PDA

View Full Version : Gravity 3 Ballast System Parts

mjr119
07-13-2015, 09:30 AM
So my ballast has been filling up on it's own while underway. The previous owner of my boat removed the strainer, so im sure some trash is hung in the valves.

I usually fill my ballast up while my boat is sitting at my dock, which has about 4ft of water right now, so Im sure that caused it.

Anyways, I want to add a strainer and replace the sprinkler valves, can someone link me to the parts? I think I am confused on the difference between a sprinkler valve and the solenoids.

Will adding the strainer slow down my fill times? I know most people hate the stock system with 1 fill pump, but I actually dont mind it the way it is now. I just fill 1 bag at the time, which is okay because I am only surfing. But I would prefer not to slow it down any more.

Could the valves be cleaned? Or will replacing them be my only option?

Thanks all! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

kaneboats
07-13-2015, 09:37 AM
You can clean them. If you replace them go with the Irritrol 700 series. Much better. The solenoid sits on top of the valve and opens the valve when activated. I still have two sprinkler valves in my system for my center bag and my under seat bag. I added a second Rule pump so they fill faster. On the port side where I run a 750 in the rear I added an additional thru hull and two more Tsunami 1200 pumps with check valves so I can fill in about 6 min. I kept the original empty pumps for the two smaller bags and use a Tsunami 1200 to empty the 750 bag.

trayson
07-14-2015, 01:05 AM
Many of us use the terms "solenoid" and "sprinkler valve" interchangably.

Technically the solenoid is the black gizmo on top. the green part is the valve. But either one tends to be used to refer to the whole thing. (because people will say "sprinkler valve" and be referring to the sprinkler valve/solenoid assembly. and vise versa.

You don't buy them separate anyway, you buy them as one assembly, so pick whatever term you really want to use.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/046878/046878571006lg.jpg

kaneboats
07-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Mickey, I think I have a couple of sprinkler valves in my boat box in the garage. You can have them for shipping. PM me if you are interested and I'll see how many are there.

jmvotto
07-14-2015, 09:32 AM
bet there is a water strainer or two lying around for the ballast systems ,

see if this is available
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?25856-Is-there-any-value-in-the-old-ballast-pumps&highlight=leftover+parts

I did the double fill pumps like Kane did on the 07 boat and it help out with fill times.

mjr119
07-14-2015, 10:11 AM
Kane pulled thru for me on the valves, thanks a lot, Pat!

As far as the strainer, mine has been removed and it just has a larger piece of rubber hose connecting it now. I just sent 996Scott a PM to see if he still has the strainer.

Thanks everyone!

kaneboats
07-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Pretty sure I gave my strainer away a couple years back. My water is very clean on my river and on the lakes where I run.

mjr119
07-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Did you remove it before you upgraded? If not, did you notice a change in fill times after removing it?

kaneboats
07-14-2015, 10:59 AM
I did it all at once. At least for the first upgrade. I built a new manifold that had 2 inlets instead of just 1. Then I put a "T" on the thru hull and added a second Rule pump to supply the manifold. This is what my manifold looked like at that time: