PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Outback V adding ballast questions

off2fly
06-21-2015, 01:01 PM
:confused::confused: Gentlemen,I have been reading this forum and can see where putting 750 fat sac in each locker is best combo for wake boarding and just use one on port side for surfing. When I measure my lockers I don't have the 20" height where they need to go under the glass crossmember at back seats.... Thanks,Vann 2012 Moomba Outback V Baby

off2fly
06-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Pic's of what I'm talking about. Or will bags be okay to just cram under there? Thanks, Vann

nitrodude24
06-21-2015, 05:28 PM
The carpeted piece is actually a covered piece of hdpe board if you want to remove it you will gain a couple more inches of height. Or the bag will just fill to the size that the locker allows. I removed these on our lsv and our new mojo.

off2fly
06-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Yes Sir I took that off and still have only 18" and the 750# bags look like they al come 20X20x 50, wondering what others w this boat use?

nitrodude24
06-21-2015, 09:40 PM
Just because the bags are 20x20x50 doesn't mean they won't fit. They will fill to the lockers capacity if that's 18x20x50 then it maybe only 725lbs but that's better than 600s or 650s which are stock locker bags on most new moombas, there are normally a lot of one's in the classifieds for sale as most upgrade as I did right out of the box. If you want some to fit exactly wakemakers Is offering custom sized bags now. They will be the other option if you only want a 18" tall bag

off2fly
06-21-2015, 10:13 PM
Nitrodude,thanks for the help. I just got this baby the end of last season. My kids just want to Surf and wake board and my son is doing great and wants more wake... I have zero experience with ballast. I was just worried the bag rubbing on that bulkhead will Damage the bag....So just put less water in and forget it? Thanks Vann. Loving this Moomba

nitrodude24
06-21-2015, 11:07 PM
If we want maximum weight which on your surf side we always fill to whatever capacity the bag will take when it's full it doesn't move much. We just fill until we get water out the thru hull vent with our bigger bags. I think you will be too.

Birdman
06-21-2015, 11:18 PM
i have a 13 and the 750's fit no problem they fill the compartment up perfect and i have had no issues since I've put them in. you might have to remove the one plastic strap for the fill hose tho or it might kink the hose as the bag fills above where the strap is attached

TheDude
06-22-2015, 06:18 AM
I just added a 750 to my '15 OBV. No worries, mate.

off2fly
06-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the feedback. Come on weekend.......

Outback Skid
06-22-2015, 06:14 PM
I just put 750's in my 2012 OBV this weekend. Fit perfect in compartment with no modifications. Pretty sure they filled to max with room to spare. You are going to love the difference in the wake with upgrade. Enjoy Vann!

2012 OBV

Outback Skid
06-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Only recommendation would be to buy fittings for new bags. I tried to get the ones off my factory 400's and got scared I was going to mess the fitting up. Not very expensive.

2012 OBV

off2fly
06-22-2015, 06:55 PM
I can't wait. Anyone added any in the front? My OBV just has the one bag in the center locker.... Not sure if that V shaped bag would fit under the seats in front or even if it will need any? A little scary now ,it don't take much for a wall of water to slam you in the face...LoL ��

mikenehrkorn
06-23-2015, 07:56 AM
I added the IBS (V shaped bag you mentioned) under the bow seats to my '13 OBV and plumbed it off the center sac -- fairly easy mod, just need some extra hose, a few fittings and a check valve. If you do a search on the forum you will find several folks who give some great instructions on how to complete the task.

off2fly
06-23-2015, 12:10 PM
I added the IBS (V shaped bag you mentioned) under the bow seats to my '13 OBV and plumbed it off the center sac -- fairly easy mod, just need some extra hose, a few fittings and a check valve. If you do a search on the forum you will find several folks who give some great instructions on how to complete the task.

So you needed the extra weight up front??

mikenehrkorn
06-23-2015, 12:43 PM
So you needed the extra weight up front??

I wouldn't say that the extra weight up front is a necessity, but it does seems to give the pocket more length. That extra weight in the bow also gives the boat more front to back balance with the larger, upgraded sacs in the rear lockers. But that also brings the bow down closer to the water so watch those rollers!! :)

I have also been playing around with a "ghetto gate" that I'm hoping helps with the length of the pocket as well while allowing more even weighting of the boat side to side. I will post my findings and thoughts on the gate in the near future.

off2fly
06-23-2015, 07:01 PM
Cool, thanks man. Never heard of a ghetto gate,going to have to search that one out.