PDA

View Full Version : Walter V-Drive Warning Light

mjr119
06-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Okay so for the last 2 outings my v-drive warning light has been coming on intermittently.

At first start up everything is normal, I proceed to throttle up to wakeboard speeds, the light goes off at 1200 rpm as it should. After several minutes of cruising the light wil blink a few times then it stays solid. If I stop the boat and throttle up to wakeboard speeds again the light stays on constantly. But if I let the boat cool down a bit, the light will turn off at 1200 rpms but come on again after cruising like before.

The v-drive is full of oil. My process for checking is as follows:

Warm up to full operating temp at cruising speeds. Shut down boat an immediately check vdrive oil. It is at the "H" mark. If the boat sits for a few minutes the oil level is over the "H" mark.

I havent check the oil level when it's cold. I would assume it is quite a bit higher than the "H" mark.

Does this sound good?

I think my oil pressure sensor is bad. But would a bad sensor still turn the light off some?

I plan to check out the wiring and connections this evening. Could a melted wire cause this issue? I ask this because the last outing before this issue began, I was on the way to load the boat and I got a strong wiff of burnt electrical wiring while I was running at wakeboard speeds. It couldve been something or someone else. But just thought I would throw that out there because I have been thinking about it ever since.

parrothd
06-22-2015, 08:45 AM
There's a oil pressure sensor on the vdrive, port side with 2 or 3 wires on it. Replace it, skidm has them.

I usually ignore that light, at least on my boat its in a bad spot so you can't see it. Its easier just to check the level more often.

mjr119
06-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Yep I have located the sensor and see the wires coming from it. We used the boat anyways. I knew it had oil in it, and I know the walter's are pretty much bulletproof, so I didnt worry too much. Thanks!

mjr119
06-22-2015, 10:06 AM
It looks like the switch is $50 from SkiDim. I've read on other forums that TMI has the switches for $29. Anyone confirm this? I will call them asap, at work with meetings all day so cant call at the moment.

I also read that someone found the same 4psi switch locally at a napa. Can anyone confirm this?

parrothd
06-22-2015, 12:18 PM
The Napa one doesn't work, its actually reverse of what you need..

mjr119
06-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the heads up.
I called TMI at lunch but of course they do not answer the phone from 12-1. I will update on their price as soon as I figure it out.

mjr119
06-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Update: Transmission Marine Inc has the oil pressure sensors in stock for $31 shipped UPS ground. Not a bad price compared to other places!

I spoke with a gentleman named Tony, I believe. He was very helpful and made the ordering process quick and painless.

mjr119
06-24-2015, 03:32 PM
DAM they got me with the bait and switch. Looked at my account today and they charged me $45.81. The salesman mentioned the method of shipping and how long it should take, but he forgot to mention that it was extra plus a $2.50 handling charge. He said it will be $31, I assumed it would be $31.

Oh well, not sweating the extra $15, just keep that in mind if you choose to order from TMI. Certainly not a deal breaker because the part is still less than anywhere else advertised online.

mjr119
06-29-2015, 08:46 PM
Update:

Received the part. It is a Honeywell 2 psi unit. Is this correct? The install went smooth as expected. The threads seemed to be slightly longer. I guess this will not affect function would it be okay to put some thread tape on this? It seems like a little bit of oil has seeped out. It was especially visible on the old unit.

I took the boat out yesterday and the light goes off but still comes on intermittently. If you down down and go to neutral and accelerate again it will go off and stay off. Only coming on every now and then. It's full of oil. Could it be too full?

mikenehrkorn
06-30-2015, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure on the older models, but that's the way my '13 works -- the light is on when under 1000 RPM and then goes out and stays out when over 1000.

mjr119
06-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Yes it is supposed to turn off at 1200 rpms. Which it does, but if Im cruising at wakeboard speeds it will come on sometimes. Until I slow down and either stop or go to neutral, then accelerate past 1200 rpm, it will turn off again, possibly coming on again after a few minutes of cruising. It isnt consistent.

mjr119
07-14-2015, 02:51 PM
Okay so the vdrive warning light goes off at 1200 rpms as it should. But it will pop back on after a few minutes of cruising. If I stop the boat and restart it, and accelerate, then light goes off and comes back on again after a minute or two.

What else could I check?

The sending unit works by using oil pressure to "break" the contact point, making the light go off. What could be causing my problem? The light works like it should be then doesnt work after a few minutes of cruising.