PDA

View Full Version : goofy setup on 2015 mondo

callynoah
07-05-2015, 01:18 AM
Hi all, had our 2015 mondo out for our 1st surf today, we have the auto flow surf tabs with the surf edition(2300 lb) factory ballasts. The regular wave seemed really nice. We had all bags full and wake plate at 50% speed 9.8mph for regular(2adults and 3 teenagers in the boat) and my kids got up ready way and had no problem finding the sweet spot of the surf. I surf goofy and the surf was no where near the same, the wave was not clean, lots of wash and not much of a sweet spot as it was hard to find and the wave was also short . We had the same setup for both sides other than moving the surf tab, moving people to the starboard side and running at 10mph. Its not an option to add any extra ballast right now and was wondering if people have had luck setting up a factory surf edition mondo for goofy surf. Any tips would be great as my dealer said with out any changes to the boat we would have a good clean long wave on both sides but it did not happen on the goofy side.

Thanks,
Kevin

BrettLee3232
07-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Hi Kevin, I have the same boat and same issue. I've tried adjusting the Auto Flow as well to no avail. Luckily for me I only have 2 people surf goofy but I do want to find a solution ASAP. It's embarrassing how white washed the wave is on a brand new boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moombers
07-05-2015, 12:42 PM
Full ballast on goofy side. None in port side. Surf tab setting 2. Front ballast full. Should help

mark540
07-05-2015, 11:15 PM
I run a little more ballast, but my setup is 1100 in the starboard, about 250 in the port and about 750 or so in the front. Autoflow at 100% to surf goofy. Wave is money. I am 280lbs and ride a IS red woody and can go until I am tired, this includes cutting into the wave and such, not just sitting back crusing. I moved my pumps and removed the locker rear carpeted dividers to get the 1100's in there, but i can fill them full, without moving pumps and such, I would think 750 to 900 lb would be max. Goofy is always more difficult because of prop rotation. Just got back from TNorris Lake and spent quit a bit of time dialing it in.

mark540
07-05-2015, 11:20 PM
Oh and i think you can get a clean wake with the 650's, but you can only fill that side and I would think go light in the front to get a wave with push. Long on the goofy side is relevant I guess, if you are a 100 lb 11 year old like my son then it is long, me not so much. I have surfed regular and the boat gets a huge clean wave with much less weight.

callynoah
07-06-2015, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the tips but having to adjust the weight in the port ballast kind of makes the auto surf useless. The selling feature of most of these boats with surf tabs is to be able to change waves on the fly so I would like to find a set up for a surfable wave without having to always stop and drain ballasts. Most of the new boats with these features can do this and that is why I got the auto flow for the mondo so I will be disappointed in the mondo if I cant achieve this as I am the only on that surfs goofy in our family and it is a pain to fill/drain all the time.

mark540
07-06-2015, 07:46 AM
I can surf both sides with the setup above, every new boat on the market including the $135k G23 needs much more ballast on the starboard side to clean the goofy wave. I have been behind a new G23, Malibu VLX, Tige, RZR and RZ2 and everyone of these boats has to run more weight on the goofy side to get a comparable wave, even with their surf systems, purely physics of prop rotation. Not sure if you have tried it, but switching sides and running heel side against the wave is extremely difficult, I can understand having the system for quick rider changes, but for the vast majority switching sides while riding is not viable.

Did you demo the boat before you bought it? Not all, but most salesmen will tell you exactly what you want to hear. Ill tell you 650 is not enough, you need more. Run at least double on the starboard side, than on the port. Some will say you need more weight up front, but with the 1000 lbs from the factory you can surf, more weight will lengthen the pocket, but will also hurt push as well. I havent done it yet, but i think the regular side wave might be surfable with the autoflow and no weight.

Flee27
07-06-2015, 08:22 AM
We have a 2014 Mojo and like most people have the same scenario with a few goofy riders mixed in with the regular riders. From all the reading I have done and opinions from people that know a lot more than I do about surfing it seems the surf systems are aids and not 100% fixes. Every person I have talked to, with many different brands say the same thing. It takes more ballast then the OE provides and you will have to deal with filling/emptying ballast to achieve your best surfing wake. Not dogging the sales people but they are just that, sales people, and to some degree they all tell you what you want to here. I think it is partly them "telling you what you want to hear" and partly us as optimistic buyers hearing what we want to hear.

We have the manual flow system on ours and have upgraded to ballast to 1100s in the rear and added the 750lb internal bow ballast. This definitely made a huge difference. We are still playing with the wake but it is getting better. Like others say, we find the best goofy wake to be with listing and lots of bow weight. For goofy we are at 1100 surf side, about 200-300 non surf side, 1250 front. No wake plate to maybe 1/4 plate depending on how many people are in the boat. We have found that we run a little faster than what I hear others running. We normally run 11.4-11.6. We also have found the regular wave better with then non surf side a little less full then the surf side-maybe 80% full.

There always seems to be some kids that want a swim break and we use this time to fill and empty ballast. You are at the lake with your friends and family, just relax and enjoy. Hope you find a setting/system that works for you and you get lots of joy and fun from your boat.

I look forward to learning more as people respond. Thanks to everyone for the knowledge you have provided so far.

Foster

Hope you find a setting that makes you happy.

Beejwest
07-07-2015, 09:40 AM
I can surf both sides with the setup above, every new boat on the market including the $135k G23 needs much more ballast on the starboard side to clean the goofy wave. I have been behind a new G23, Malibu VLX, Tige, RZR and RZ2 and everyone of these boats has to run more weight on the goofy side to get a comparable wave, even with their surf systems, purely physics of prop rotation. Not sure if you have tried it, but switching sides and running heel side against the wave is extremely difficult, I can understand having the system for quick rider changes, but for the vast majority switching sides while riding is not viable.

Did you demo the boat before you bought it? Not all, but most salesmen will tell you exactly what you want to hear. Ill tell you 650 is not enough, you need more. Run at least double on the starboard side, than on the port. Some will say you need more weight up front, but with the 1000 lbs from the factory you can surf, more weight will lengthen the pocket, but will also hurt push as well. I havent done it yet, but i think the regular side wave might be surfable with the autoflow and no weight.

I disagree. I surf behind a G21 as much as my '07 LSV. We all ride all four positions (heel and toe, goody and regular) and do running switches and wake to wake transfers. I'd say the goofy wake is almost identical to the regular, equally weighted. I personally don't think there is a boat that can throw a better wake right now. I've surfed LSV, VLX's, G21/23, and Tigé's.

wolfeman131
07-07-2015, 02:40 PM
I personally don't think there is a boat that can throw a better wake right now. I've surfed LSV, VLX's, G21/23, and Tigé's.

you need to get out on some more boats. . . .

JoelFett
07-07-2015, 03:53 PM
you need to get out on some more boats. . . .

This SC400 had the best wave I've seen yet, and my buddy likes to slam his G25. Also did a ronix demo on the X46, still killed it. Great price too. SC dropped the dealership so it's clearance.

http://www.ccmarine.com/Boat-For-Sale/10528/2015-Supra-SC-400/

But the boat was still leaning a bit. Not as bad as my LSV needs to, but I'd say 60/40 weight split for a goofy wave...

blackcup
07-11-2015, 10:40 PM
I have a '14 Mojo ... 900lbs in the rears (goofy side maxed ... reg side is about 50% full), 650 up front (full) plus the stock 500 in the middle. When we ride goofy I have a 580LB bag on the seat. Wake plate on 2nd setting and the wave is a beaut. Super clean and long.