PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Potentially new owner!

Lawn Dart
07-14-2015, 05:24 PM
Lately, I've been hearing the call of the water... I used to ski and kneeboard as a kid, scuba dive as an adult, etc. Anyhoo, I've been spending way too much time at marinas, drinking and watching others on boats have more fun.

So, I started researching a ski/wakeboard/kneeboard/tubing boat... and arrived at Tige. The RZR looks awesome, does everything I want it to do. Then I saw the price. Then I saw the horror stories on the owners' forum. Not good. Tige is out.

In my dismay, I started looking around for something not nearly as troublesome, and found a 2006 Moomba LS w/ 5.7L Indmar. Direct Drive. Looks like it has around 280 hours.

As a newb, I'm still learning in leaps and bounds, and I'm more or less an inquisitive idiot at this point. How would a used boat like this fare as a "beginner boat", and what would one expect to pay for such an item? I've done price research, but like a car, used boat prices seem to be all over the map for the uninitiated. If I were to look as this, what sorts of things would I need to look for? (I know a few obvious things - cracks in the hull, water trapped under the engine, basic engine items like on a car) What else am I missing or should I know?

Thanks,

Dart

KG's Supra24
07-14-2015, 05:35 PM
Unless you plan to use the boat for slalom ... you will want to sell the LS within a year for a v-drive boat.

direct drive, like the LS

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgTF7KA3ClyBun3LRLls6wFhH4QvXJu 16p9Xk9Mwe87kivULvikg

v drive boat ... more user friendly interior

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRao1aZwyNJGb997Qst5JhuNXT5FpBpp lxgXwjodEUrKSLvsIxU

Lawn Dart
07-14-2015, 05:40 PM
I knew that would be a catch. Trade it in in a year? Maybe, maybe not. I'd prefer a V-drive, but I'm about hip-deep into this endeavour, and what I'm seeing is that prices vary wildly by only a couple of buzzwords, and that seems to be one of them. :/

KG's Supra24
07-14-2015, 06:16 PM
That is certainly a price factor. What budget do you have in mind? How many people do you plan to have on the boat for a normal weekend?

If looking direct drive. Supra has a lot to offer at a good price point in their older boats, in addition to the Moomba you mentioned above.

KG's Supra24
07-14-2015, 06:18 PM
Also, what area are you in?

There is a 2002 Supra v-drive near me that is sub 20k. It made me do a double take.

Lawn Dart
07-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Middle TN.

I don't have a range right now other than "less than a new Mercedes" LOL. Almost everything I've seen is $42K or higher, used. Or it has lots of hours on it, or some other problem... I didn't think boats held their value that well....

There's so many "new" boats out there at 65-80K, where are they going? I'm a little shocked that there aren't more deals to be had. Maybe I haven't looked long enough.

snyderaaron
07-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Are you looking into surfing as well? I would definetely look into a V drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patrick232
07-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Look around there are some new 2014 leftover Mojo and Mondo boats that can be purchased in the high $40k to mid $50k
Check out Aqua Marine in Indiana, not too far from middle TN or Denny Marine by Cumberland. What part of middle TN? I own a small plastics company in Cookeville.

wolfeman131
07-14-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm more or less an inquisitive idiot at this point.

Oh, you're going to get along just fine here . . .

jmb
07-14-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm going to interject here and probably step on some toes but I have yet to want to get rid of my dd for a v-drive after 10 years. It does all I need it to do and when I want to haul a@#, it does. Sometimes I dont think a dd gets a fair shake on here. Just my opinion

zabooda
07-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Tell those sellers you are looking to buy a boat at a reasonable price not pay off all of their loan.

JesseC
07-14-2015, 09:26 PM
There are some good boats out there for the low 20s. Here is the boat that I just traded in. http://www.skiersmarine.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=1379012&p=1&make=moomba&s=Year&d=A&fr=xAllInventory

deerfield
07-14-2015, 09:49 PM
Dart - I agree with Jack's assessment that DD is a versatile boat. Ski/wakeboard/kneeboard/tube are a blast behind the Moomba Outback. Plenty of room for seven or eight people. Boat has less freeboard (hull above the water line), so boat is susceptible to water over the bow in rougher water. But a good skipper makes the difference. I think the last year Moomba made a direct drive was 2014 or 2013. Please consider a DD. Maybe visit a dealer for a test drive so you can compare to the v-drive. Had my DD since 2007 and would not trade it for a v-drive. - Stuart

I'm going to interject here and probably step on some toes but I have yet to want to get rid of my dd for a v-drive after 10 years. It does all I need it to do and when I want to haul a@#, it does. Sometimes I dont think a dd gets a fair shake on here. Just my opinion

kpanderson07
07-15-2015, 09:59 AM
I just picked up a leftover 2014 Outback V for what I think is a great deal. I got it at Erwin Marine in Valpo IN. They have two more of these left at just over 42K.

ckracing
07-15-2015, 09:54 PM
Where's the sub $20k Supra v-drive. Inquiring minds want to know (me)...

jmvotto
07-15-2015, 11:33 PM
There are some good boats out there for the low 20s. Here is the boat that I just traded in. http://www.skiersmarine.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=1379012&p=1&make=moomba&s=Year&d=A&fr=xAllInventory

Is that new craz in your driveway yet?

JesseC
07-15-2015, 11:43 PM
Is that new craz in your driveway yet?

I picked up a 2015 Mondo and love it. The Craz is too big to fit in my basement.

KG's Supra24
07-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Where's the sub $20k Supra v-drive. Inquiring minds want to know (me)...

Pm sent

A DD can function as an all purpose but I'll hold tight to the v drive being more versatile, especially with a family (if spending the day on the water). 7 or 8 comfortable? That's direct drive crazy. I don't want more than 8 on my 24' 102" beam boat, lol.

Everyone uses the lake differently, though. Also, I assume most looking towards inboards want surfability.

At a 40k budget, id buy dusty2221's boat :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jmvotto
07-16-2015, 12:11 AM
I picked up a 2015 Mondo and love it. The Craz is too big to fit in my basement.

Nice my neighbor bought one too and they love theirs.

Lawn Dart
07-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Nice! This looks like a good beginner boat... Is that your exact boat, or just one like it?

It's about the right price range. I guess I need to do some research to figure out what's a good price for that.

feelingmoody
07-17-2015, 08:15 AM

Jesse - dropped by to check out your boat yesterday after seeing SM's online ad and must give you props on a beautifully kept boat. There was another cat looking it over after I left, but if it's still there today I'm thinking I'll go make them an offer at lunch time.