PDA

View Full Version : Give up on the front roll and go for scarecrow?

JASONZ
07-21-2015, 10:36 AM
ok - I just can't get the front roll.
I ride into the wake, stand tall, pop high, pull the handle into the hip and then when I throw the flip it looks like a "laid-out" front flip and I cant make the rotation and land on my arse . When I try to huck the rotation faster I miss the pop.
I'm thinking about just going for the scarecrow because it looks like I can throw this trick without getting all tucked up like I need to do for the front roll.
I really need to get a TS invert down. A couple of my buddies also recommended TS backroll because I can tantrum and take my TS air big.
Tips?!
Thanks in advance

bzubke1
07-21-2015, 10:59 AM
The scarecrow is much easier to land. Really the easiest invert in my opinion. I say go for it but don't give up on the front roll. Have someone take some video of your attempts it'll usually become clear what your issue is. If not post it up here and someone will have some insight.

mcdye
07-21-2015, 12:08 PM
This was my sons first attempt at a SC 2 years ago. He had the TS FRoll. He was told by several, once he had the SC not to hang up the TS FRoll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA6UNDxfQzE

He has since got the SC at the start of this season. For the TS FRoll, when you throw the flip, try and grab the board...might help.

mjr119
07-21-2015, 01:09 PM
Definitely grab the boar indy when you try the TS front roll. When I boarded a lot this definitely helped me get the rotation at first. Most people learn scarecrows before front rolls. Also when you start getting the rotation, it helps to remember to land over your toes to ride it out, almost over rotate it. I under rotated and skipped out on my heels for a long time before I finally landed one.

New Guy
07-25-2015, 09:51 AM
One of our riding buddies lost his ts roll the moment he started throwing SC's. He claims that he sc is much easier.

tnbrooks01
08-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Scarecrow is an easier rotation that front roll. The thing with front roll is to "try" to do a 1.5 flip. helps to stay tucked and not reach for the water that will cause you to slide out on your heels.

pnajim
08-14-2015, 01:21 AM
Dont give up on the TS front roll. Staying tucked with the handle tight on your hip is the best advice. I think it is best to keep working on it before moving to the scarecrow. You ideally should be able to do both and differentiate the two moves. You are already this far, just commit a little harder with tucking and you will land it soon. I just started landing about 1 per set and it feels awesome! I will move to the easier Scarecrow once I have front rolls at 50%. Here is a recent video:
https://vimeo.com/135879849

JASONZ
09-21-2015, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the tips and positive vibes. I came really close on my last few attempts. I'm going to stick the next one I try.
The problem I was having was that I was not use the proper "tall" edge which was causing me to miss the pop.
I am hitting the pop and seeing the landing. Just need to ride away now.

JASONZ
06-16-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all the tips...I had to wait for this over the winter but I landed a few scarecrows and it feels great to flip both ways across the wake.
Someday I will get back on that Front roll! ....maybe TS backroll next and I am also tempted to go for the front flip. I find the progressive edge easier than the trick flip edge.