PDA

View Full Version : 05 xlv just cranks wont start

jws
06-27-2015, 10:54 AM
we finally got a decent day so i was out at the lake yesterday pulling the kids on the tube, everything was running fine until shut the motor off to load get the kids into the boat. then it wouldn't start , i just cranks away. i had to have someone tow me in. any ideas on how to proceed. its an 05 moomba xlv. i just bout it from a boat dealer in Arizona, im in Wyoming so i cant take it back to them. is it going to make something worse if i crank on it when its not in the water, if it starts i wont run it but its 30 mintues to the closes boat ramp and being the weekend its going to be packed so i d rather get it started here before i take it to the lake. thanks.

ninedriver
06-27-2015, 12:35 PM
May have been vapor lock. Pretty common and lots of info on the forum about that, just do a search. Also, make sure your emergency cutoff lanyard is still attached. You may try unhooking it and rehooking it to make sure its ok. And, to run your boat out of the water, you need to use a fake-a-lake. Lots of diy versions on the net. I use one that I hook directly to intake on the v-drive. Keep us posted.

jws
06-27-2015, 01:41 PM
would it still be a vapor lock problem if it wont start the next day. I got up early this morning, the temp was about 57. it was about 80 yesterday when it stopped running. I pulled the fuel line off of the fuel filter and gas ran out. im not much of a mechanic but i guess im going to have to learn. this time of year its a 3 month wait to get the boat into a shop and our season is over by then. crap.

liquid_acid
06-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Doesn't sound like vapor lock. Could be a number of things. When was the last time the plugs, wires and distributor were changed or checked? Could be a fuel pump issue. Is it carbureted?

jws
06-27-2015, 06:33 PM
I think it has a carb but the cover says efi. sorry im not much of a mechanic. I just bought the boat from boulder boats in mesa Arizona and they said they went through everything, im a little skeptical now because things are falling apart, the gas gauge fell out the first time I took it out and I cant figure out how it goes back in and now this.

jws
06-28-2015, 10:52 AM
im pretty sure its the fuel pump, i pulled a spark plug wire off put another spark plug in it and set it on the engine and got good spark so i sprayed starting fluid into the carb and it started right up but dies immediately, i replaced the fuel filter but that didn't help. I've got a friend coming over this afternoon who knows way more about this tuff than i do. how hard is it to replace the fuel pump. does anyone have a picture of one so i know what im looking for. who would i order it through.

zabooda
06-28-2015, 03:37 PM
I have a DD so no comparison but you need to get the model of the pump or call Skidim and they can match it up. Be sure to check the 12 volt connection to the pump that it gets power before removing it. You can jumper it to see if it runs. Being an 05, it is probably needing to be replaced.

DOCDRS
06-28-2015, 08:18 PM
sounds like you have efi . when you turn the ignition on you should hear the fuel pump come on to pressurize the system. .02

jws
06-29-2015, 09:01 AM
i don't hear any noise when I turn the key on now. use to, id heard something then a buzzer came on for a second , now the buzzer goes off and that's all until the perfect pass thing turns on.im going to replace all 3 of the relays and see if that helps. I had a mechanic friend come over and work on it for a couple of hours yesterday, he said there wasn't any power to the pump. we checked all the fuses we could find and ran power to it directly and the pump motor ran fine so I guess its probably a relay.

ninedriver
06-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Sounds like you're on the right track. I'm not sure on the schematic of the fuel pump but sounds like you need to start chasing wires. Like DOC said, when you turn the key to the first click, you should hear the fuel pump hum for a few seconds to prime the engine. I recall the ignition switch on some moomba's were giving folks some issues so you may want to search the threads for that or someone may chime in.

jws
06-29-2015, 11:45 PM
I went down and bought a new relay then tried it in every one of the three with no luck, is there an easy way to tell if its the ignition switch or do I have to replace it to be able to tell if its the problem.

jws
07-01-2015, 09:35 AM
im trying to find the ecm port does anyone know where i should look for it, my friends reader says its Compatible with MEFI-1 thru MEFI-4 marine EFI how do i know what mine is? thanks.

MateoG
07-01-2015, 01:21 PM
This will sound stupid but it happened to us we think several times. The safety that attaches to a driver life vest can get a little loose where it attaches to lever. Take it off and put it back on a few times. We justo fiddled with that a few minutes and it fired right back up! If you are close to a lake keep it trailered but back it in and try this a few times.

Incidentally where are you in WY? We are in Northern CO and in Laramie and Cheyenne very often.

23scuba
07-02-2015, 06:14 AM
Look on the back of your key switch under the dash and see if it's got a plug in or separate wires going to it like an old school key switch.. Mine is an 08 and had the plug in.. Mine was doing the same thing to me and I ended up trying another key switch and it fired right up... I think the new one was like $50 or so and has been flawless ever since...

23scuba
07-02-2015, 06:23 AM
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?24228-08-lsv-hard-to-start!/page2

Here is a link to when I had the same trouble.. Notice also somebody mentions removing the map sensor and seeing if it starts then....

jws
07-05-2015, 11:54 PM
the problem as far as I can tell is it wont start because its not getting any power to the fuel pump. here's what ive tried, not necessarily in this order , bypassed the ignition, bypassed the dead man safety switch thing. replaced the fuel filter, checked all the fuses, replaced all the relays, hooked external power to the fuel pump and it works, blead the Schrader valve, fired it up on starting fluid - runs great,
ive got a code reader coming in on Tuesday, hopefully that will tell me something. im going to try unplugging the the map sensor, if I can find it. im pretty sure its not the crank position sensor because I get a good spark from the coil wire and the engine runs good on starting fluid. the guys as skidim said to look at the oil pressure sensor so im going try that tomorrow as well, after that im out of ideas so its off to the shop.
mateoG,im in Sheridan. thanks for the ideas guys.

blackyj
07-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Lightly tap the ecm with the key in the on position and see if the fuel pump kicks on...my 05 mobius ls is currently getting a new computer. Before giving in and taking it to the dealer I did everything you have done and noticed tapping on ecm made pump kick on so I figured it was a bad ecm but since it was $1700 just for the ecm I wanted them to check it to make sure that was the problem.