PDA

View Full Version : Perko/Subwoofer Question

mjr119
07-01-2015, 04:52 PM
So I am thinking about my perko switch, it is mounted next to my sub box, will the vibrations affect it at all?

Are there any soldered connections inside of a perko switch? If not I think it would be okay. Obviously it probably wont cause any issues but I am thinking about longevity.

David Analog
07-01-2015, 06:33 PM
I don't see an issue. Certainly not with the interior contacts.
There is lots of shock and vibration in a towboat beyond the subwoofer.
The Perko should have no more than three HD terminations on the common (output) post. These HD cables can be strain relieved to keep them from moving around and the Perko can be slightly spaced off any surface in order to decouple it a little. Use lock washers and you're set.

What bothers me is using a subwoofer within the port side observers locker. I'd rather have it under the drivers helm even if I had to downsize the subwoofer a bit.

mjr119
07-01-2015, 09:25 PM
What is the issue with having a sub under the glove box?

MLA
07-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Closing the locker is like cutting the wattage in half. You loose the musical aspects of the woofer and they become a boat shaker, not a bass maker. I much prefer to do a custom enclosure under the helm thats either direct radiating into the cabin or side firing to the hull but plenty to space to radiate.

This woofer came out of the back locker and into a new custom enclosure under the helm. Amp stayed the same but it made a world of difference for the entire system.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/mikesliquidaudio/PC020212_zpsgqvhpr45.jpg (http://s12.photobucket.com/user/mikesliquidaudio/media/PC020212_zpsgqvhpr45.jpg.html)

mjr119
07-02-2015, 08:32 AM
Is that a sealed box or just a flat piece of wood?

David Analog
07-02-2015, 09:23 AM
That would be a cover façade that conceals the sub enclosure.
You can't have just a flat panel because a) that type of woofer is dependent on the air spring of the sealed enclosure for damping and control, and b) even with an infinite baffle woofer (which it is not) you need total front to rear acoustic isolation since front and rear radiation are polar opposites. Allowed to meet, they cancel. Not that factory hasn't attempted this. But the results were awful.

mjr119
07-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I will look into moving my sub under the help when I have a chance to upgrade it.

MLA
07-02-2015, 08:08 PM
David knows exactly whats back there. There is a custom sealed enclosure back there thats built to last in the marine environment. That facade is HDPE covered with marine carpet. its really just for cosmetics. He not only got a better sounding system with not equipment change, but also got some storage back.