PDA

View Full Version : prop in the sand

Blueliner
06-30-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi Folks

Just a question about anchoring at beaches. Where we were yesterday there is a drop off the goes from 7-10' to around 3' or a little less. We cut the motor in deeper water and pulled the boat into the 3' and anchored. With wind and a few soft waves from passing boats, was mostly really calm the but prop was basically poking in and out of the (soft)sand an few inches the odd time. We pushed it out into deeper water before idling further out. Could such a practice damage the prop. The sand is pretty soft, prop blades sharp.

Regards
Blueliner

kaneboats
06-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Probably not going to hurt the prop as long as it can sink into the sand. But, if it is hitting bottom and the bottom doesn't give you can damage your prop, shaft, strut, etc.

zabooda
06-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Wave action with the prop banging into the bottom and lateral movement is the problem. Use a bungee on an anchor will allow the boat to be pulled close to shore to load and unload and then the bungee will pull the boat into deeper water the rest of the time. BTW, beautiful place.

newty
06-30-2015, 02:33 PM
I say your fine unless there are some big waves that drive the ass in to the sand really hard.

DOCDRS
06-30-2015, 02:40 PM
Why risk it if you don't have. A rogue wave, rock, sand crab etc and your prop is bent not to mention shaft or strut. 5 extra minutes to put it out a few more feet is worth a piece of mind. BUT that's just my opinion. Let's have a vote

beat taco
06-30-2015, 03:18 PM
My biggest concern when the back end porpoises against the bottom is the rudder.