PDA

View Full Version : Mojo vs LSV vs Axis A22

Ian Brantford
06-25-2015, 04:53 AM
Howdy, folks. I am considering updating my XLV to a newer model. Who has had a chance for a detailed comparison of the new Axis A22 (or even A24) to Moomba's medium to larger models?

So far, I have only seen the A22 (the Liquid Force trim level) in the showroom. Based on my readings of Axis' high and low points, it's a pretty good redesign with a serious focus on improvement. The only low point was being surprised that the tower is powder coated instead of stainless steel. I'm not sure whether the clamp attachment for my hydrofoil rack would scuff it, Of course there would also be a general concern about long term, visible corrosion even without that modification.

I might have a chance to visit a Moomba dealer on Friday (that's merely one day from when most of you will read this). Are there any points of attention that I should inspect?

If anyone can give me expectations about Canadian prices to expect right, please advise.

One thing that concerns me about both brands is that warranties are now shorter than when I purchased a decade ago. Shouldn't they get longer if quality is good?

sandm
06-25-2015, 07:08 AM
one look at the moomba interior over the axis interior would sell me a moomba all day long.

my .02 anyway :)

Ian Brantford
06-25-2015, 01:04 PM
one look at the moomba interior over the axis interior would sell me a moomba all day long.

The A22 is newly redesigned for this year. The upholstery looks and feels at least as good as my older Moomba. I don't know whether newer Moomba models have gone up or down in quality here.

For anyone kindly taking the time to reply, please give tangibles as parameters. As a nerd, it's difficult for me to grasp differences that might be merely aesthetic. If upholstery or anything else has a specific difference that I can check in person, that's what I need to read ahead of time. For example, I'm going to take a closer look at stitching for anomalies and number of stitch lines, because people who bought earlier Axis models complained on forums about things coming apart after just 3 or 4 years; whereas my XLV took 8 years before needing a stitch repair.

Thanks in advance!

wolfeman131
06-25-2015, 01:42 PM
are you buying a 2015 model now or waiting on the '16's?

sandm
06-25-2015, 01:47 PM
specifically the lack of bases on the seats and the open concept of the interior is what I was referring to. quality wise, my cousins a22 seemed to be similar in quality to the moomba line.
I know the wakeboard wake on his is amazing compared to his old 24ft tige and my 22ve, but surfwave, even with surfgate, is just OK.
should say it's a '14.

Ian Brantford
06-25-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm looking at 2015 models that are currently in stock, mainly because good used ones that aren't very old have pretty much all disappeared from local inventories. In the case of the A22, I would only consider a new one because of the redesign.

edit: I didn't go for winter boat show deals because I had considered giving up on boating altogether. However, my girlfriend (only met her at the end of last summer) assures me that she's built up expectations among her professional cheerleading team that a great summer is to be had on the water. So, there is some considerable motivation here to have an up to date boat that has "new boat" appeal and low risk of any mid-season failure.

sandm
06-25-2015, 05:02 PM
professional cheerleading team

need a roommate? I have a new boat :)

jmvotto
06-25-2015, 06:03 PM
mojo if you surf, been in all three and that's my vote

kaneboats
06-25-2015, 10:30 PM
Need to consider a winter visit to Florida. Get in boat shape and tan too.

wolfeman131
06-25-2015, 10:32 PM
However, my girlfriend (only met her at the end of last summer) assures me that she's built up expectations among her professional cheerleading team that a great summer is to be had on the water.

I believe one of the forum rules clearly states, "pics or it didn't happen."

The Mojo is the biggest ride of those you have listed. How in the hell could you consider a boat that might force you to leave one of the team on the dock?

kriley
06-26-2015, 08:09 AM
I believe one of the forum rules clearly states, "pics or it didn't happen."

The Mojo is the biggest ride of those you have listed. How in the hell could you consider a boat that might force you to leave one of the team on the dock?

I have to agree with Drew! I would only consider a smaller boat if the team members that couldn't ride on the boat would be riding a tube in very rough water.....

No in all seriousness, I looked at the A22 and A24 this last year and the interior, waketower coating, and other just seemed cheap and it was more expensive than the Moomba Mojo...

Pics of course would be an added benefit if you had a boat load of cheerleaders

kaneboats
06-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Leave one on the dock? That's what laps are for my friend.

sandm
06-26-2015, 11:05 AM
I would hope that prior to ballast/stereo, this is the first upgrade going on any new boat...

http://bsalert.com/f-store/stripper_pole2.jpg

Ian Brantford
06-27-2015, 12:51 PM
I would hope that prior to ballast/stereo, this is the first upgrade going on any new boat...

http://bsalert.com/f-store/stripper_pole2.jpg

Haha! For those who have forgotten about our past posts on the matter, many of my friends who have been on the boat in previous years have in fact been pole dancers (recreational and competitive, not strippers). I have done it myself and took eight months of classes last year. Don't make me give you an eye-bleaching photo to prove it.

Anyway, yes, it has been fantastic to have a crew of people who were athletic before hitting the water with me. Participation has waned in the last couple of years due to my city growing up in terms of local entertainment, so I have been reluctant to make another go of it. The GF gives me much more "social pull", so I'm seriously thinking of starting a new era on the water, and the boat could stand to be updated.

For those responding regarding older Axis boats for comparison, I am aware of that brand's growing pains. The A22 is a new design and findings about pre-2015 models do not apply anymore. I am not sure whether the A24 is also updated. I'll find out.

For Moomba, I would consider a recent year used one, but the limited selection around here, plus querying my local detailer, leads me to conclude that most people who will sell a recent model sport boat have taken poor care of it.

I did not visit, on Friday, the Moomba dealer where I bought my XLV. It's 5 hours' drive away and I was about to swing by while I was in a nearby city, but then I did a dealer search and there is now one less than an hour from my home! This changes everything, as it makes it practical to get local service. The Axis/Malibu dealer has been the only good place that can service inboard wakeboarding boats, and they prioritise owners who bought boats from them when it comes to service. Also, Moomba changed their drive system to use a Ford engine recently, so even that is no longer in common. Previous to finding a local Moomba dealer yesterday, choosing Moomba again was much less likely. I'll pay them a visit early next week.

Right now, the biggest disincentive (other than cost) to buying a new Axis or Moomba is the shockingly short warranty. Two years? Really? Perhaps the dealers will offer their own extensions as an incentive.

Ian Brantford
06-27-2015, 05:50 PM
mojo if you surf, been in all three and that's my vote

Thanks! Were they the redesigned 2015 Axis models? While I value wakeboarding more than surfing, I want whatever I have to be fully qualified for both.

Also needed is hydrofoiling. Just about anything that can tow can accommodate that ride, but I need to affix a special aftermarket rack to carry the hydrofoil on the tower.

Ian Brantford
06-27-2015, 06:02 PM
specifically the lack of bases on the seats and the open concept of the interior is what I was referring to. quality wise, my cousins a22 seemed to be similar in quality to the moomba line.

I haven't seen the older A22 up close. By lack of bases, do you mean that some design other than storage compartment walls hold the seats up? The current A22 has normal seats with storage, similar to Moomba.

I am not sure what "open concept" means in contrast to Moomba. The new A22 has a walkthrough to the bow rather than the XLV's full playpen seating, but otherwise they are pretty similar. The A22 has a reversible rear bench seat as well, but not the attachable seatback as with the XLV. The main deficiency in seating arrangements of the A22 and A24 is that there is no reversed seatback on the bench seat behind the driver. They have resversed flip-up seating available on the other side. The thing that I just realised is that the Mojo also lacks the reversed bench seatback. What, did no one from the XLV team tell them that that was important?

I know the wakeboard wake on his is amazing compared to his old 24ft tige and my 22ve, but surfwave, even with surfgate, is just OK.
should say it's a '14.

Okay, thanks. The only note of caution that I can find for the A22 regarding wakesurfing came from the instructor at the Axis dealer himself, which was that the OEM pipe to emulate a Fresh Air Exhaust would disrupt the wake in this case. I know that modern boats have catalytic converters, but there is lots of other stuff in engine exhaust that I'd rather not breathe.

Ian Brantford
06-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Question for those who have use the current Mojo tower: can the swivelling wakeboard racks be reversed to swing in at the FRONT of the tower? If so, I could mount my hydrofoil rack to swing in at the back and thus solve that storage issue.

jmvotto
06-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Thanks! Were they the redesigned 2015 Axis models? While I value wakeboarding more than surfing, I want whatever I have to be fully qualified for both.

Also needed is hydrofoiling. Just about anything that can tow can accommodate that ride, but I need to affix a special aftermarket rack to carry the hydrofoil on the tower.

It was the 15 A24 , while nice just thought the mojo was sharper