PDA

View Full Version : Oil change issues

k42
07-06-2015, 08:39 AM
I read the forum on oil changes and decided to do the first 20 hour oil change myself. I bought the oil pump from Overton's as suggested. I was only able to suck about 2 quarts out of the engine. It seems like the pick up hose is too short. It's about 32 inches long. Does anyone have any input on this? Thanks

wolfeman131
07-06-2015, 08:42 AM
don't pull from the dipstick tube. use the hose that comes directly off the bottom of the oil pan. it should be clipped to a bracket on the engine.

mjr119
07-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Make sure the engine is at full operating temperature.

k42
07-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Will I need to pump it out or is it a gravity drain?

Fastest1
07-06-2015, 09:12 AM
It is a gravity drain. But you could assist it with the pump possibly.

mjr119
07-06-2015, 09:25 AM
Gravity is slow too. Just find the drain hose. Take off the cap. Feed the siphon hose in as far as you can. Then pump until you cant get any more oil out.

Side note... I leave the drain hose above the manifolds while siphoning. That was oil doesnt drain out of the hose around the siphon hose.

k42
07-06-2015, 09:41 AM
That sounds pretty easy. Thanks for the info. About how long is the drain hose and what is the ID?

mjr119
07-06-2015, 11:29 AM
My drain hose will barely extend up to where the fuel rail is. So from there to the lowest point of the oil pan. It is about 3/8" ID hose. Looks like normal black rubber hose with a shiney brass cap on the end of it.

cornrickey
07-06-2015, 12:30 PM
This is what I do. Extend the factory house with some clear vinyl hose. Take a plastic container container and drill a hole in the top so the hose fits tight and feed it in almost to the bottom . Take your shop vacation and put the hose on the original opening of the container and turn it on. I let it run for about 10 minutes, draws out all the oil no matter what temp.

DOCDRS
07-07-2015, 08:28 PM
This is what I do. Extend the factory house with some clear vinyl hose. Take a plastic container container and drill a hole in the top so the hose fits tight and feed it in almost to the bottom . Take your shop vacation and put the hose on the original opening of the container and turn it on. I let it run for about 10 minutes, draws out all the oil no matter what temp.

Nice Macgyver

kaneboats
07-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Yeah, he's really good. Understands physics and stuff. Like it. I had my buddy's Mercruiser here for a few days. I unclipped his drain hose and ran it out through the drain plug hole. Let it run for about 48 hrs. and got over 5 qts. out. Put a new filter and some new oil in it. Looked like it had never been done before. We'll see if she runs after he gets his new cooling parts. Just trying to get another guy out on the water pulling tubes. :( His lower unit is still laying on my garage floor while we wait for parts. Oh well.

cornrickey
07-08-2015, 01:13 AM
I let mine drain all winter and got 2quarts.

brain_rinse
07-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Got pics? I'm not really following but it sounds like an interesting solution.

DOCDRS
07-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Got pics? I'm not really following but it sounds like an interesting solution.

I had to read it twice to figure how he did it , the vacation is what confused me, but I figured that he must have a really really really nice shop for that.

brain_rinse
07-08-2015, 10:01 PM
I had to read it twice to figure how he did it , the vacation is what confused me, but I figured that he must have a really really really nice shop for that.
Well he does have a factory house so... :)

kaneboats
07-08-2015, 10:51 PM
See, I understood the shop "vacation" because I have a wife and 6 kids. When you turn on the shop vac it's like taking a vacation because you can't hear anything. Keep that in mind and it makes perfect senses. :)

MJHSupra
07-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Once I get off the lake and put the boat in the driveway,

I use a clear hose attached to the bottom oil drain hose out the back of the boat,

I bought a 12v sprayer pump from Northern Tool,

Almost all is out in a few mins.

My 2nd version of this included extra long wires to the battery with a on/off switch close to the pump.

Works well.
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jelmhorst
07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Any advice for those that change the oil on the water? Last year when I changed the oil myself for the first time the 12v Jabsco flat tank pumped the oil out of the dipstick without issue and couldn't have been more pleased. Yesterday I attempted the same process and for whatever reason the plastic tube got stuck in the dipstick channel and after several minutes, even more choice words, a lot of pulling [just waiting to have it come apart and drop back into the reservoir and really cause an issue] was able to get it out. I thought I remember reading a similar encounter a few weeks or months back from another member but maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Anyone recommend an idiot proof solution/product for the mechanically declined? Much appreciated.

mcdye
07-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Any advice for those that change the oil on the water? Last year when I changed the oil myself for the first time the 12v Jabsco flat tank pumped the oil out of the dipstick without issue and couldn't have been more pleased. Yesterday I attempted the same process and for whatever reason the plastic tube got stuck in the dipstick channel and after several minutes, even more choice words, a lot of pulling [just waiting to have it come apart and drop back into the reservoir and really cause an issue] was able to get it out. I thought I remember reading a similar encounter a few weeks or months back from another member but maybe I'm just doing it wrong. Anyone recommend an idiot proof solution/product for the mechanically declined? Much appreciated.

Use the hose that is connected the bottom of the oil pan... it is probably laying around the bilge. I only use the thin tube for the transmission and the vdrive.

jelmhorst
07-31-2015, 08:06 PM
Noob question, do you all use a simple oil catch pan from walmart to collect it from the bottom? How long should one expect for the gravity to take to empty [at full temp], overnight?

Unrelated and embarrasing question #2, can someone detail for me what 'bumping' the engine is? So it's not turning it on, so what then?

Thanks for the guidance.

DOCDRS
08-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Noob question, do you all use a simple oil catch pan from walmart to collect it from the bottom? How long should one expect for the gravity to take to empty [at full temp], overnight?

Unrelated and embarrasing question #2, can someone detail for me what 'bumping' the engine is? So it's not turning it on, so what then?

Thanks for the guidance.

Bumping the engine is when you bump into it with your knee, elbow, fore head, or other sensitive part causing you to bump (or blurt) out a few choice derogatory words as your disgusted with your stupidity in causing an ouchy

more seriously , the way to do it is to push the neutral retention button ( at pivot point on throtttle lever) and place throttle at wide open ( go fast) position, or you could remove the safety lanyard. (This is the flooded engine mode and no fuel will be dumped in thru injectors) Now you can turn the key to start the engine for a second or more allowing the starter to turn the motor with out fear of starting the engine. (Good when fogging cylinders). ( Note if you have carb and the motor was flooded it may start briefly)