PDA

View Full Version : SCREWED by the Dealer

mobius05ted
06-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Purchased a new 05 Mobius LSV from a dealer in Antioch, CA in August 05. Took it in for the 20 hour service. 20 hours later the engine failed and needed to be replace at the cost of about $8000. The cause of the failure was the oil filter was apparently rubbing against a bracket and wore a hole in the filter leaking all the oil out. Indmar is not going to cover even though this bracket was redesigned so this would not happen to other boats. The dealer takes no responsibility even though they were the last ones in the engine compartment. So the boat sits at the dealer for over a month now and I am stuck with the outrageous bill. Sometimes I think you get what you pay for and being a previous Mastercraft owner for 13 years their service as immaculent. PLEASE HELP

JoeTechie
06-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Call or wriite Skiers Choice first. Give them the option of trying to resolve this. People have had bad things happen to ALL brands of boats - give the company the chance to make it right. SC has been very good about trying to make things right if they can. There are MANY stories on this board about this.

Your engine/boat is still under waranty so that has to count for something. If they tell you their hands are tied, then get an attorney and have them take THE DEALER to court, using the indmar change as evidence of pre-existing knowledge of a problem.

I do have to ask though - did your oil pressure not go to zero for a while ? Did you never notice this ?

Good luck,

-Joe

qb12
06-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Joe, You whole post was excellent.

If you go and read all the other boat messege boards you will quickly see that these things happen. As Joe said if it were me I would be making the call to SC.

However and I am not trying to come down on you in your time of need, but how often to you check you oil. I check it as soon as it warms up and again at the end of the day and I always watch my oil pressure and temp gauge.

Mobiusted05, I do wish you the best with this and I am pretty sure it will turn out all well.

db

three6ty
06-10-2006, 11:18 AM
MObius.
Dont answer any of these guys questions here. You will only hurt yourself by taking about this on this forum.

Keep all of your answers to yourself and admit nothing!!!!!

SKiers Choice or Indmar need to take care of this.
Definately hire a lawyer and get on it.

JoeTechie
06-10-2006, 01:24 PM
LOL,

I am around them all day and still, I do not think like them. :)

three6t is correct - anything you say here can hurt you later. We are all just trying to be friendly and inquire in case our own boats are in peril, so it is our own curiosity that makes us ask... but if you decide to go to court - I do not want to be called as a hostile witness.

Come back once you had a chat w/ SC, and if they decide to take care of it - make sure to tell all your friends they do what is right - if it goes to court, and you do not have a gag order - come back and tell us how it went.

Best wishes,

J

smokedog2
06-11-2006, 08:59 PM
20 hours? Wear a hole in the oil filter? If this is all true SC will buy you a new motor. Something is way wrong. I have that boat one of the first in 05. I'm going to go look cus I'm real curious how you vibrate enough to put a hole in an oil filter – ever. Don’t these boat have a audible alarm for engine heat? I changed at 20 and at 100 hours. The dealer would have said something if the exterior of the filter was being chewed up.

Only 10 hours this weekend- but I will look next weekend.

SD2

mobius05ted
06-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Thanks everyone for your support and advice, greatly appreciated. It is just frustrating that a boat with 50 hours on it can develope an oil leak and cause engine damage and not be covered. It was just serviced 20 hours earlier.....what a joke this is.

radryan
06-15-2006, 12:16 PM
My eyes are opened. I know that the filter is tight to the oil bracket because I can barely get a filter wrench around the filter when removing and replacing it.

Also, I don’t check the oil every time I go out but will start trying to more now that I have heard this.

Any word on a replacement part? Is there a replacement bracket that I can buy that will avoid even the chance that this will happen?

zabooda
06-15-2006, 12:43 PM
It is unfortunate for Ted to have this problem and he should go directly to Skiers Choice to get the problem resolved. I think Brian Raymond needs to chime in on this one and let people know what boats are affected and the fix otherwise people will be concerned that the problem affects their boat and either swamp the SC phone lines or this website.

06-15-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm sure if there is more general problem than this one instance - we will get informed once they know. And I can't imagine there being enough people here to "swamp" anything. ;)

-J

06-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm sure if there is more general problem than this one instance - we will get informed once they know more.

And I can't imagine there being enough people here to "swamp" anything. ;)

-J

JoeTechie
06-15-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm sure if there is more general problem than this one instance - we will get informed once they know more.

And I can't imagine there being enough people here to "swamp" anything. ;)

-Joe

mattva65
06-15-2006, 09:24 PM
Ed there's 14. I just don't talk alot. But I faithfully read the post everyday at least three or four times a day.