PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlite Broadcast vs Byerly Buzz

Rakkasan
06-27-2015, 03:26 PM
I hope someone could give me some advice. I started last year on a LF Fish and its slowww. Tried out a Broadcast a couple times and love how I can push it and move up and down the wave. Are the two boards above good "intermediate" boards or should I be looking at something else all together.

I'm 5'10" 155 if it helps. Thanks all.

wolfeman131
06-27-2015, 11:50 PM
Do not buy a wakesurf board from a company that focuses on wakeboards. Find a wakesurf board company and buy from them!

Rakkasan
06-28-2015, 02:54 AM
Do not buy a wakesurf board from a company that focuses on wakeboards. Find a wakesurf board company and buy from them!

I know what you mean, but don't want to spend that much. I'm not pulling a pro behind my boat just want to up my skill level with a faster more maneuverable board.

jmvotto
06-28-2015, 07:20 AM
Broadcast is a starter board. While it is fun, there are better boards in that price range. Don't have any experience in the byerly line, but that hybrid looks to be in the same category.

Try these at the price point, great bang for your buck.
https://triplexsurfskim.quivers.com/c/444

wolfeman131
06-28-2015, 08:05 AM
I know what you mean, but don't want to spend that much. I'm not pulling a pro behind my boat just want to up my skill level with a faster more maneuverable board.

You'll end up spending that much when you realize that you have outgrown either of the boards you listed and need a new board. Again.

At Southern Surfest, I heard a lot of good reviews of the LF Happy Pill and the LF Doum is always a good choice, too.

jmvotto
06-28-2015, 08:26 AM
Also cruise the classifieds on here, WW, eBay and other forums, you could get a used great surf co board for almost 1/2 price

snyderaaron
06-28-2015, 03:03 PM
I have both boards, as I just bought the Buzz. My broadcast is older I think a 2011, but the Buzz is more fun to slash around on. I have never been able to get the 360 with broadcast, but have come close. Haven't been able to learn the spins yet on the Buzz because the fins are larger.

trayson
06-28-2015, 06:17 PM
I liked the buzz a lot more than the broadcast. THe broadcast is a straight up beginner board and is kind of a dog in my opinion. If you're really only looking at the two, I'd say buzz.

But get on a higher end board and prepare for your mind to be blown.

Rakkasan
06-29-2015, 02:11 AM
But get on a higher end board and prepare for your mind to be blown.

How higher end are we talking here? What's the best sub $500 board?

wolfeman131
06-29-2015, 06:04 AM
Do you want a surf or skim style board?

trayson
06-29-2015, 11:08 AM
How higher end are we talking here? What's the best sub $500 board?

Hard to say what's the best. I ride a Doomswell and they come in at $675. so yeah, I'd consider that high end I guess.

If you want to come in under $500, maybe check with Mark at Lakewakes. he seems to be willing to get out decent custom boards for a bit less money.

And yeah, whether you want surf of skim will make a difference.

Rakkasan
06-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Looking for a surf style board. Just not one of the big cruisers, one I can really move on the wave with. Not sure I could handle the skim style yet.

wolfeman131
06-29-2015, 04:27 PM
under $500 for a surf style board is tough.

http://www.towanza.com/wakesurf-boards/wakesurf-board-style/surf-style/sort-by/price/sort-direction/asc

maybe a Triple X Slayer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIPLE-X-SLAYER-PRO-X-WAKESURF-BOARD-BRAND-NEW-/300563008395?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45faf38b8b

trayson
06-29-2015, 04:37 PM
The only other suggestion I would have is talk to Mark at Lakewakes and see what he can do for you.

He has a couple that are around that price...
http://www.lakewakes.com/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=29

But definitely make sure you get something that's right for your height/weight. I have ridden a Lakewakes Hooligan, but it was designed for a rider around 220# and I'm 165# so to me it felt slower all around. Whereas my Doomswell is perfect for my size and it continues to make me very happy. But the Doomswells are around $675 so more than you're wanting to spend.

Rakkasan
07-01-2015, 02:40 AM
under $500 for a surf style board is tough.

http://www.towanza.com/wakesurf-boards/wakesurf-board-style/surf-style/sort-by/price/sort-direction/asc

maybe a Triple X Slayer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRIPLE-X-SLAYER-PRO-X-WAKESURF-BOARD-BRAND-NEW-/300563008395?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45faf38b8b

I really liked that Triple X but they were sold out of the 4'8" I wanted. Their other boards seem like smokin good deals just not available yet.

CamperCarl
07-01-2015, 09:14 AM
I recently bought a Triple X and can't be happier with it. I went from an older Broadcast board and it was night and day difference. For the money I would say they are hard to beat. Good board and all fins and storage sock included for $350. I did buy it over the winter so it was a little bit cheaper. I bought the 5'-0" Slayer.

I will still end up ordering a slightly higher end board this year and move the Slayer to a boat board.

Beejwest
07-03-2015, 01:44 PM
I surf the LF Doum 60". I love it! Way better than my buddy's Ronix Carbon Skim. I bought it after the new model year came out, and saves about $100. 22414

Beejwest
07-03-2015, 01:52 PM
I lied, thats a LF TOMMY CZESCHIN custom, not a Doum.

reeder
07-09-2015, 12:21 AM
When our family first got into surfing we bought a Ronix Koalfish only because that's what the salesman recommended, we didn't know if it was a good or bad board. None of us could ride it because we didn't know what we were doing just getting into surfing. So I went out and bought a Hyperlite Broadcast so everyone could learn on it which worked great. Now we prefer the Koalfish but now that my kids are bigger and getting better (unfortunately I'm not, LOL), and they're wanting to do more on the board, tricks and stuff, are there much much better boards for this than the Koalfish or is it a pretty good board? Anybody else have experience with a Ronix Koalfish? How does it compare to some other boards?

Cheers

wolfeman131
07-09-2015, 05:32 PM
are there much much better boards for this than the Koalfish

the simple answer is YES, but it's very complex . . . .

any idea on surf or skim style, rider heights & weights, etc all can come into play.

maybe try looking here first:

http://southernsurfest.com/2015-surfest-boards-reviews/

trayson
07-09-2015, 05:52 PM
When our family first got into surfing we bought a Ronix Koalfish only because that's what the salesman recommended, we didn't know if it was a good or bad board. None of us could ride it because we didn't know what we were doing just getting into surfing. So I went out and bought a Hyperlite Broadcast so everyone could learn on it which worked great. Now we prefer the Koalfish but now that my kids are bigger and getting better (unfortunately I'm not, LOL), and they're wanting to do more on the board, tricks and stuff, are there much much better boards for this than the Koalfish or is it a pretty good board? Anybody else have experience with a Ronix Koalfish? How does it compare to some other boards?

Cheers

I had basically the same board. It was a ronix koal. it's middle of the road. something that beginners could ride, a step above the broadcast, but not mind blowing. it's more fun if you pull the center fin. That said, when I rode some boards by higher end brands, it was night and day. The Doomswell, Soulcraft and lakewakes boards I rode put the Koal to shame. I used to be on a kick where I tried to ride as many boards as I could. I'd ridden some 20+ different boards, but once I found the one I liked the best, I sold my Ronix Koal and kept saving until I could afford it. Now I really don't have a huge desire to ride much else.