PDA

View Full Version : Prop Question

SoTX
06-07-2006, 05:05 PM
Last weekend I was out and managed to damage the prop on my 05 XLV Gravity Games. So today I took the prop off and found it was a 13 x 15 1/2 x 1 1/8 Left OJ Prop. Called my dealer who is two hours from me and they had only one for $600.00. So I went on line and I was unable to find that size prop. One dealer called me back and said he had just called OJ and the OJ rep imedietly asked if my boat was a Moomba. Apperently they are phasing out this prop. OJ suggested I go to the 14 1/4 x 14 x 1 1/8 OJ Prop.
My question is, will this hurt my performance, will this damage my boat, will it fit my boat, if will work what kind of performance should I expect good or bad?
Thanks for any help.

three6ty
06-07-2006, 08:03 PM
There are many sizes of prop's you can use on your boat. It all depends on what you want out of your boat.
If you load your boat down with 2000+ lbs of ballast then you will want some thing like a 13.5 X 16.5 or smaller. It will have a great holeshot but your top end speed will suffer. ( probably lose about 3-5 miles an hour off your top end).
A standard 14 X 18 will serve your purpose just fine if you only run up to 1500lbs of ballast. ( these are what were outfitted on the original XLV in 2004 . Their so-called wakeboard Prop ( or high altitude prop) was a 13.5 X 17.5 .
the 14 X 18 will give you a good hole shot and your top end will be what the factory and Transmisson and V-drive unit are made for. By over or under propping the boat you may void the warranty. The tranny and V-drive units are geared for the prop that is reccomended and outfitted to your boat.

I have a 2004 XLV with 2000lbs of ballast plus 4-5 adult passangers and I run the 13.5 X 17.5 Prop. It has a incredible holeshot and gets on plane very quick and I still can top end at about 41 mph at 4500 rpm's. Compared to the 14X18 top end at 44 mph at 4250 rpm's.

Do some research and dig deeper as to why you need the prop you are buying. Good Luck

http://www.wakeside.com/page/W/CTGY/moomba_v_drive_propellers

05mobiusxlv
06-08-2006, 02:28 AM
I bent mine last year, and my dealer ordered me a new one for $450. $600 seems really high. I would spend a little more time shopping around. Maybe even call a different dealer? When I bent mine, I spent some time online, and found it even cheaper then $450. But my dealer let me borrow one the day after I bent mine, so I owed it to the dealership to buy one from them.

I also have the OJ 13.5 X 17.5 Prop. Great hole shot. I love it, but a hole shot is all that i'm interested in. I can't even remember the last time I have gone over 25mph.

SoTX
06-08-2006, 07:16 AM
I bought two new props from propsonline.com for $350.00 each. Almost half of what my dealer wanted. Besides my dealer is two hours away and they are absolutly the worst bunch I have ever dealt with. Their customer service is unbelievably horrable. In fact I believe the only reason they stay in business is they are the only Moomba dealer with in the centarl part of the state.
So with the 14 1/4 x 14 prop that I ordered is a bit bigger prop, does this mean a better hole shot or better top end. I am confused.

qb12
06-08-2006, 09:13 AM
sotx, sorry to hear about your dealer.

the 14 1/4 by 14 is awesome. I recently changed to this prop as per Brian's Raymonds recommendation. Much better hole shot when you are running a lot of weight and maintans speed much better.

I think you will really notice a big difference.

Doug

SoTX
06-08-2006, 09:57 AM
That is great to hear. Thanks a million

wakeboard dad
06-08-2006, 01:54 PM
From my experience - as liitle as that may be - as you go lower in pitch you gain top end speed. Conversely, greater pitch better hole shot.

three6ty
06-08-2006, 07:58 PM
DAD,
I think you have it backwards.
a 14 x 18 will have more top end than a 14 x 16 and so on. Also the lower the pitch the higher the RPM's for the same speed.

I could be wrong but I had this conversation with someone else not long ago.
If I am wrong , I apologize.

Ian Brantford
08-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Could someone please post the model number of the OJ 14 1/4 by 14 prop that has been discussed here, and good places to order it? I am looking to upgrade after adding ballast to my XLV. I take it that a 1 1/8" shaft is the right one.

I tried...

http://propsonline.com --> occupied by cybersquatter iguide.com

http://www.propellersonline.com/OJprops4bl.php --> no matching model is apparent

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1084 --> no matching model is apparent

Thanx
Ian

JoeTechie
08-15-2006, 11:54 PM
No problem Ian,

Here is a PDF file:
OJ Prop Part #s (http://www.ojprops.com/site/OJProps_XMPList.pdf)

The "XMP Edge" is what you are looking for. 14.25x14 - forget which cup size - qb12 should be able to look for you.

-Joe

qb12
08-16-2006, 08:37 AM
For those looking for the xmp "keyed" 14.25 X 14 vdrive prop it is item number 101705 at discount inboard marine. price $383.00

i have had great performance from this prop.

Ian Brantford
08-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the responses. I take it that this is the exact item:

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OJ466

I see at http://www.propellersonline.com/OJprops4bl.php that they push puller kits. I have only ever changed the prop on my old I/O, and that required nothing more than a big set of pliers. Do I need a puller kit, or does propellersonline just want me to think that?

Thanx
Ian

qb12
08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Ian, Skidim, does have the "oj" prop removal kis. I have on and it is nice. I keep my back up in there.

Yes that is the prop. It was at my door in 2 days of ordering it.

BensonWdby
08-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Yes you do need a puller kit. These boats use a tapered shaft instead of a spline in the ID.
As soonas you get your puller, try taking the propeller off. This will get you familiar with the process so when it happens on the lake you can get it out of thwater and swap props in about 10-15 minutes.

Ian Brantford
08-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies! My order for a prop and puller form skidim is on its way. I'll have to get my pulling practise to put the new one on anyway.

Father of 5
08-30-2006, 05:02 PM
A side note to this discussion of repairing props. My prop had some damage and I contacted Tacoma Propeller. They retail a lot of props on line. The man I spoke to recommended I repair it instead of replace it. $120 later the prop looks and runs likes new and I had them add some cupping to make it easier to run barefoot speeds.

Ian Brantford
09-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Ian Brantford

Thanks for the replies! My order for a prop and puller form skidim is on its way. I'll have to get my pulling practise to put the new one on anyway.

Done. The OJ 14 1/4 x 14 prop arrived here in Ottawa, Canada in less than a week, but I didn't get to try it out until yesterday. This prop satisfies! Now my alternate driver and I have to re-learn how to start, because it's so easy to start too fast when the boat isn't weighted.

Top speed is now 38MPH (down from 44), and might have been 39 or 40 if there was no wind. However, I saw mention somethere on this forum about this prop running 500 RPM slower at 22 MPH -- nonsense! It's about what you'd expect from a lower-pitch prop. Mine runs 150-175 RPM higher at 22 MPH -- approx 2750 RPM unweighted, 2950 weighted. It varied a bit because of shifting wind yesterday. That was with only 3 adults present, so it might top 3000 RPM with a full boat. Regardless, at all riding speeds, the engine has a notably lower tone, which I'll take to mean that it's not labouring nearly as much.

One thing that I noted was that the RPM range for riding speeds is compressed. That is, any riding speed from 17 to 24 MPH now happens within an RPM range of maybe 2600-3000 RPM, whereas it used to be perhaps 2100-3000. I'm going from memory... and it's quite possible that I'll never have the original prop installed again to check.

Thanks again for the pointers to this propeller!
Ian

sailing217
10-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Someone I know is trying to get rid of a 14/20 LH OJ Prop from his MC V-drive and comes in a hard Spare Case, Prop Puller, other hardware bits for $125 brand new. Could I ever run the Prop?

The Spare Case Set is $150 without the prop online. From what I've been reading it sounds like a lot of top end speed, maybe for barefooting. Probably 06' Mooby LSV pulling kids for all watersports, occasional ballast (still may get an 06' XLV leftover).