PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Craz- few questions

goridedoo
07-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Im in the market for a new boat, will be a first time owner. I have honestly only wakeboarded a couple of times and never surfed but I live a few miles from a great lake and have wanted a boat since highschool. I own a couple of stand up jet skis, I love them but I am ready to dump those and make the jump to a boat. I intially was looking into a 2016 Axis A22, got a rough price on one with the base 350 and super plain jane trailer and im still over 20k in options alone. Wow.

After doing some looking at the Craz I am really drawn to it, standard 400 motor, better warranty, nicer interior IMO and a lower price tag are all huge selling points in my opinion. I am a little concerned that the wake and surf wave will be inferior to that of the A22, but maybe I shouldnt worry about that beings I am a beginner... But at the same time im buying a WAKE boat for the wake right? I suppose there will be no real answer to how good the wake is behind the craz until it been around a little longer. Anyways here are my main questions-

Zero off? Can someone explain the difference between this and the standard cruise or maybe post a link for me? It is an expensive upgrade, is it really needed?

How is the stereo system on these boats from the factory? I like that the axis boat come with wetsounds, from what I know they are about as good of marine speakers as you can buy. Looks like the moombas come with kicker stuff, is it worth it to upgrade from the factory or do that later on with a different brand? Im not an audio junkie by any means, but I do like a good sounding stereo and can definitely tell the difference between a good one and a bad one.

I havent been in boat with the non-skid snap in flooring. Is this material similar to seadek or gatorstep? I dont want to deal with carpet.

Lastly what is the advantage of the standard tower vs the s bend? Looks? Height? Easier to fold?

Im sure I will have more questions as I get closer to buying, looking to order in november or december so I am still aways out. Still really having a hard time deciding between an axis and a moomba, both dealers are an hour and a half away, I kind of like the axis dealer and salesman better, but am leaning towards the moomba boat. Tough, but all very exciting, I cant wait for next summer. I appreciate any help and or advice.

Royce

rbeckner27
07-21-2015, 09:23 PM
Zero off is gps based and standard is paddle wheel based. Me personally I have the standard on my mojo and think it does just fine so I can't say I would make that a selling point for me.

Wetsounds or exile audio are about as good as it gets when it comes to marine audio but the audio is something that can be easily upgraded after you have had the boat a year or two and have decided how much you really want/need.

Don't know much about the snap in non skid but I personally would look awfully hard at deckadence material for about $500 they will make if for your boat and the material feels awesome on your feet and drains really well.

Not familiar with the tower sorry no help there.

Me personally I can't get over the fit and finish look of a moomba compared to the axis but it is all personal preference. As for the wake I don't think you will ever be disappointed in the moomba wake.

pauley71
07-21-2015, 09:53 PM
I was sucked in by the Craz launch but after talking with my dealer, the Mojo isn't much more and its larger. There's only going to be a few thousand separating them.

Also - The '400' motor is 400 ft lbs of torque but only 315-320 HP. Folks tend to focus on HP so just clarifying.

If you have never owned a boat, I would consider one that is 2-3 yrs old. It will take the biggest hit (ie, depreciation) in the first few years and you get to decide if you and your family are boaters. Not a bad thing, but I would guess MANY folks wish they got in lower and could get out cheaper.

DatTexasBoy
07-21-2015, 10:06 PM
I was sucked in by the Craz launch but after talking with my dealer, the Mojo isn't much more and its larger. There's only going to be a few thousand separating them.

Also - The '400' motor is 400 ft lbs of torque but only 315-320 HP. Folks tend to focus on HP so just clarifying.

If you have never owned a boat, I would consider one that is 2-3 yrs old. It will take the biggest hit (ie, depreciation) in the first few years and you get to decide if you and your family are boaters. Not a bad thing, but I would guess MANY folks wish they got in lower and could get out cheaper.

This is true but if you buy used you do not get the Warranty. Just something else to factor in.

KG's Supra24
07-21-2015, 10:39 PM
I'd say the wakeboard wake will be inferior on the Craz, in comparison to the Axis. However, until you have multiple inverts and spins, any of the inboards on the market are going to give you more wake than you will ever need. It's mostly a moot point, especially for a beginner. I surfed the Craz last weekend and the push and size of the wave was great. I also drove a 15 Bu 23LSV the same weekend, from a driving standpoint, autoflow vs surfgate ... drivability is an easy head nod to the Moomba when surfing.

Zero off vs cruise is above. Not knowing any different cruise works just fine. If you have an area with possible bad GPS reception or current, the cruise might actually be the better choice.

I agree Wetsounds is a better speaker but I'd be surprised if Axis was wired correctly from factory to get the most of the speakers. If you are talking inboats, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If the Axis has Wetsounds tower speakers (properly powered) then there is certainly some money value there in favor of the Axis. You are in for a couple grand minimum to get that on the Craz.

Yes, non skid snap in is similar to the gatorstep.

Dealer should certainly be a factor as you will be working with them regularly, especially on a new boat. Where are you located?

jmvotto
07-21-2015, 10:42 PM
Buy a Moomba. Axis sucks :o

Plus the A22 surf wave is lame

nitrodude24
07-21-2015, 10:52 PM

ok I don't know where you got those horsepower numbers from but their not even close. The base engine's numbers are in the 385hp and 405 ftlb range similar to what the base gasoline v8 engine is in the super duty. FORD ADVERTISES THESE NUMBERS.....you can't detune hp and keep torque besides I traded in a 2014 Mobius LSV with a 330 and 2015 Mojo is a night and day difference in power. The closed loop cooling system would be deal breaker for me....it's standard on the indmar and an EXPENSIVE option for everyone else.

goridedoo
07-21-2015, 11:32 PM
I am located in East Central South Dakota. I have definitely looked into a used boat, but I just hate the idea of not buying a boat from one of the 2 dealers near me, I know I wouldnt get the service I would if I bought a boat from them. My season will be short as it is, would hate to have issues and be off the water for a few while because the dealer is working on their customers boats. Theres just not a lot of options where I'm at.

Can anyone confirm the HP numbers, I do see that the moomba book I have claims 404 ft/lbs torque but doesnt mention anything about HP.

KG's Supra24
07-21-2015, 11:53 PM
I am located in East Central South Dakota. I have definitely looked into a used boat, but I just hate the idea of not buying a boat from one of the 2 dealers near me, I know I wouldnt get the service I would if I bought a boat from them. My season will be short as it is, would hate to have issues and be off the water for a few while because the dealer is working on their customers boats. Theres just not a lot of options where I'm at.

Can anyone confirm the HP numbers, I do see that the moomba book I have claims 404 ft/lbs torque but doesnt mention anything about HP.

Sorry no numbers but I can tell you I wouldn't worry about it too much. I was in the Craz with the base 400 ... no ballast it felt like a sports car, with ballast (900'ish rears and IBS) it did just fine.

The new raptor motor definitely seem more peppy than the GM counterparts.

viking
07-22-2015, 12:01 AM
I personally would look awfully hard at deckadence material for about $500 they will make if for your boat and the material feels awesome on your feet and drains really well.

I second this! Consider base snap carpet or whatever the option is, save the cash and price out deckadence. You might have to make a template as it's a new model but probably the best all around option imo. and with Template your sure it will fit perfect.

jedandsara
07-22-2015, 12:15 AM

Was just with one of the Moomba sales managers today and he said CARB rates this engine at 350HP and other independent tests have rated it higher. I have a Mojo with the Indmar 330 and I was really impressed with the power of the new Raptor 400. I looked hard at the Axis before buying my Mojo and I was really impressed with the Craz today. The wake for surfing and wakeboarding was awesome. I would say hands down the Craz over an Axis. We surfed the Craz today with just three people in the boat and it was impressive.

goridedoo
07-22-2015, 12:48 AM
Was just with one of the Moomba sales managers today and he said CARB rates this engine at 350HP and other independent tests have rated it higher. I have a Mojo with the Indmar 330 and I was really impressed with the power of the new Raptor 400. I looked hard at the Axis before buying my Mojo and I was really impressed with the Craz today. The wake for surfing and wakeboarding was awesome. I would say hands down the Craz over an Axis. We surfed the Craz today with just three people in the boat and it was impressive.
I see you have a 2014 Mojo, how is the wave compared to that?

jedandsara
07-22-2015, 02:20 AM
I see you have a 2014 Mojo, how is the wave compared to that?

Similar, but I would say the Craz was slightly better. The Craz is a little smaller so it's easier to sink hence a better wave out of the box. I'm not sure if it was the new hull or Auto Flow 2 but I felt the wave wrapped around behind me a little more than my 14 Mojo creating a little more push. We only had two adults in the boat when we were surfing so that was impressive! I can get a really nice wave with my 14 Mojo with a few extra adults but being a big boat it's harder with only a couple adults.

rdlangston13
07-22-2015, 07:35 AM

Its actually 386 hp and 401 lb/ft of torque. Still more than the 350 hp in the axis.

cpropes2005
07-22-2015, 08:50 AM
I bought my Mojo earlier this year and the only other boat that I really considered was an Axis T23. Most of these have already been mentioned but the main things that swayed me towards the Mojo were:
1. Windshield: I know this is debated a lot on the forums but I hated the Axis windshield. We demoed the Axis on a windy day and everyone got sprayed, even the driver and person in the observers seat. I was almost willing to look past that but it is also very short. When driving my head stuck up above the windshield even with the bolster down. (I am pretty tall so maybe this isn't an issue for most people.
2. Raptor standard: I think Axis changed the gear ratio on the 350 for 2015 so I honestly didnt notice as much of a difference in power as I thought I would but I think the 350 has to turn higher RPM's and work harder to make the same power so fuel economy wont be as good.
3. Closed cooling: I really wanted this because I like having a heater and it makes winterizing really easy. I know you can have a heater without closed cooling but then it becomes one more thing to worry about freezing.
4. Dash and styling: The dash on the Moomba is much better in my opinion and while I dont mind the aggresive styling of the axis boats I prefer the cleaner lines of the Moombas.

For your tower question I ended up going with the Sbend. I love how it looks but the main reason for me was because it is about a foot higher off of the floor than the standard OZ tower. OZ tower was about eye level for me and the Sbend is way above my head. I think you can also get the Aviator tower which has a similar look to the sbend but less expensive. Not sure how it compares on the height measurement.

Zim
07-22-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm about to write a full review of the craz with pictures... I'm sure most of your questions will be answered. Impressive boat for sure.

goridedoo
07-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Awesome review Zim, well worth the read. I think most of my questions have been answered. Few more

Moot point, but does anyone know how many grays moomba offers for interior vinyl colors? Ive seen pictures of a newer supra with 3 different grays and love it. I may try to post a pic. Also worried that white show dirt and have an aged look earlier.

As far as trailer options go, will the base wheels hold up and not corrode or rust or is it worth it to upgrade?

Torsions axles vs the leaf sprung?

I do plan to tow a quite a bit, its a 10 mile drive to my lake and I am hoping to go lake powell at least once, and make it an annual deal if we enjoy it.

goridedoo
07-22-2015, 12:43 PM
Hoping I would be able to basically copy this interior. Would that gray get hot?

sivs1
07-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Hoping I would be able to basically copy this interior. Would that gray get hot?

love that color combo, yes the gray will get hot. I have a lighter gray than that and it gets hot.

Zim
07-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Awesome review Zim, well worth the read. I think most of my questions have been answered. Few more

Moot point, but does anyone know how many grays moomba offers for interior vinyl colors? Ive seen pictures of a newer supra with 3 different grays and love it. I may try to post a pic. Also worried that white show dirt and have an aged look earlier.

As far as trailer options go, will the base wheels hold up and not corrode or rust or is it worth it to upgrade?

Torsions axles vs the leaf sprung?

I do plan to tow a quite a bit, its a 10 mile drive to my lake and I am hoping to go lake powell at least once, and make it an annual deal if we enjoy it.

Can't comment on the vinyl colors yet. Jon said the colorizer should be up and running soon... they were updating it at SC so it just wasn't ready yet. That'll give you a better idea once that's up.

As for trailer, the stock wheel option on the trailers looked great. I wouldn't expect corrosion at all with them, just keep them clean and out of salt.

I didn't look under the boat to see what kind of axles it was on. My boatmate trailer has torsion axles and they've been fine. Leaf springs rust out. I wouldn't be too concerned about this.