PDA

View Full Version : Newbi boat owner ?

onebadssv
07-19-2015, 10:25 PM
So I just purchased a 2004 launch22ssv. Beautiful looking and operating boat. I spent the weekend boating and enjoyed a lot of quality time on the water. I did some playing with the ballast system, wake plate etc and never found my perfect zone ( for wake boarding). My boat has 1200lb total ballast. 700 up front 250 in each rear locker. It seemed like no matter what I did I could not make a wake solid at 18-23mph. I had to be upward of 27-30 to stiffen up the wake walls and it looked beautiful at those speeds. At Lower speeds it was just soft and crumbling. Can anyone give me some good tips or ideas to try and get the wake lips more consistent at lower speeds?

Thanks!!

onebadssv
07-20-2015, 06:49 PM
No ideas boat vets?

sivs1
07-20-2015, 06:51 PM
250 in the rears is nothing. add more weight.

jimmylsv
07-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Put 750 in each rear locker, wake plate about half way. At 20 you can shorten rope about 20 feet and it will be firmer but not stiff. At 18 you will need a very short rope so you are not riding in the the area that the walke starts to curl over. The only reason to ride that slow is the water is softer when learning new tricks.

I spent probably the first year wake boarding at 18 to 20. I did not really improve much. I then rode with some really good riders and they showed me the benefits of riding faster. You can edge hard and launch much easier.

The best way to ride with a firm crisp wake is to ride between 23 and 24. It may take a little getting used to but at 18 to 20 you are riding in the water not on top. The only way to get used to that speed is ride at that speed.

onebadssv
07-20-2015, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the input guys. This past Saturday when I was being pulled I did notice the faster I was going the easier the cuts became and I had a lot less arm fatigue. At one point I did tell the driver to back off slightly and he said when I told him that we were going 26. I may see if I can become comfortable riding at 23-25 on our next trip out. As for weight in the rear I have heard that from many people now so I think that will be my next step. When I go out Friday I'm taking five friends so I will fill up the 500lbs that's in the rear and have 4 sit on the back bench to see if that additional weight in the rear helps. If so I will go ahead and purchase some larger rear bags. Thanks for the tips, keep them coming and I will update as I progress.

jimmylsv
07-21-2015, 09:01 PM
Their is a set of DVDS called The Book or something like that, it is great instructional for wake boarding and wake boat driving. It is definitely worth purchasing. I purchased my first wake board boat in 2003. I purchased the instructional video almost 2 years later, and after watching video for an hour realized, I was pretty much doing everything wrong. It will cut down your learning curve. Pretty funny. I had grown up skiing and thought I could just figure it all out.

KG's Supra24
07-21-2015, 10:49 PM
I actually disagree with most of above.

First, check your speed with GPS. Are you really going 25+? There is no need to go that fast unless you are slammed and you are far from slammed. You can use a phone app to check GPS speed

Also are your bags filling? Especially your front one. Make sure they aren't full of air when you think they are full.

As for weight distribution, from my experience, Supra tends to like front heavy. Overall you really don't have very much weight and the people weight in the cabin are acting as ballast. I wouldn't worry about filling the rear compartments. Fill the bow and try leaving the rears empty at first. It should make the clean part of the wake longer, which is what you are doing by going 25+.

There should be no reason you can't ride between 20 and 23 mph.