PDA

View Full Version : 2004 XLV w/ Electrical Issues

DDL
07-13-2015, 06:48 PM
Hi all, I've been through the repair thread and read most of the electrical issue posts. Some ideas I've already tried but here's my ongoing and now "new" issue.

At the end of last season I had no bilge and no heater. At the start of this season I had both batteries replaced. I now have bilge back, but the heater still doesn't work and now the speedo and fuel guage don't work.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
DDL

trayson
07-14-2015, 12:55 AM
I always tell people to check their grounds. Boat builders are notorious for building helms with really crappy grounds where their daisy chained one on top of the other. Also corrosion will happen and some people even get crappy grounds from the neg of the battery to the block.

Start with where you do have power and work your way to the things that aren't working.

Also, measure the voltage at your battery. Then measure your voltage father away like at your gauges or heater or even the fuses. If there's a significant voltage drop, you've got extra resistance in the circuit and you're not getting the full amount of juice to your stuff.

DDL
07-14-2015, 05:00 PM
I always tell people to check their grounds. Boat builders are notorious for building helms with really crappy grounds where their daisy chained one on top of the other. Also corrosion will happen and some people even get crappy grounds from the neg of the battery to the block.

Start with where you do have power and work your way to the things that aren't working.

Also, measure the voltage at your battery. Then measure your voltage father away like at your gauges or heater or even the fuses. If there's a significant voltage drop, you've got extra resistance in the circuit and you're not getting the full amount of juice to your stuff.

Thanks Trayson, I will start at the batteries and check the grounds and connections and work back from there. It has to be a loose or bad connection to be working one trip and then not the next.

I appreciate the help and advice.

DDL

trayson
07-14-2015, 05:07 PM
I figure between a test light and a multimeter that can measure voltage, resistance, and continuity; there's pretty much nothing you shouldn't be able to figure out.