the sweet spot of the wake at 65. The X-Star is just running factory ballast, so I think that once he upgrades, the wake will be comparable to the X-1, but the wake right now is similar to my LSV with no bags full and wake plate up. Haven't ridden on the XLV in a while, but I don't recall it being better than any of the other wakes, but it was still a good wake.
Good to know!!! I definitely like seeing where the lsv places amongst all the top brand boats for wake quality. When my boats wake is dialed in its awesome! Maybe I'll just have to get another small bag or some lead to offset the weight a bit. Weird I never noticed it before though. What do you find for ballast and wakeplate setup creates the best wake on your lsv?? Mine was spot on with ibs and factory rear bags all full and just driver in boat earlier this spring. But get a few extra people in the boat and it gets real sensitive

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

AGIII
07-28-2015, 09:11 AM
I have 750s in the back, 650 in the center and 500 IBS. I ride with all of them full and the wake plate 1/2 way up. Wake plate all the way down is fine, but I find the wake a little more vertical if it is half way up. When the wake plate is all the way up, it sometimes causes the wake to wash out a little.

rdlangston13
07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
I have 750s in the back, 650 in the center and 500 IBS. I ride with all of them full and the wake plate 1/2 way up. Wake plate all the way down is fine, but I find the wake a little more vertical if it is half way up. When the wake plate is all the way up, it sometimes causes the wake to wash out a little.

I ride with 650s in the back full, center 400 full, and the IBS full with the wake plate either at half way if I have a couple people sitting in the bow or all the way down with the bow empty at 22 mph. This may change since my 650s are new as of a couple months ago and we have not really been able to get any good wakeboard sets in from all the flooding.

Jrichard1987
07-28-2015, 12:13 PM
I was always trying to run with wakeplate all the way up asking as it won't porpoise maybe that's part of my problem. Good to know what others are running

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

brain_rinse
07-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Get more weight up front if you can. The big bags in the rear are the easiest to fill but the least valuables to improving the wakeboard wake in my experience. The IBS is the biggest improvement, followed by a crew of people on the boat.

rdlangston13
07-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Get more weight up front if you can. The big bags in the rear are the easiest to fill but the least valuables to improving the wakeboard wake in my experience. The IBS is the biggest improvement, followed by a crew of people on the boat.

And the wake plate helps simulate front end weight by forcing the nose down a little.

brain_rinse
07-28-2015, 02:08 PM
And the wake plate helps simulate front end weight by forcing the nose down a little.

Definitely. Another approach to finding the right setup is to fill IBS and center and put wakeplate all the way up then add rear weight until you get some porpoise then back off the weight a bit.

Jrichard1987
07-28-2015, 11:09 PM
I was always trying to run with wakeplate all the way up asking as it won't porpoise maybe that's part of my problem. Good to know what others are running

Jordan
2014 moomba möbius lsv

DaveM
07-30-2015, 05:25 PM
I have a 2013 LSV, so same hull as yours. You may think I'm crazy, but water depth impacts my wake during surfing as much as weight placement in the boat. I've noticed that water depth >10 ft. creates a higher wave with much more push. Shallow water, 8-10 ft, seems to have a smaller wake which is harder to surf. And yes, you can have too much weight on one side of my boat for surfing, so I move people around a bit. I don't have IBS, but usually just put someone up front. Speed is 10.5, wake plate in up position.

parrothd
07-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Depth is a huge factor, needs to be at least 10+ feet for a decent wave, the deeper the better.

Even with the gate you need to remove ballast from the non surf side. I run 1100 plus 450 under the seat and 600 ish on the non surf side along with center and IBS and everyone on the surf side..