PDA

View Full Version : Running 2 x surf speakers and 2 x HLCDs?

blackcup
06-30-2015, 02:48 AM
Anyone on here do this? I have 4 x Wetsounds SXT9Q's and they sound absolutely amazing when the motor is off and we are floating ... but just not loud enough when we are surfing. I really have to max them out to be able to hear them clearly.

Has anyone done two surf and two HLCDs? Any issues I will have? Any recommendations? Would I need to change out the amp? It is the 30.2

Thanks ;)

blackcup
06-30-2015, 03:25 AM
Errrrrrr Exile SXT9Qs ... oh noooo what have I just done

MLA
06-30-2015, 06:36 AM
If you have four 8" coaxials and they cannot be heard surfing, you have a setup or tuning problem, not a need for HLCDs. Speaker aim can be one issue for an off axis surfer. This may or may not be addressable with your tower. A second contributor is having a surf setup thats running stereo. As the surf, off to one side of the boat, 75% of what is heard, is from the one chnl thats closest to them. With quality low compressed music, this sound stage can lead to some loss of output perception to the surfer. Summed mono would play 100% of the program material from both chnls.

brain_rinse
06-30-2015, 09:21 AM
If you have four 8" coaxials and they cannot be heard surfing, you have a setup or tuning problem, not a need for HLCDs.
I agree. If you said you wanted to hear them while wakeboarding that would be different, but if you can't hear the 4 SXTs while surfing you've got a different issue altogether. Post some additional details about how the speakers are wired and how the amp is set up and maybe we can help out.

David Analog
06-30-2015, 10:11 AM
blackcup,
I'm confident you already have plenty of power and plenty of speaker for surfing. Yes, you can add more speakers but that would also mean adding a second amplifier.
This is either an installation & set-up issue, a tuning issue, a source issue, an expectations issue, or an inordinately loud exhaust issue.
Who installed the system? Was there noise and did they gain the system down to conceal the noise?
What source ahead of the EQ are you using? Where is your music material coming from?
Double check the polarity on all speakers?
All the tweeters working?
Again, something is missing here....but it's not lack of equipment or the wrong equipment.

blackcup
06-30-2015, 11:57 AM
I am pretty sure that it comes down to unreasonable expectations. I can clearly hear the music while surfing ... its just not that loud. It seems that I have to really max out the volume to be able to hear it clearly and then I am still wishing it was louder.

It was tuned/installed etc by a marine/car audio shop here and it sounds AMAZING when the engine is off. I would be very surprised if it was an installation issue because the installer really knew his stuff and it sounds great when floating.

trayson
06-30-2015, 12:05 PM
I am pretty sure that it comes down to unreasonable expectations. I can clearly hear the music while surfing ... its just not that loud. It seems that I have to really max out the volume to be able to hear it clearly and then I am still wishing it was louder.

It was tuned/installed etc by a marine/car audio shop here and it sounds AMAZING when the engine is off. I would be very surprised if it was an installation issue because the installer really knew his stuff and it sounds great when floating.

Pretty easy solution here.

FRESH AIR EXHAUST.

www.freshairexhaust.com

it'll be a better stereo upgrade than more speakers. Your boat will quiet down so much while underway that you'll be stoked with the improvement in sound.

David Analog
06-30-2015, 12:24 PM
Another part of this, and maybe not a major issue, is that the subwoofer cannot project out of the boat and at surf range. The fullness that low bass adds does contribute to your sense of volume.

blackcup
06-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Pretty easy solution here.

FRESH AIR EXHAUST.

www.freshairexhaust.com

it'll be a better stereo upgrade than more speakers. Your boat will quiet down so much while underway that you'll be stoked with the improvement in sound.

Hmmmm looks like a good option for sure ... damn US products though means I gotta make an 6 hour round trip or I get raped on the shipping/customs.

trayson
06-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Hmmmm looks like a good option for sure ... damn US products though means I gotta make an 6 hour round trip or I get raped on the shipping/customs.

Well, you wouldn't be the first person that has made their own version if you decided to DIY with a trip to the local plumbing store... How are your fab skills?

blackcup
06-30-2015, 03:47 PM
Well, you wouldn't be the first person that has made their own version if you decided to DIY with a trip to the local plumbing store... How are your fab skills?

Yah not that good haha ... I'd be better off making the drive FOR SURE.

Does it void out warranty?

mikenehrkorn
06-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Does it void out warranty?

Here's what they say on the FAE website:

WILL FAE INTERFERE WITH MY BOAT WARRANTY?

There are over 1400 FAE installed including several by boat manufacturers, and all boat engine manufacturers have been introduced to FAE. No boat or engine manufacturer has stated a warranty issue with FAE. If your boat engine is under warranty we recommend you install an optional flapper to comply with engine installation requirements. Also, you can have your boat dealer perform the FAE installation.

David Analog
06-30-2015, 07:53 PM
A manufacturer cannot void a warranty merely because the vehicle/craft was customized or accessories were added. Read the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act enacted in 1975. Now if they can prove exactly why and how the vehicle/craft was damaged by the installation of the add-on, that would be another story.