PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speaker Questions

cpropes2005
06-22-2015, 03:15 PM
I am looking at tower speakers and need some help deciding on what to get as well as some technical help on how the install might work.

I will use them primarily for surfing and just floating around the boat so I have narrowed it down to a single pair of wetsounds ICON 8’s and a syn 2 amp or the exile SXT9’s with the XM30.2 amp. For either setup I want to get a big enough amp so that if I ever decide to add a second pair of speakers I won’t need to upgrade the amp. Any opinions one way or the other between those two choices? Any other options I should consider?

On the technical side I currently have the stock sub and bow speaker option setup (it’s a kicker 800.5 amp powering the in boats and sub) with the fusion head unit. The head unit has independent zone control for 2 zones but only one of the zones has an RCA out. The other zone is the speaker output from the head unit itself. Can I hook up the new tower speaker amp to the speaker outputs from the head unit so that I still have the zone control function? I am pretty much a stereo novice so sorry if that is a silly question. I have done a few basic installs but there has always been a simple RCA out to hook up the amp.

wolfeman131
06-22-2015, 04:06 PM
cpropes, do you know how to use the search function on this forum?

This question has been asked, debated, flamed, etc. about 100 times.

David & Brian - neither of you need to reply to the first 1/2 of the above. If either or you would like to help with the 2nd, "technical" 1/2 of the post, it would be most welcome.

Cross the line and I'll delete the post and ban your user profile for 7 days.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/numberedart/dirty20harry20002.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/numberedart/media/dirty20harry20002.jpg.html)

cpropes2005
06-22-2015, 04:54 PM
Haha, sorry I didn't realize I was touching a nerve. I have searched around and most everything I have found says they are both great. I am sure that's what most of the replys would say but I figured I would put it up for discussion since this is a discussion board.

Anyways, any help on the install question would be great so everyone please dis regard the first part of my post.

MLA
06-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Any other options I should consider?

The larger 10" Rev-10 is going to have about 50% more surface are then both 8" sxt-9 and Icon-8. This not only equals more output, but deeper mid-bass. Paired with a Syn-2 and theres room to upgrade, but i doubt you would even need to. Pair it with a Syn-4, which would allow for summed-mono operation, and I think you would be most satified with a single pair, considering you feel confident in an 8" coax.

What model Fusion? Find it odd that it only has a single pair of pre-amp RCA outputs. If so, an EQ or the Kicker ZXM-RLC zone control, would solve this. With the KXM800.5, would could have 3 zone control.

beat taco
06-23-2015, 12:28 AM
If you think you would ever need four get horns! Or buy the coax setup and sell it later. Or buy my buddies 4 who didn't listen to me.

cpropes2005
06-23-2015, 09:00 AM
Yeah, the main reason for looking at the coax setup is because some of the comments I have read said they have better near field sound and don't project like the horn style speakers. I want to be able to hear our music when we are anchored or surfing but I don't need to have it super loud and the less other boaters/waterfront property owners can hear it the better for me. It would be a nice bonus to be able to hear them while wakeboarding on the rare occasion we aren't out with a bunch of little kids and are able to turn it up loud but sound quality while wakeboarding is probably the lowest thing on my priority list.

Honestly, a single pair of coax would probably be all I ever need but in theory I like the idea of being able to use the swivel mounts to point a speaker out all 4 sides of the boat for when we are anchored and possibly swimming all around the boat and not just directly behind it.

Brianinpdx
06-24-2015, 11:47 AM
On the technical side I currently have the stock sub and bow speaker option setup (it’s a kicker 800.5 amp powering the in boats and sub) with the fusion head unit. The head unit has independent zone control for 2 zones but only one of the zones has an RCA out. The other zone is the speaker output from the head unit itself. Can I hook up the new tower speaker amp to the speaker outputs from the head unit so that I still have the zone control function? I am pretty much a stereo novice so sorry if that is a silly question. I have done a few basic installs but there has always been a simple RCA out to hook up the amp.[/QUOTE]

-- ON the Tech side: The fusion unit is a good head unit, but it is still a head unit - meaning you'll have to do the fading @ the unit itself fiddling with the deck every time. I believe it has 2 outputs. If you want super easy zone control of your towers (which is a good idea) you have two options.

1) Install a simple volume control knob that is wired in front of the amplifier to provide for volume up and down. You'd mount this on your dashboard so its within easy reach. fairly in expensive.

2) Install a pre amp eq that offers zone control for all of your areas in the boat (tower / cabin / sub). This would mount in the helm area within easy reach of the captain. It'll be more expensive but offers more features

If I'm not mistaken - I think you rang me while I was boating in Las Vegas yesterday? The whole day was somewhat hazy... If you need more tech info, feel free to reach out again. I'm back in portland today.

-Brian

KG's Supra24
06-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Any other options I should consider?

Rev10 and done. Both of best worlds ... long distance and sound quality.

viking
06-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Rev10 and done. Both of best worlds ... long distance and sound quality.

With a pair of swivel mounts so you can turn them as the OP indicated he'd like. BOOM solves all your dilema's!

wolfeman131
06-24-2015, 12:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken - I think you rang me while I was boating in Las Vegas yesterday?

Lake Meade?

cpropes2005
06-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Ok thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I will have to take another look at the Rev10's as an option.

The hu is the stock fusion unit that comes on the 2015. I believe it is the 205 or 250 series and if I can make it work with the built in zone control I want to try and go that route. The way they have it setup it is actually really easy to control the zones independently, you just press the volume knob once which brings up the zone display and if you want to control one zone independently you just press it again to select the individual zone and adjust the volume. There is no digging through menus to find a fade or balance setting or anything like that. You can also set max volume level for each zone. The added benefit is that you have the same functionality in the transom remote which would be lost if I end up with an eq or separate volume knobs. After doing a little more research it looks like any decent amp will accept the higher voltage speaker outputs so I will just try wiring the tower speaker amp up to the hu speaker output on zone 1 and the inboat amp to the RCA output on zone 2 and see what happens.

cpropes2005
06-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Oh and Brian no it wasn't me that called but I definitely appreciate the feedback.

Brianinpdx
06-24-2015, 02:04 PM
CP - definitely stick with the HU if its that easy. The Fusion I saw at the boat show was a digger. I like the maxing out volume for each zone independent.

beat taco
06-25-2015, 01:57 AM
So horns are now an option?

BamaMojo
06-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Ok thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I will have to take another look at the Rev10's as an option.

The hu is the stock fusion unit that comes on the 2015. I believe it is the 205 or 250 series and if I can make it work with the built in zone control I want to try and go that route. The way they have it setup it is actually really easy to control the zones independently, you just press the volume knob once which brings up the zone display and if you want to control one zone independently you just press it again to select the individual zone and adjust the volume. There is no digging through menus to find a fade or balance setting or anything like that. You can also set max volume level for each zone. The added benefit is that you have the same functionality in the transom remote which would be lost if I end up with an eq or separate volume knobs. After doing a little more research it looks like any decent amp will accept the higher voltage speaker outputs so I will just try wiring the tower speaker amp up to the hu speaker output on zone 1 and the inboat amp to the RCA output on zone 2 and see what happens.

Cpropes,
I did an Audio upgrade in the offseason. I decided to go hlcd for towers and I am glad I spent the few extra $$. I also added the ZLD to have controls for each zone and I could not be happier. IMHO of you are going tower speakers you NEED independent volume control for EACH zone. JMO, good luck and post pics.

2012 Mojo

MLA
06-25-2015, 04:52 PM

Seek out a local dealer and get a live demo. Hopefully they have icons on display as well, so you can get a feel for the difference between an 8" coax like the Icon-8 and sxt9 and a 10" HLCD like the Rev-10. That extra surface area really makes a difference.

Woody929
06-26-2015, 04:08 PM
I just ran across this Supra on the way home. I had to turn the car around to get a picture. You could always do something like this:
http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XRb2rDZ/0/M/i-XRb2rDZ-M.jpg

David Analog
06-26-2015, 04:40 PM
I just ran across this Supra on the way home. I had to turn the car around to get a picture. You could always do something like this:
http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XRb2rDZ/0/M/i-XRb2rDZ-M.jpg

Makes you wonder if it is coincidence that the boat is parked in front of a place that does welding.

cpropes2005
06-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Lol. Yeah now I have another decision to make...should I go with a single pair of Icon8's, a single pair of rev10's or 30 tower speakers?? Its a tough call. :p