PDA

View Full Version : Engine Revs High in Neutral / Sticking Throttle

swedespeed7
06-26-2015, 11:28 AM
2008 Outback with Indmar 325 Assault. Starting about 4-5 years ago, we experienced weird throttle issues once in a blue moon. Scenario: you're at speed and begin to slow down/ease up on the throttle, approaching neutral. As you approach neutral, RPMs become lower as they normally should. As soon as you click into neutral though, the engine immediately revs high (no higher than 2-3k RPMs though). The only remedy is to turn off the ignition and restart the boat. Obviously we don't put it into forward/reverse while idling high to prevent transmission damage.

We took it to our dealer twice but they were unable to replicate the issue. Well, now it's happening more than 50% of the time and of course we're out of warranty. It sounds like an electronic issue to me (since it isn't cable driven), possibly with the pedal position sensor? Indmar advised taking it to a service center with a DIACOM scan tool to test the throttle components. I really don't feel like pulling the boat out again, but I will if I have to. Is this my only option?

Thanks.

mnpracing
06-26-2015, 01:54 PM
had similar symptoms on our '06 OBV, and it was the PPS. It had another name but it was the small black box on the engine where the throttle cable connected. If I remember correctly, it had what looked like a servo arm on it. Sorry for the vague description. Service dept couldn't figure it out, so I just started replacing parts, and luckily that was the first one I tried.

To test if this is the issue, when it does it again, push in the trans lockout button on the throttle handle and rev the engine (blip it up over 2500 or 3000 rpm). If the RPM then settle back down to a proper idle RPM, my guess is the PPS (or whatever the technical name is).

swedespeed7
06-26-2015, 03:44 PM
had similar symptoms on our '06 OBV, and it was the PPS. It had another name but it was the small black box on the engine where the throttle cable connected. If I remember correctly, it had what looked like a servo arm on it. Sorry for the vague description. Service dept couldn't figure it out, so I just started replacing parts, and luckily that was the first one I tried.

To test if this is the issue, when it does it again, push in the trans lockout button on the throttle handle and rev the engine (blip it up over 2500 or 3000 rpm). If the RPM then settle back down to a proper idle RPM, my guess is the PPS (or whatever the technical name is).

Thanks, I suspect this is the issue. The boat is vibrating strangely as well so I'm going to take it to the dealer anyway and hopefully get it back in time for the 4th of July. I'll post the resolution when I have it. Thanks!