PDA

View Full Version : one tower speaker out

casmith71
07-19-2015, 05:25 PM
july 4th my starboard side tower speaker quit working. narrowed it down to the twist connector being the issue. ordered a new one and installed it and it works but now the port side doesn't. they are wired to a 4ch amp and the other 2ch are bridged for the sub. I switched the wires at the amp and still just the starboard side works. swapped the speakers and same thing. changed the connectors and same thing. switched the sub and towers out at the amp and still just starboard. I don't get how they both worked fine and then when I fix the starboard the port quit working. is it maybe bad speaker wire? or bad RCA? all channels of the amp are working. the sub is fine and the one tower that is working is clear and loud. my next step is to pull new wire through the tower but if that doesn't fix it, that's a lot of work for nothing. any ideas?

jikemones
07-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Any luck in tracking this down? Mine just started to do the same thing. I'm afraid the amp is dead on the one channel.

David Analog
07-28-2016, 05:29 PM
july 4th my starboard side tower speaker quit working. narrowed it down to the twist connector being the issue. ordered a new one and installed it and it works but now the port side doesn't. they are wired to a 4ch amp and the other 2ch are bridged for the sub. I switched the wires at the amp and still just the starboard side works. swapped the speakers and same thing. changed the connectors and same thing. switched the sub and towers out at the amp and still just starboard. I don't get how they both worked fine and then when I fix the starboard the port quit working. is it maybe bad speaker wire? or bad RCA? all channels of the amp are working. the sub is fine and the one tower that is working is clear and loud. my next step is to pull new wire through the tower but if that doesn't fix it, that's a lot of work for nothing. any ideas?

Your logic is on the right track. You have everything you need in substituting equipment in order to isolate the problematic part. You shouldn't need to run new wire as a diagnostic step. Just swap the speakers at the top of the tower, or, if you must, use an alternate speaker wire run directly from the amplifier to the speaker outside of the tower before you route a new harness through the tower. As a final step, to confirm a bad speaker beyond question, test that speaker outside of the tower loop.

jzelt
07-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Our's has a plug at the base of the tower where it enters into the boat from the tower on the port side. Verify/push on it.