PDA

View Full Version : Drain plug light review

gpd005
07-16-2015, 02:06 PM
So I've read all the reviews on drain plug lights and I've had lights that I installed on my last boat, but I just hate drilling holes in my new boat. So I started doing a little research and came across a drain plug light made by Diablo Royale Customs. Their website is www.boatpluglight.com and before anyone says anything I'm not associated with them in anyway what so ever. I bought a dual head light for $180 and thought I would be throwing my money away but we were getting ready for a big trip to Norris Lake in Tennessee and I wanted to have something cool for our night rides. Needless to say I was blown away with the quality of the light as well as the ability to light up the water. I have a wake plate with a single cylinder in the middle so the light is partially blocked but it still does an awesome job of lighting up the water. I've attached a few pictures of it so you can see what mine looked like. I know there are a lot of options out there and this may not be the best option for under water lighting, but for me it has worked out great!!!! I did have a small issue but I was able to contact them and they quickly walked me thru the solution and I had them working within ten minutes of having them installed. If you are considering underwater lights I would highly recommend these! 22507225082250922510

Poison
07-16-2015, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the writeup. I've been looking at these as well.

Which model did you buy and what did switch did you wind up wiring it to?

JoelFett
07-16-2015, 02:27 PM
This is what I was looking at as well. Hate drilling, and the return to stock is pretty cool. Glad you put up real pics. Thank you!

drb59
07-16-2015, 02:45 PM
I had looked at these but was concerned that they would get in the way of the wakeplate. Can you show a picture of them out of the water? I too thought they would be a good addition to my boat.

Rugburn
07-16-2015, 04:16 PM
I was looking at the trim tab mounted version from this company. Very interested in photos of your install. Hurry up dude! ;)

Fastest1
07-16-2015, 09:35 PM
That has a great look to it. The people swimming look cool.

tgoody14
07-17-2015, 03:23 AM
Subscribed...

patrick232
07-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Looks like Sugar Hollow Marina. That's right by our condo at Norris

I need to get my lights wired up/

gpd005
07-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Looks like Sugar Hollow Marina. That's right by our condo at Norris

I need to get my lights wired up/

You are exactly right!!!! We stayed in a house on the other side of the bridge last week. Norris Lake is AWESOME!!!!

I will get pics of it out of the water tonight for everyone. I just wired it to the rear pole light so they come on with the navigation lights. I thought about putting them on a separate switch but was under a little bit of a time crunch and this was the easiest way to do it.

Rugburn
07-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Is it the configuration with 90 degree pipes or is it the "Y" configuration with two LED's?

drb59
07-17-2015, 01:33 PM
That makes sense to me. You need the nav lights on when you would want to use these anyways. Thanks for doing this.

You are exactly right!!!! We stayed in a house on the other side of the bridge last week. Norris Lake is AWESOME!!!!

I will get pics of it out of the water tonight for everyone. I just wired it to the rear pole light so they come on with the navigation lights. I thought about putting them on a separate switch but was under a little bit of a time crunch and this was the easiest way to do it.

gpd005
07-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Is it the configuration with 90 degree pipes or is it the "Y" configuration with two LED's?

It is the "Y" configuration one.
Here is the link to the one I bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-DOUBLE-LED-BOAT-DRAIN-PLUG-LIGHT-BUILT-DRAIN-PORT-40-WATTS-1800-LUMENS-/261670171157?vxp=mtr&hash=item3cecc1f215

several standard colors and extremely easy to install. Heck if I was still fishing a lot I would have one of these as well because the at the dock the fish were coming up to it like crazy!

blackcup
07-17-2015, 02:40 PM
It is the "Y" configuration one.
Here is the link to the one I bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-DOUBLE-LED-BOAT-DRAIN-PLUG-LIGHT-BUILT-DRAIN-PORT-40-WATTS-1800-LUMENS-/261670171157?vxp=mtr&hash=item3cecc1f215

several standard colors and extremely easy to install. Heck if I was still fishing a lot I would have one of these as well because the at the dock the fish were coming up to it like crazy!

Do you have any pix of this on your boat now? Looks tempting but wondering just how much it will actually light up

Rugburn
07-17-2015, 03:06 PM
How did you rotate it to thread in to your drain plug? Isnt the trim tab in the way of its rotation? Im literally waiting until I see that it works on my '11 LSV and Im ordering one today. Im just afraid to get it and I wont be able to thread it in to the hole. Make sense?

gpd005
07-17-2015, 04:44 PM
How did you rotate it to thread in to your drain plug? Isnt the trim tab in the way of its rotation? Im literally waiting until I see that it works on my '11 LSV and Im ordering one today. Im just afraid to get it and I wont be able to thread it in to the hole. Make sense?

I know exactly what your saying. I had to remove the bottom cylinder bolt so the wake plate just hung until I got this screwed in. Then once I got it lined up I was able to hook the wake plate cylinder back up.

Rugburn
07-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Genius!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patrick232
07-17-2015, 05:14 PM

Which house in Lakeside did you stay at. We know most of the owners. What did you think of the ramp? We are rebuilding it over the winter.

gpd005
07-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Which house in Lakeside did you stay at. We know most of the owners. What did you think of the ramp? We are rebuilding it over the winter.

We stayed at the Woody Hayes house. It was very nice and we really enjoyed our stay there. A few people didn't care for the steps but that just made me want to stay on the lake all day so i didn't have to climb all 109 of them to get back to the kitchen. As for the boat ramp there in the neighborhood, it was a little sketchy i thought. The ramp was nice but the switch backs getting to the ramp after the gravel had just been washed down on the ramp made it a little nerve racking. But it worked for us and it was nice having it so close.

gpd005
07-18-2015, 09:22 AM
2252922530Here a couple pics I took this morning.

drb59
07-19-2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the pictures.

bbeau15
07-29-2015, 04:11 PM
how did you go about wiring it in were you able to tie into an existing switch or did you have to add a switch
thanks in advance