PDA

View Full Version : Hauling Boat - Cover vs No Cover

pdhj1990
06-25-2015, 06:23 AM
I'm planning to haul our boat about 300 miles from one lake to another. When hauling a boat over long distances, would you haul your boat with or without the full boat cover?
Paul

wolfeman131
06-25-2015, 07:25 AM
manual says no
many folks say OK

some will tell you that if you pull with the factory cover, you can help protect the gel by running a band of shrink wrap around the rub rail.

I tow with the cover off as I don't like thinking about the cost of repairing metal flake gel.

pdhj1990
06-25-2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks Drew.

CamperCarl
06-25-2015, 09:06 AM
I think it depends on the type of cover you have. I have an Outer Armor cover and towed my boat with it on without any problems. The idea of shrink wrap around the rub rail is a good suggestion, as any touch point has the chance of damaging the gel coat.

Most of the time I tow with the cover off. But for long trips I do tow with the Outer Armor cover. It is a really solid cover and grips the boat well. I feel it adds a little protection and keeps the cushions inside the boat.

New Guy
06-25-2015, 09:31 AM
I have a snap cover and I'll tow with that on long trips without any damage. At first I hated the idea of snaps but I really like the convenience of covering just the bow and extending our season.

mcdye
06-25-2015, 10:25 AM
We tow with the cover off short or long trips. If the weather turns to rain, I will put the cover on with no poles and tow at a slower speed.

kaneboats
06-25-2015, 01:14 PM
I learned on here I can tow with my two snap covers on. Was scared to do it before I heard it here. Been doing it ever since (about twice a year when we go on vacation). The rest of the time it's only 40 min. so I like leaving it uncovered so she's ready to go at the river and can dry out in the heat on the way home.

Kidder522
06-25-2015, 05:57 PM
Hey Fellas,

I will be in the same situation on Tuesday, but I have 1100 Kms. I have the snap covers on my LSV, and wondering of the poles or not? Dealership said yes, use the poles, but I am worried about break through where the poles snap to the cover. I hauled with cover and poles on, but it was 1 hour. Just wondering about 11 hours?

Thanks

Richard

kaneboats
06-25-2015, 10:29 PM
If you have poles you should use them because they keep the cover taut and it's not flapping around. Flapping puts pressure on the snap points. Taut is good.

mmandley
06-25-2015, 11:32 PM
I would be concerned with the cover off, due to Texas Speed Limits, and making sure cushions don't fly out.

We tow ours locally to and from the lake with out the cover.

When we go to the bigger lakes we frequent we use the cover. <we have a towing cover though>

I personally prefer towing on the Interstate with the cover though, this way I don't have as many bug splats on my seats and it helps protect it from any flying debris from other cars.