PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass turning on and off

kmcg
07-17-2015, 01:28 PM
I have perfect pass in my 2006 LSV. The power seems to be turning on and off to the unit at different times. I have checked the the wiring connections and they seem to attached properly. Any trouble shooting would be much appreciated.

Also I broke the tow bar on the back of the boat. Any one know where I can order this after market?

Thanks for the help

mjr119
07-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Where is the purple wire from the module connected? It sounds like you have a voltage issue.

CMAC21
07-17-2015, 08:06 PM
Following. ..not to hijack your post but Got on here with the same question tonight. same boat, year, and problem. Hope to get answers. Is there a specific place the purple cable should be?

trayson
07-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Where is the purple wire from the module connected? It sounds like you have a voltage issue.

I would agree. Perfect pass wants good voltage. The problems can come from not getting a good enough power or a good enough ground. Check the voltage at your battery and again at the PP (in fact PP can measure voltage). If you have a loss by the time you get to the PP, then that's your issue.

Grounds at the helm are notoriously crappy. When in doubt run a new circuit.

mjr119
07-18-2015, 10:38 AM
Perfect pass told me to connect the purple wire to the ignition switch. And if that didn't help to run the PP ground directly to the battery.

JesseC
07-19-2015, 01:11 AM
I fought this on my 02. If the dash isn't getting good power it will do this as well. Unplug your engine harness and check to make sure the both sides of the plug are not corroded. My battery positive was badly corroded and I cleaned it with a wire bristle pipe cleaner used to clean gun barrels.

kmcg
07-20-2015, 01:50 PM
I checked the voltage and got a reading of 11 volts. I traced the wires and checked the connection at two electrical connectors in the wire harness and got the same reading. The PP then started working and I can not duplicate the problem. I am hoping that it was a loose connection.

trayson
07-20-2015, 02:19 PM
I checked the voltage and got a reading of 11 volts. I traced the wires and checked the connection at two electrical connectors in the wire harness and got the same reading. The PP then started working and I can not duplicate the problem. I am hoping that it was a loose connection.

11 isn't enough. that circuit sucks. I predict you're going to have the same problem resurface until you can get your PP some good, clean voltage that measures 12 volts or more.

On my Supra, I ran a new 4 or 8 gauge wire from the battery (perko switch really) to the distro block where all my fuses were. I likewise ran a new wire from the battery negative to a bus bar (distro block) and then I knew damn well that I had a great power and ground to give my PP.

Like I said, the wiring in the helm of boats is typically daisy chained and not wired efficiently. all sorts of jumpers and spade connectors adding resistance and spots where corrosion can happen.

Perfect pass is well known to be sensitive to voltage, so making sure it has a good, clean circuit to run on is your ultimate solution.

ninedriver
07-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Agree with above about good voltage and clean ground. Also, PP had a software / hardware update not too long ago. I believe they can update your box for a nominal fee. They're great people to work with , you can call them directly.

ranger098
07-28-2015, 03:24 PM
One way to probably replicate the issue is to hit your trim tab lever. the power taken to move the tab will take power away from the PP and possibly replicate your issue.

Also, check your main engine ground (lower port side of the engine, toward the front of the boat). Take the double ended nut off and scrape the paint that is likely there to give you a better ground connection. I had a few weird issues in my 02 lsv and that was the fix.