PDA

View Full Version : help! new owner! boat dying!

CMAC21
06-21-2015, 10:06 PM
I've got a 2006 Mobius LSV. Bought it this year. It had 210 hrs on it and I've put about 25 hrs on it so far. This weekend i ran into some problems. I would run for around 30-45 min and then it would start sputtering(spelling?) And then would die. After about 45min it wwould run fine again and do it all over. I'm new to this as I don't know much about the motor. Any help would be awesome! I wanted to check here first before i took it in to get checked out. Thanks in advance guys. I appreciate it

Mobius22
06-22-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm guessing you're vapor locking. Aka your engine is getting hot either from the outside air or poor ventilation and literally turning your liquid gas into vapor. This usually happens when it's really hot outside so I'm guessing that's the culprit. To fix it, we would just stop open up the engine lid and pour water on the engine. Usually takes about 5-10 minutes to cool it off.

moombahighrider
06-22-2015, 11:23 AM
I was wondering about this too, but vapor lock typically only happens after you have been running for a while and then stop and rest for a good amount of time- then the vapor lock condition shows itself when you go to start the motor again. From the OP's brief description of the situation, I did not read it going down like that.

Möbius22, does yours vapor lock while running? I have not heard of that happening before.

We need a more detailed description of what is happening and the events surrounding the situation.

zabooda
06-22-2015, 11:39 AM
That was the era of vapor locking.

Mobius22
06-22-2015, 11:40 AM
From my experience when we had this issue a few years ago, Vapor lock could happen anytime. Turning the engine off and letting it sit while very hot would make the problem worse though. You're right, probably need more information before we say it's one thing. Just saw sputtering and really hot temps and made me assume it's vapor lock especially since it's a 2006.

CMAC21
06-22-2015, 11:56 AM
I'm in Alabama. So temp here is mid 90's with high humidity. It happened twice yesterday, once after pulling inner tube for 30 min. Pulled up and cut the engine off to swim, swim for 20 min and wouldn't crank. We pulled it back across the river to our pier opened the engine compartment looked around to see anything noticeable and checked the oil then it cranked right up. The 2nd time we we're pulling wake boarder. They were trying new things so it wasn't a consistent pull. Fall then wakeboard a couple passed across the wake then fall. That for about 30 min then it started that sputter like it wasn't getting gas then cut off. And I didn't run it anymore after that. I've still got the boat in the water so I can check to see how the blowers are blowing? Maybe that's a little more detailed for you guys. Thanks again! As this is my first inboard so I'm still new

Mobius22
06-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Yeah, sounds like vapor lock to me.

CMAC21
06-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks Mobius22. I'm going to give that a look. I appreciate it

CMAC21
06-22-2015, 12:05 PM
When you would pour water on it, literally pour water straight on the engine? Did you take the top cover off(that plastic piece)? Or just pour around it?

wolfeman131
06-22-2015, 12:15 PM
leave the blower on, open the engine hatch at rest, add blue marine stabil to your gas, pour water on the fuel filter first, then maybe fuel pump after that. searchthe forum for more details

Mobius22
06-22-2015, 12:50 PM
I agree with Drew

moombahighrider
06-23-2015, 09:09 PM
I pour water on the fuel pump, not the motor. It's the fuel pump that is susceptible to vapor lock, at least on my boat. I keep a water bottle aside just for that purpose. The situation 1 that you describe is definitely vapor lock.