PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Owners In NC...

mjr119
06-29-2015, 04:26 PM
Has anyone on here been stopped for a random safety check (AKA I just want to be nosey and check stuff out) this season? I heard from a friend that NC wildlife and sheriffs will no longer do these. I havent been stopped this year (very rare, Ive been stopped every year for as long as I can remember, sometimes multiple times in the same weekend).

Just wondering if anyone has heard about this or been stopped? I dont even have registration stickers on my boat (working on the gel coat, it's taking longer than I expected), and I still havent been stopped.

mikenehrkorn
06-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Our place is on fairly small lake in MI and the sheriff is on the lake most Saturdays and Sundays throughout the summer checking registration decals as well as life jackets for all passengers. Not recently, but have had a few of them with badges and guns that shouldn't have that wanted to check on absolutely every requirement (i.e. throwable flotation, fire ext, etc). :(

JD14Mondo
06-29-2015, 04:49 PM
I have not been stopped yet. Have seen them at party cove on lake Jordan and ramps. Mainly looks like sobriety checks. Stay safe!

tarheelskier
06-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Only been out a few times this year, but have seen both NC wildlife and Wake County sheriff on Falls. I have not been stopped this year, but I have only been stopped a couple of times on Falls in the past 5-6 years and have never been stopped on Gaston.

z28ke
06-29-2015, 08:15 PM
I've been stopped on Falls for a safety check almost every year for the past 10 years. I haven't yet this year and was out surfing Sunday with my friend and son. A "green legs" was slowly shadowing us down the lake for about 10 minutes and I figured as soon as we stopped he would hit the blues. Nope, he just waved and idled on past us. In fact I have only seen one boater being harassed this year even though wildlife or wake county sheriffs have been out there 3/4 of the weekends. Usually they go from one boat to the next seemingly all day long. I would say their might be some truth to that mjr, maybe they received enough complaints to finally back off?

z28ke
06-29-2015, 08:28 PM
What lake do you frequent mjr?

mjr119
06-29-2015, 08:41 PM
I live on High Rock Lake. I see sheriff's and wildlife officers out every weekend. Sometimes multiples. So yes it's definitely rare to not get stopped at least once a season.

The only time I've seen someone pulled over this year was after a jet skier plowed thru a no wake zone right in front of a sheriff. He got pulled over with a quickness!

aapwayneo2001
06-30-2015, 08:34 PM
We hit belews over the memorial day weekend and still had the OK numbers on the boat from when we bought it in January…went right by wildlife just threw our hands up and waved...no issues

aapwayneo2001
06-30-2015, 08:43 PM
I live on High Rock Lake. I see sheriff's and wildlife officers out every weekend. Sometimes multiples. So yes it's definitely rare to not get stopped at least once a season.

The only time I've seen someone pulled over this year was after a jet skier plowed thru a no wake zone right in front of a sheriff. He got pulled over with a quickness!
We have a friend that has a place on HR over off of Summerville Church rd...we try to frequent there as much as possible, water is always smooth b/c most boats can't get to that side of the lake and have to stay in the big water

mjr119
07-01-2015, 08:25 AM
Oh wow that's less than 5 minutes from my house, I'm assuming you drop in at Pebble Beach access area?

That section of the lake is great for watersports, I know some people used to have a slalom course set up near the railroad trestle, not sure if it's still there or not. I havent been able to get under the trestle with my boat, it's the lowest bridge on the lake. Sometimes I ride jetskis in that area, maybe I'll see you around!

Dubwake21
07-08-2015, 05:14 AM
Down here in Wilmington they ran a news story confirming the original post. They now require "reasonable suspicion".

z28ke
07-08-2015, 09:08 PM
Found it:

http://m.wect.com/wect/db_330750/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=rW3sodIV

Thank god they did something about this. In video the green legs says something to the effect of "it's not like we can go pulling over every boat on the water" which is exactly what I've seen them do for 10 years. Now they have to keep a log of "why and who" they stop.