PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Sensitivity

GSC
06-25-2015, 10:21 AM
I'm new to boating. I just bought a 2012 Mobius LSV and it seems like the throttle is hyper sensitive. It feels loose and it is difficult to get it to maintain an approximate speed in many cases. Is there a way to "tighten" it up, for lack of a better word?:confused:

mjr119
06-25-2015, 02:11 PM
I think it's related to the perfect pass. My buddy's new Mojo is like this too. Maybe there is some adjustment in the perfect pass? It's almost as if the servo overtightens then cable. But I dont know, dont take my word for it, wait for some experts to reply!

gregski
06-25-2015, 03:26 PM
I find that all new drivers struggle to control the speed but not specifically the throttle. For example: you want to go 2mph faster so you give it some more throttle, then you are going 5mph too fast, so you cut some throttle, then you are going 5 mph too slow and you can never find "just right" on the throttle. It sort of acts like it's "touchy" or maybe hyper sensitive but the problem is actually the opposite in that there is much more lag time between throttle adjustments and speed changes than in a car for example and the driver's reactions aren't in synch with the boat.

The best advise I can offer is to use the tach when making adjustments for speed. If the boat is running steady at some speed and you want to go a little faster (like 1-2mph), look at the tach and give it enough throttle to increase the engine speed by some small amount like 50-100rpm, then wait and see what speed it settles into and then repeat with a little more or less engine speed change on the tach to get the boat speed that you want on the speedo. With experience, you will get the "touch" better dialed in, especially as you get used to the boat, you will start to know what rpm equals what speed, like 3000rpm=25mph, or whatever. Obviously, this will change a little with variations in weight, wind, etc. but you'll be able to get close without much thought and then adjust slightly to get exactly what you want.

mmandley
06-25-2015, 11:48 PM
Another tip is throttle with your fingers not your hand.

A lot of people want to grab the throttle like a gear shift on a car and you man handle it. Just hold the ball of the throttle with your index, middle, and thumb. Then you won't be able to push on it so hard. Over time you will get the routine down.

I know every new driver I teach will grab that throttle and push it down launching the boat. Then I have to tell them why you use the 3 finger method.

z28ke
06-27-2015, 07:16 PM
I agree. I rest my hand on the little padded armrest and use my finger tips to adjust the throttle. Doesn't take much, like fractions of an inch, to adjust speed at surf or wakeboard speed.