PDA

View Full Version : Head Unit Remore Wire

nevenson
06-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I am going to be putting in a higher end Kenwood deck in my boat....but I am wondering how to get the remote (drivers side and transom) to work? There is a wire that is soldered to the circuit board on the stock head unit...and this seems to be my problem. What wire is that?

THANKS!

three6ty
06-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Go to the Kenwood website. Only certain Marine headunits will have the Hard Wired Remote wire that comes out of the back of the deck and goes to the Wired remote on the drivers side dash.

I got lucky with mine. I just bought a new Kenwood Excelon X-790 deck without knowing I needed a Marine Deck for the Hard Wired Remote. My X-790 ( which is not a marine deck) had the wire for the remote and I hooked it up and it works great.
I e-mailed Kenwood Technical service and they said the X-790 would not work with the hard wired remote. ( shows you how much they know) . I said it does and they still didnt believe me. Well it does. If you have a local shop that carries the X-790 have them pull it out of the box and see if there is a wire on the back. It will be by itself and maked "wired remote".

Good Luck

E-mail me and I can get you the guy I bought it through on E-bay. the X-790 has a retail of $449 but I got it new on e-bay for $179 + shipping. The deck has tons of options. Again look on the Kenwood website and you can see all the option on all of their current decks.

SethC
08-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Was the wire that you hooked it to meant for steering wheel controls? It looks like the model you got and the X-890 have a wire for steering wheel mounted controls which may be compatible somehow. I want to order one myself. It's either that or get an equilizer but I would rather have the deck.

Originally posted by three6ty

Go to the Kenwood website. Only certain Marine headunits will have the Hard Wired Remote wire that comes out of the back of the deck and goes to the Wired remote on the drivers side dash.

I got lucky with mine. I just bought a new Kenwood Excelon X-790 deck without knowing I needed a Marine Deck for the Hard Wired Remote. My X-790 ( which is not a marine deck) had the wire for the remote and I hooked it up and it works great.
I e-mailed Kenwood Technical service and they said the X-790 would not work with the hard wired remote. ( shows you how much they know) . I said it does and they still didnt believe me. Well it does. If you have a local shop that carries the X-790 have them pull it out of the box and see if there is a wire on the back. It will be by itself and maked "wired remote".

Good Luck

E-mail me and I can get you the guy I bought it through on E-bay. the X-790 has a retail of $449 but I got it new on e-bay for $179 + shipping. The deck has tons of options. Again look on the Kenwood website and you can see all the option on all of their current decks.

SethC
08-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Does anybody know what the stock Kenwood unit that comes with the 05 XLV is? The boat and manual are both 20 miles away at the moment. I would like to look it up on the Kenwood site.

Thanks

SethC
08-10-2006, 03:14 PM
In case anybody is interested. Both the Kenwood KDC-x890 and KDC-x790's will work with the hard wire remote on the boat. They have a wire that's meant for steering wheel control but if you hook up the hard wire to it works perfectly. I just installed the x890 and it took me 5 minutes to swap them out. Someone else has installed the x790 and it works as well. Probably any Kenwood deck with the steering wheel remote wire will work.

Of course they are not "Marinzed" but if your's is in the glove box like mine that area generally does not get wet.

rdemore
08-14-2006, 10:22 AM
My Kenwood (KDC-MMPV7019) just went out and I also am looking at a KDC-x790. However, my 7019 does not have a remote wire and the remote is wirred into a PCB on the dash I am still trying to figure out how the remote works.

Anyway, will I have to disconecct and pull a new wire for for the new head unit?

SethC
08-15-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure what to tell you. If there is no hard-wire connection between the head unit and the remote then how is it working? If you get the KDC-x790 and run a new wire assuming the remote is compatible it should work.