PDA

View Full Version : Stock Stereo Setup

exige
06-08-2006, 05:33 PM
I'm about to buy a new Mobius LSV, but I have concerns about the stock stereo. Most important to me is the head unit. I'm going to be hooking up an iPod, and when I saw the stock Kenwood in the dealer's boat, I wasn't impressed at all. Does it have a built-in amp or anything similar? I'm looking to upgrade to an Alpine CDA-9857, which has a 200-watt built-in MOSFET amp and auxillary connection specifically built for an iPod, not to mention Alpine quality and a very nice Biolite display.

So what are your opinions on the stock head unit, and for those who have upgraded to from the stock one, how big of a difference did it make in terms of sound quality? Also, what exact model did you upgrade to?

Lastly, for $400 the amp seems extremely expensive. How many watts does it put out, and what quality do you guys think it is? I'm keeping the stock Kenwood speakers and eventually I'll be installing a sub.

Quick replies are appreciated as I have to take my option list to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks.

Add-on: Does the Kenwood head unit cost an extra $550? That's the dealer wants to charge me. What else comes with it? Thanks.

three6ty
06-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Get your stereo done by an outside installer. Dont even get a stereo from the Dealer. Not that they dont do a good job , but that they offer very little in upgrades and they are expensive. The only reason to get the stock deck and speakers is to get the speakers and deck factory wired. This is easy to do aftermarket though. Here is a list of my stereo . 2-12" Kicker CVR comp subs. 6- Polk MOMO MMC6500 sin boat speakers. 1- 2 channel Kicker Amp (subs),
1-4 channel Kicker Amp ( (in boat speakers) 2 Tower Speakers. 2 Boxes bulit and installed , all wireing, amp rack , Kenwood X790 Deck with Ipod Interface. Everything installed. All for only $1700. Sounds great and super load and clear.

JoeTechie
06-09-2006, 12:12 AM
The stock stereo add-on is $395 - for that you get a head unit w/ built-in amp, 6 water resistant coax speakers, and the factory install of all the above. That is CHEAP! The parts alone are more than that at discount internet prices.

You cannot compare internal amps and external amps. The two are very different. There is a reason that external amps are so large and still only have 200-400 watts, when internal amps are tiny and still get rated at over 200 watts sometimes. Bah! Physics cannot be toiled with. You cannot get the current in a built-in amp that you can in an external one. If you want to add a sub - there is no possible way for an internal amp to do that job worth a crap. Good parts cost money. Look at the Alpine head unit you want - good stuff costs $. The $1700 for the complete install above is not beyond the norm if you do it right.

Comes down to getting a reasonable stereo for near nothing - or spending a lot more for real quality.

Good luck w/ your purchase.
Make sure you come back and announce when you get your new toy delivered!

-Joe

exige
06-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Wow, didn't realize what I was getting myself into lol.

Does anyone know if there's a harness to upgrade the head unit with? I don't want to splice wires...

Smrtz
06-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Each manufacturer has its own wireing harness if you are changing manufacturers you have to splice in the new harness

exige
06-09-2006, 02:35 PM
So I would need to buy a Kenwood to not have to splice wires?

Smrtz
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM
that is correct!

exige
06-10-2006, 12:55 AM
I'm still not understanding the "stock stereo add-on." Stock and add-on in the same phrase isn't making any sense to me. So let's put it this way. If I don't put down the $550 for the "AM/FM Radio with CD and Sirius Capability," then do I not receive a head unit, or do I not receive a head unit and 6 coaxial speakers? I have more questions, but I'll wait til I get a reply on this so I can understand it one step at a time.

Once again lol, main question: If I don't put down the $550 for the "AM/FM Radio with CD and Sirius Capability," then do I not receive a head unit, or do I not receive a head unit and 6 coaxial speakers?

Smrtz
06-10-2006, 09:28 AM
I think the confusion might be that I havent seen a boat come without. The dealers put a value on it..its all about percieved value...If you are getting your boat from a dealer and picking one on the lot then you will get the kenwood head unit and six speakers almost certainly. If you are getting from factory from scratch you may have the option to leave it out all together... Then you could configure your own system from the ground up. Im sure that the wiring would still be there you would simply have to connect the harness to it...

The Kenwood units that come with that you are talking about are good units.. Im not saying you cant get better.. I use my ipod with a lighter adapter FM mod and it works awesome I was really surprised how great the sound is!

JoeTechie
06-10-2006, 01:01 PM
If I don't put down the $550 for the "AM/FM Radio with CD and Sirius Capability," then do I not receive a head unit, or do I not receive a head unit and 6 coaxial speakers?

NOTHING. No head unit, no speakers, no speaker wire, no dashboard remote, etc. You also do not even get the cable trunk run to the area for the head unit or the speakers even cut out! You do get a very clean looking inside side hull ;)

Like I said - the money for the radio is CHEAP for what you are getting. To replace the head unit and then sell it on eBay or to one of your friends is absolutly the better deal than getting the boat w/o anything unless you are ready to spend the big $ on a custom install.

Note: this is coming from a guy that used to do custom installs of high end stereo gear on cars. - but I do not use my stereo on my boat but for a little while each time out - my boat is my escape from the noise. :)

Now you do need to know that putting an iPod in the Kenwood is actually very simple.

One of these:

Kenwood Aux Adapter (http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENCAC1AUX)

and one of these:

iPod to RCA Adapter (http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rpcart/index.cgi?command=dispitem&type=sku&sku=23479)

$40, and you are in business - very high quality vs the radio adapter - NO static, much higher range output, much better than headphone out even.

I actually installed permanent RCA's next to my head unit, but you can just use the cables as is.

Hope this clears things up.

-Joe

exige
06-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Well I'd say that covers it lol. Thanks, I'll stick with stock and upgrade later.

mvd
08-31-2006, 03:41 AM
Sorry for kicking up this topic.

What is the type of the kenwood stereo that is installed for the $550,-
And is it possible to add an cd changer later and what is the type of this changer?

JoeTechie
09-01-2006, 10:41 AM
The '06 model is the KDC-225MR. They may have changed that this year. It is a Marine grade stereo (more seals), is sirrus satelite ready, and has cd-changer control for any kenwood changer you want, or any that can emulate kenwood.

And as stated above in this thread - the head unit is not the only cost. The entire package is (speakers, cables, remote control, labor) Without it - you get nothing, no holes cut, no wires run, etc. But previously - the stereo was $395, and the tower speakers were $550. Not sure what $550 you are asking about.

-Joe

TN_Boarder
09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Hey Joe,

I noticed that the link you posted to the iPod to RCA cable is now dead. I looked at other options on MCE Tech and found (I guess) the new version of the cable, but it says that it's only compatible with iPod w/ color and iPod w/ video. Do you know if any old aux to RCA cable will work with the iPod (I'm betting not because that's the way Apple seems to control these things)? Or, will this new cable actually work with my iPod Nano?

Also found THIS (http://store.kenwoodusa.com/product.asp?sku=2774276) little jewel, but it cost 100$. May add a few features like song title display on the head unit, but I'm not sure it warants the extra dough especially since it would be specifically for the kenwood unit. I was thinking I could use the aux to RCA for connecting to other units (ie. home stereo).

JoeTechie
09-02-2006, 12:04 AM
THANKS.

I fixed the link on the previous page, and this is what you are looking for (so you can search if the link goes away)

Logiix LGX-78911 (http://www.logiix.net/rcaipod.htm)

-Joe

exige
09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
just a warning, that $100 kenwood cord has awful reviews on crutchfield. its slow and makes it very hard to control your ipod.

to my question though....im getting ready to add on a a sub to the system, but i noticed the stock HU only has one set of preamp outputs. i already have the amp for the tower speakers. should i splice wires to hook up the sub amp, or grab a new kenwood HU (probably a 5032) so that I have 3 sets of preamp outputs, not to mention much better features.

i'm probably looking at a Profile AP1000 amp, which puts out 480 watts RMS. It's getting matched up to Polk/MOMO 2124 sub, so I'll be turning the gain down so it's putting out somewhere close to 400 RMS.

JoeTechie
09-05-2006, 11:48 PM
If you are ONLY adding a sub, then get a crossover. It will have 1 set of RCA's in and 2 sets out - one for the sub sending only the low freqencies, and 1 for the full range above that. Some sub amps have this as a pass-thru as well... check yours first.

Don't "splice" anything.

-Joe

mvd
09-06-2006, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by JoeTechie

The '06 model is the KDC-225MR. They may have changed that this year. It is a Marine grade stereo (more seals), is sirrus satelite ready, and has cd-changer control for any kenwood changer you want, or any that can emulate kenwood.

And as stated above in this thread - the head unit is not the only cost. The entire package is (speakers, cables, remote control, labor) Without it - you get nothing, no holes cut, no wires run, etc. But previously - the stereo was $395, and the tower speakers were $550. Not sure what $550 you are asking about.

-Joe

I saw that this KDC-225MR is out of stock. Is it still in the 2007 models? And what is the replacement radio of this KDC-225MR?

mvd
09-06-2006, 11:48 AM
And what is the type and brand of the transom remote?

09-06-2006, 06:19 PM
i would guess the kdc-232mr? i think that's what i saw the other day.....