PDA

View Full Version : Rope-to-Pylon Attachment

TimGT3
06-10-2006, 04:25 PM
What is your method of choice for attaching the rope to the ski pylon? Now that I've hit 7 hours, I'm free to pull (put load on engine) and tomorrow morning, I'm going to make my first runs behind my Outback. This is my first experience with the pylon and I'm not sure which is the most effective way to attach the rope.

Thanks,

Tim

06-10-2006, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by TimGT3
What is your method of choice for attaching the rope to the ski pylon? Now that I've hit 7 hours, I'm free to pull (put load on engine) and tomorrow morning, I'm going to make my first runs behind my Outback. This is my first experience with the pylon and I'm not sure which is the most effective way to attach the rope.

Thanks,

Tim

Depends...
Since it doesnt have a swivel, you can wear your rope out if tis too tight.
That being said, I normally double loop over my pylon for skiers, and single for fast slalom.
I also wet my rope before a run to help keep the rope cool.

On the tower, it has a swivel, so I tie off pretty tight there.

JoeTechie
06-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Push a small amount of line throgh the loop in the end of the rope. Put that around the ski pole, and pull tight - you made a slip loop, that stays tight, and removes easily.

Simple as that.

Enjoy the boat - start slowly and be safe - you will never look back!

-Joe

BensonWdby
06-12-2006, 11:52 PM
I have used a pylon for over 20 years and up until a couple of years I always did what Joe T. recomends.

However, I recently read somewhere, I think on a mesage board, that it is 'better' to put the loop around the pylon and then twist it and loop over again.

I have started doing that for my base connections, but when we start taking off rope we go back to the quick slip loop method Joe mentions.

Honestly I have not noticed any difference so I don't know what the big deal is.

The one thing you do NOT want to do is just place the loop end over the pylon like you might do over a dock post.

Dave

BensonWdby
06-12-2006, 11:55 PM
Regarding wakeboard rope - this thin gauge poly-prop rope does not like the slip knot method of attaching, at least not the one we have. When we did that up on the tower it kind of ruined the rope. In this case I think we ended up doing exactly what I suggest you not do with a conventional rope, just slip it over.

YellowMoomba0
06-13-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree, do not simply place the loop over the pylon... i had a friend pulling me get careless and do this. The rope slipped to the floor and I did not notice it until my cut through the gates when the rope was trapped around the motor box... I stopped pulling and he got off track... nothing major happened but it could have been ugly. Make a double loop or like Joe says and you will be fine.

Tiltboy
06-19-2006, 09:38 PM
So, Benson, are you saying just put the loop over the tower attachment, without the slipknot? Did it bind when you made the loop, or what?

BensonWdby
06-22-2006, 08:11 AM
It's been a while, as my son has kind of converted to slalom. but If I recall, the Poly-prop line started to shred the 'Y' in the loop when we used the slip knot.